I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade to OS 7.1. as I'm tired of waiting for Rogers to release it. I downloaded Bell's 7.1.0.921 version from the Blackberry Canada site. Is this a good release? Has anyone experienced problems with it?
    04-06-12 11:01 AM
    Hum... I think you have the app version listed here. .921 is not released yet. You have the 7.1.0.267 with app version 7.1.0.921.

And, yes it is a good OS and I am very happy with it. No major issue at all.

There was minor thing where the backlight automatically goes up upon reboot if it is set to the lowest setting. This can be fixed by turning on the battery savings mode and setting the backlight to the lowest setting and then turning it off.
    04-06-12 11:06 AM
    I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade to OS 7.1. as I'm tired of waiting for Rogers to release it. I downloaded Bell's 7.1.0.921 version from the Blackberry Canada site. Is this a good release? Has anyone experienced problems with it?
    If you are going to take the plunge you might as well go for the most up to date version of 7.1 which is .342.

I have had it installed since the day it leaked and it has been stable with good battery life and no memory leaks.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...4CF2C1AD240B6C
    04-06-12 11:11 AM
    Do I have to shrink the OS?
    04-06-12 11:14 AM
    Do I have to shrink the OS?
    Totally optional, there is plenty of memory capacity in the 9900 to deal with the size of the current OS's.
    04-06-12 11:18 AM
    OK, thanks very much. Would you mind pointing me to the proper instructions for upgrading please?
    04-06-12 11:20 AM
    There should be instructions on Crackberry, search for "install leaked OS 7.1" in the forums.

Briefly, you download and install the release, plug in your phone and run the "loader" software directly (don't use Blackberry Desktop). You need to delete a couple of vendor.xml files and away you go.

Just backup your device in Blackberry Desktop and restore after the upgrade. OS 7.1 works like a charm. I'm on Rogers and was tired of waiting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    wxgirl likes this.
    04-06-12 11:29 AM
    OK, thanks very much. Would you mind pointing me to the proper instructions for upgrading please?
    I have always used DM rather than apploader.

Download and install the OS on your computer.

Delete the vendor.xml file (s) there may be one or 2.

Located in:

�64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    �32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader

and possibly

�64-bit: Computer\C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    �32-bit: Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Open DM and connect phone, update should show as being available to install.

ALWAYS DO A BACK UP BEFORE YOU START THE INSTALL PROCESS

Any problems just ask.
    wxgirl likes this.
    04-06-12 11:30 AM
    If you are an apploader kind of girl this is the best guide for you courtesy of Elite 1

ELITE1's OS UPGRADE GUIDE
    1.(Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from PC.
    2.Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, browser is irrelevant.)
    *If 100% certain you've previously used FF or Chrome on same PC to DL an OS successfully, feel free to use FF or Chrome again.
    3.Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4.On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5.Go through any 3rd party apps with option to save settings to media card. Conduct Backup to media card within each of these apps. (Examples: Bellshare apps like BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps like Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; etc).
    6.Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7.(Optional) Use desktop app like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8.On PC, delete Vendor file located here:
    �64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    9.(Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss v2.2 or BBH Tool (formerly Shrink-A-OS).
    10.In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click Loader to load OS to BB. Follow onscreen instructions.
    11.After loading OS, perform several physical battery pulls over first 1-2 days for OS to "settle in." Perform first batt pull very soon after OS is loaded.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    How to Fix OS not Appearing as Available
    There are 2 common reasons:

A. HIDDEN VENDOR FILE
    Consider trying this new desktop app to remove Vendor from several common locations:
    Vendor XML Remover V1.0

If manually deleting Vendor, always hold down SHIFT and press DELETE to permanently delete.
    Check here first:
    �64-bit: Computer\C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    �32-bit: Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    If Loader still doesn't make new OS available, search PC for "Vendor".

If Vendor is not found anywhere, see below to delete contents of AppLoader folder. (Folder where you found Loader & Vendor.)

B. APPLOADER FOLDER ITEMS1.Uninstall the OS: Control Panel\Programs and Features, highlight this BlackBerry Device Software, click Uninstall at top.
    2.Delete AppLoader folder contents: Highlight any item, CTRL+A to select all, SHIFT+DELETE to permanently delete.
    3.Restart PC.
    4.Re-install OS on PC: Go to your browser's downloads section, double-click OS to start InstallShield Wizard.
    5.Delete Vendor: Return to AppLoader folder, highlight Vendor, SHIFT+DELETE.
    6.Load OS to BB: Attach BB to PC, double-click Loader (in AppLoader folder, where you deleted Vendor).
    04-06-12 11:33 AM
    Thanks for all your help, guys.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    04-06-12 11:40 AM
    Thanks for all your help, guys.
    No problem, it's what we are here for.

Hope all goes Ok, any problems YELL !!!
    04-06-12 11:42 AM
    I'm on Bhell and I'm using 7.1.0.342 from Cellcom Wireless Israel but it's probably no different from the same release from Telenor. I always go for the latest unless there's a good reason not to. When I originally upgraded to 7.1, I went with Bhell's release and I wiped the phone first. When I upgraded to 7.1.0.284 and 7.1.0.342, I didn't wipe the phone, but I did shrink the OS using bbhtool. I highly recommend that, as it allows you to get rid of things you don't want or need on the phone. After the shrink was done, I shut down bbhtool, started DM and it immediately recognized the available upgrade. It was a piece of cake. bbhtool is very easy to use. I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any questions.
    wxgirl likes this.
    04-06-12 01:16 PM
    7.1 bundle 921 is available to Sprint customers. Lets Get It!!!(Young Jeezy voice)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    wxgirl likes this.
    04-06-12 01:23 PM
    Beside some minor bugs the Bell version its great. I'm using it since the official release, my only suggestion is to wipe first the phone before upgrading to OS 7.1.
    wxgirl likes this.
    04-06-12 01:52 PM
    Beside some minor bugs the Bell version its great. I'm using it since the official release, my only suggestion is to wipe first the phone before upgrading to OS 7.1.
    The Bhell release has been superseded by three releases (284, 318 and 342). Why not go for the newest release, since none of them are from Robbers anyway?
    04-06-12 04:26 PM
    ya, you might as well upgrade to .342 since youre installing a new os, then see how the bb does with it
    04-06-12 04:30 PM
    I think I know the answer, but just would like confirmation.

There is no way to upgrade if I'm on Mac OSX, right?

Thanks Crackberry!
    04-07-12 08:32 AM
    I think I know the answer, but just would like confirmation.

There is no way to upgrade if I'm on Mac OSX, right?

Thanks Crackberry!
    Seems like it can be done.

Hope this helps:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://f...9A90eSKTXD9-Cg
    04-07-12 08:43 AM
    The Bhell release has been superseded by three releases (284, 318 and 342). Why not go for the newest release, since none of them are from Robbers anyway?
    I have gone back to 7.1.0.205, I have found it to be most stable,has good reception and best on battery life
    04-07-12 11:14 AM
    I have gone back to 7.1.0.205, I have found it to be most stable,has good reception and best on battery life
    I never tried 205 because it was never officially released. Once I went from OS 7.0 which had terrible battery life, I really didn't notice much difference between the three OS 7.1 releases I've used, so I just went with the newest. There is no right answer that satisfies everyone. If you're happy with 205, good for you.
    04-07-12 11:22 AM
    I never tried 205 because it was never officially released. Once I went from OS 7.0 which had terrible battery life, I really didn't notice much difference between the three OS 7.1 releases I've used, so I just went with the newest. There is no right answer that satisfies everyone. If you're happy with 205, good for you.
    I agree, not really noticed much difference between the last 3 7.1 builds.

No rumours surfacing regarding potential new features so I guess that future OS releases will probably be evolution rather than revolution.

Bottom line is that the best OS is the one that works for you on your device doing what you do with it.
    04-07-12 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD