Here we go:

This is the unofficial "I want my BB back but I want my apps" thread.

I was a previous Bold 9900 owner that moved to iPhone 4S, and while I adore both phones, I still find myself using e-mail more than ANYTHING because of school, and still am finding myself with little time for mobile gaming. However, the little things brought me to iPhone (Pandora WORKS all the time, FB doesn't freeze, etc, etc).

However, I'm regretting this decision, although impulsive it may be, simply because of BBM and e-mail. I would prefer the 9860 for its auto-focus camera and larger screen, but...*tear*

I want to come back because I know the e-mail app will not change much! Come on, BB 10. Give me a reason for my girlfriend to stay on her BB and for me to move back to BB.

PS - Can't just go back because my contract isn't up until December, but that's a good thing. I can weigh in on BB10.
    04-12-12 07:38 AM
    What carrier are you with? You may be able to upgrade already for the same price as a new three year contract, depending on the carrier, as long as you sign on for three years (Rogers lets you do it in the final year of your contract).

JB
    04-12-12 07:42 AM
    Cool thread idea! I went through this already so I'll post my journey.
    From the beginning:

http://forums.crackberry.com/marketp...9630-a-597646/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-guide-576203/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ndroid-643911/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...kberry-647015/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...kberry-660650/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/marketp...9650-a-664991/

So I'm glad to be back using BlackBerry even if it an older device (and a PlayBook). Hoping to win a 9930. Failing that, I am looking forward to upgrading to a BB10 device!

You have decide to what's important to you in a phone. Is it watching movies? Games? Specific apps? Email? Messaging? Notifications? Open source? Then you can make your decision based on your needs.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-12-12 at 07:50 AM.
    04-12-12 07:48 AM
    What carrier are you with? You may be able to upgrade already for the same price as a new three year contract, depending on the carrier, as long as you sign on for three years (Rogers lets you do it in the final year of your contract).

JB
    AT&T. The problem is that I flipped from iPhone 4S, got the Bold 9900, gave the iPhone to my mom, then swapped the 9900 for $325, bought an Android -- and hated it, traded it for iPhone 3GS, and traded that for my iPhone 4S back.

SO. I have a cell phone problem :P, but I do recall one of the Crackberry writers having all three phones that he switches between every now and then. Unfortunately, AT&T isn't easy. You have to get a different type of Data Plan each time. BB data plan gives access to BES/BIS and data, whereas iPhone data plan gives access to just data. So before I can get BES/BIS, I have to switch plans AND IMEIs, and that's too much trouble.

So I'm hoping that BB10 will be out this Christmas and be worthwhile. I could most likely deal with the apps that Playbook/BB10 have because there are alternatives, and they aren't terrible like the BB6/BB7 apps (in performance). Also, any features that I need, I can simply write a simple C app for personal use or for public release.

Either way, I miss my BB.
    04-12-12 07:49 AM
    Dude, check out Kijiji. Trade your ios device for the blackberry of your choice, plus cash. That's how i returned to Blackberryland. Love the Bold 9900. Love the Blackberry keyboard. Love os 7.1.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-12-12 08:29 AM
    just came back to the bold 9930 from Ios and android. I am glad I did. I enjoyed the other 2 platforms, but to me nothing beats a blackberry as a communication device. Now, I need to find me a PlayBook to go with the Bold and all will be good.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-12-12 08:44 AM
    AT&T. The problem is that I flipped from iPhone 4S, got the Bold 9900, gave the iPhone to my mom, then swapped the 9900 for $325, bought an Android -- and hated it, traded it for iPhone 3GS, and traded that for my iPhone 4S back.

SO. I have a cell phone problem :P, but I do recall one of the Crackberry writers having all three phones that he switches between every now and then. Unfortunately, AT&T isn't easy. You have to get a different type of Data Plan each time. BB data plan gives access to BES/BIS and data, whereas iPhone data plan gives access to just data. So before I can get BES/BIS, I have to switch plans AND IMEIs, and that's too much trouble.

So I'm hoping that BB10 will be out this Christmas and be worthwhile. I could most likely deal with the apps that Playbook/BB10 have because there are alternatives, and they aren't terrible like the BB6/BB7 apps (in performance). Also, any features that I need, I can simply write a simple C app for personal use or for public release.

Either way, I miss my BB.
    Are the data plans priced differently?

Rogers has different data plans for Blackberry's vs. Android/iPhone (all priced the same), but ultimately all that's needed for a Blackberry to work on the Rogers network is the IMEI number to be recorded on your account to gain access to the BIS. I'm also on the "smartphone family plan" which doesn't have different plans for different types of devices since it wouldn't be fair to make multiple people have the same type of device on a family plan. My wife has an Android and I use Blackberry. I'm not sure what type of plan you are on, but if you were to switch from an Android to a Blackberry phone on your own, would you have to get a new plan/sign a new contract to make the new one work?

JB
    04-12-12 09:10 AM
    Are the data plans priced differently?

Rogers has different data plans for Blackberry's vs. Android/iPhone (all priced the same), but ultimately all that's needed for a Blackberry to work on the Rogers network is the IMEI number to be recorded on your account to gain access to the BIS. I'm also on the "smartphone family plan" which doesn't have different plans for different types of devices since it wouldn't be fair to make multiple people have the same type of device on a family plan. My wife has an Android and I use Blackberry. I'm not sure what type of plan you are on, but if you were to switch from an Android to a Blackberry phone on your own, would you have to get a new plan/sign a new contract to make the new one work?

JB
    No, I just have to deal with a 15-min phone call every time I want to switch phones.

One of the biggest reasons I left is that BBM was SO much better than SMS, and a lot of my friends refused WhatsApp because, let's face it, their Messages app is pretty good. SMS on BB feels strange, and MMS is terrible (and expensive).
    04-12-12 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD