I was the very 1st person to purchase a Sprint Bold 9930, Sunday August 21, 2011 at 10am at the BlackBerry Store in Farmington Hills, MI. I've had my Bold 9930 almost a year, and really do love it. But I also have an ipad 2 & ipod touch 4, so I do see BOTH the good and bad in the Bold 9930 compared to them. My question to those who still love thier Bold 9930's, but love the ipad & ipod for they do...What will you do come Summer of 2013? will it be a re-vamped Bold OS10? or a iphone 6?
    06-17-12 03:41 PM
    Unless the iPhone comes with a completely revamped OS, than no, I won't be purchasing. I like the current OS' but it gets boring after awhile lol.

I'll probably get a BB10 device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 04:06 PM
    Wow, I can't think that far ahead. Let's just hope there is a 2013 first lol.
    06-17-12 05:39 PM
    Wow, I can't think that far ahead. Let's just hope there is a 2013 first lol.
    Are you implying RIM's OS10 may not make it, or be so behind the competition, It may not be even relevent to discuss a 2013 BlackBerry?
    phonejunky likes this.
    06-17-12 05:49 PM
    Are you implying RIM's OS10 may not make it, or be so behind the competition, It may not be even relevent to discuss a 2013 BlackBerry?
    Lol, no, I was implying there might not be a 2013, according to the mayans anyway. That's all.
    06-17-12 06:06 PM
    The iphone is a nice device, but I love my 9930. He!! I can't think that far ahead anyway.
    06-17-12 06:29 PM
    The 9900/9930 are two totally different devices in my opinion. The Bold is for Messaging (thats pretty much it) and the iphone is for media, apps, and web (and not messaging).
    06-17-12 06:40 PM
    Lol, no, I was implying there might not be a 2013, according to the mayans anyway. That's all.

Lol you believe in that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 06:59 PM
    to me these are 2 completely different phones. RIM should have the first QNX powered Bold out by early 2013 but at that time you have the iphone releasing later this year or another 3-4 months until another iphone is released. For what phone will be better its going to be personal preference on how important the keyboard is to you IMO.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-17-12 07:01 PM
    I am talking about what it excels in. I think you will agree that apps are not quite the same on Blackberry phones. Media, thats a no brainer, the iphone has a bigger (retina) display (although the bold screen is pretty good too). The web browser is way faster and smoother on iphone.

But then the iphone sucks for messaging.
    06-17-12 07:06 PM
    In the smart phone world new devices come out daily so to predict that far out is impossible to do. From what I have read and seen the bb10 devices should give every other platform a run for its money.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 07:08 PM
    BB10 may give iOS and Android a run for it's money, but it will never see the same market share. It's way too late in the game, and from what i'm seeing so far, BB10 (although powerful and cool) Isn't much BETTER than the other platforms. More like another choice.
    06-17-12 07:12 PM
    I am talking about what it excels in. I think you will agree that apps are not quite the same on Blackberry phones. Media, thats a no brainer, the iphone has a bigger (retina) display (although the bold screen is pretty good too). The web browser is way faster and smoother on iphone.

But then the iphone sucks for messaging.

I don't know about you, but I've found web browsing on my Torch 9810 to be pretty quick, easily coming quite close to (or equalling) my Amaze 4G over wifi for most straight-forward tasks. If we were comparing say the curve 9360/9380 or even the bold 9790, then the argument of a slower browser is valid, as the network speeds of the iPhone alone are significantly faster, but any of the qualcom-based BlackBerry phones do manage to hold their own alright.

I do agree on apps, not a lot of companies put out an app for Blackberry, and those that do it is often obvious that there are major design and performance differences between the iOS versions and Blackberry versions, though that is set to change for BB10 I believe.

I honestly think that the generation of upcoming QNX devices are going to surprise iOS and Android users quite a bit in showing just how capable they can be, and how versatile too... just as long as battery life and device durability aren't sacrificed in the process.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 07:21 PM
    I don't know about you, but I've found web browsing on my Torch 9810 to be pretty quick, easily coming quite close to (or equalling) my Amaze 4G over wifi for most straight-forward tasks. If we were comparing say the curve 9360/9380 or even the bold 9790, then the argument of a slower browser is valid, as the network speeds of the iPhone alone are significantly faster, but any of the qualcom-based BlackBerry phones do manage to hold their own alright.

I do agree on apps, not a lot of companies put out an app for Blackberry, and those that do it is often obvious that there are major design and performance differences between the iOS versions and Blackberry versions, though that is set to change for BB10 I believe.

I honestly think that the generation of upcoming QNX devices are going to surprise iOS and Android users quite a bit in showing just how capable they can be, and how versatile too... just as long as battery life and device durability aren't sacrificed in the process.
    The Playbook Browser is amazing, apps are real apps (although not as many good quality apps...yet) and multitasking is amazing. Definitely has the potential fora great platform, although I still question whether it will take a big bite out of Android or iOS.
    06-17-12 10:05 PM
    Wow! You went deep sea fishing with that assumption. (jk)

AT any rate, I have owned numerous BlackBerries and several iPhones. Personally, I like them both. I have also used both for personal use and work. While my preference is BlackBerry, my options are open to what's available and meets my needs. Right now, I'm enjoying my Torch 2.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 06-17-12 at 10:24 PM.
    06-17-12 10:17 PM
    Considering how slow RIM grows, I think by 2013, there may be no more BlackBerry. Hopefully the company that buy off RIM will in the near future will come up with better phones that use faster data speed compared to stone age BIS.
    06-17-12 11:01 PM
    Considering how slow RIM grows, I think by 2013, there may be no more BlackBerry. Hopefully the company that buy off RIM will in the near future will come up with better phones that use faster data speed compared to stone age BIS.

BIS is only limited by the speed of your own personal connection... so if you're on an older model phone like the Bold 9000 or 9700 you are stuck at a peak speed of 3.2 Mbps. However, if you're on one of the three or four devices that have the Snapdragon processor (Bold 9900/9930, Torch 9810/9850/9860), you clip along at a decent 14 Mbps peak speed. What's more, going over wifi can mean even faster speeds. And think on this: instead of having to process full-size amounts of data on your device, the BIS compacts the data down to better transmit it from the BIS server to your phone... so, you know, if you're one of those people who actually does live in an edge coverage zone (or are stuck on a CDMA carrier with a peak data speed of 3.1 Mbps for 3G), your data will probably go through a touch faster than it would for someone using the iPhone or another Android device within the same coverage area on the same network type... just because it gets compacted down.

What slows down access speeds is often the device itself. the older / slower processors aren't able to as quickly process information as the newer more current BlackBerry phones. Not as much ram in the older devices either.

To be honest, IF RIM doesn't make it through into 2013 (assuming, you know, the mayans really didn't count for the leap year), the company taking over them may have a slightly tougher time deciding whether or not to just shut off the BIS... though we will see what happens with the new BB10 phones and if they even use BIS, last I heard there were some little rumblings that the QNX software doesn't like to work well with the BIS...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-18-12 01:26 AM
    It is far too early right now for any recommendations. The first BB10 device isn't even out yet, same for the next iPhone. A real Bold successor won't be there before 2013N which fits of course your requested timeframe. However we don't have a clue how it might look.

We don't even have a final impression of BB10. Everything we got so far is a Developer Device and those early UI snaps. BB10 will surely be a large step ahead for every Blackberry user, especially because of the radically new UI. If I take a look at BB5 pics, comparing them with my BB7 9900, there hasn't much change on the frontend. Same with iOS by the way, many people are complaining iOS6 is not fresh enough, iOS would get boring. BB10 however is fresh and we'll have to wait and see how it feels, how it will be accepted by developers and consumers and what kind of devices we'll get.
    06-18-12 04:12 AM
    The 9900/9930 are two totally different devices in my opinion. The Bold is for Messaging (thats pretty much it) and the iphone is for media, apps, and web (and not messaging).
    Sorry but the iPhone does quite well on messaging.

They are different
    anon(73368) likes this.
    06-18-12 05:28 AM
    Sorry but the iPhone does quite well on messaging.

They are different
    The "damn you autocorrect" websites tell a different story.
    Ferretling, morganplus8 and Chrisy like this.
    06-18-12 05:38 AM

December 21st is just around the corner. I'm hoping for the same thing!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 08:08 AM
    Let's just all face it. RIM will never make a phone that will be anywhere near as good as a Samsung galaxy s3 and will never have as many apps as ios or android. Blackberry is only good for bbm'in, texting, calling and being able to communicate securely knowing that you're messages cannot be infiltrated by hackers sitting at home using a pc. I just hate how people say oh will this manufacturer ever make a phone as good as another one.
    06-18-12 08:38 AM
    OS10 may take off. There was no iphone 5 years ago, no androids a few years back... There is space for someone to grow rapidly. With the right phone, anything can happen. lets be positive and hope for everyones sake that RIM pulls it off
    06-18-12 05:50 PM
    You must visit this website to find your answer: 8 Ball
    06-18-12 06:17 PM
    My iphone handles messaging just fine...However i do prefer the bb for certain functions...
    06-18-12 08:08 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD