Hey all,

I just unlocked one of the 9930's I won in a Verizon/Blackberry contest. The reason for this is that I'm sending one to my sister in Holland. I purchased a code from a BB unlock site, followed instructions and the phone said 'code accepted'.

Now I want to make 100% sure the phone will be ready to accept her Dutch SIM card. The OS is still 'the Verizon OS' obviously. Do I need to load another OS on the device? And is there anything else I need to do? I just want to make sure she can start using her brother's gift with no probs!
    04-01-12 11:31 PM
    Is there CDMA service in Holland? I have seen quite a few posts about 9930 not able to get service books to do email, BBM, and etc when on GSM networks. It may work until the first software load or any other actions that require the service books to be reloaded.
    04-02-12 06:44 AM
    The only thing that I would check is to make sure the frequencies are compatible.

I have an AT&T sim card in my phone right now (just did that this weekend), and I switch back and forth between Verizon and AT&T with no issues.

I am running 7.1.0.163 on my 9930 with no issues with AT&T.
    04-02-12 06:55 AM
    Duplicate Post
    Last edited by janerblue; 04-02-12 at 08:54 PM.
    04-02-12 07:16 AM
    Hmmm. Janerblue, you still have Verizon service though, right? So maybe you can get service books from that? And this potential problem Robsteve mentions, can someone confirm it, and is it peculiar to OS 7?
    04-02-12 07:26 AM
    To be honest, I think that it will work properly. As long as service books get accepted properly it will be all good. KPN B.V and Vodafone Libertel B.V Use 900 MHz bands so the 9930 will get proper 3G service there. If she wants to use it on T-mobile NL They only use 1800 MHz only so she wil only get 2G coverage. There's my .02. I think just do it really, and if it there's any hiccups then she'll have to get some support from you. Also the OS doesn't matter at all! I use an Cellcom Wireless on my 9900 on Vodafone Uk and no problems at all. Even if the service books don't push properly there's always google.
    Last edited by Jake90087; 04-02-12 at 09:06 AM.
    04-02-12 09:03 AM
    Hey all,

I just unlocked one of the 9930's I won in a Verizon/Blackberry contest. The reason for this is that I'm sending one to my sister in Holland. I purchased a code from a BB unlock site, followed instructions and the phone said 'code accepted'.

Now I want to make 100% sure the phone will be ready to accept her Dutch SIM card. The OS is still 'the Verizon OS' obviously. Do I need to load another OS on the device? And is there anything else I need to do? I just want to make sure she can start using her brother's gift with no probs!
    If you want to me sure it's unlocked before you send it off, just find someone with a SIM from another carrier and put it in the phone. If it works, you're good to go...
    04-02-12 09:13 AM
    Sooooo I need to clarify something and didn't think about it until I read the above posts about service books. My AT&T Sim card only has talk and text. I only confirmed those two items work and can't test out the data / service books. I wish I could!
    04-02-12 09:19 AM
    Does your sister have a BB plan in her area? Im not familiar with the Dutch carriers, however, Id think Host routing table, register now would get her some kind of services books. The people on this site have figured how to get CDMA devices to work on T-Mobile US and att, im sure with some work, the same can be done for your sister
    04-02-12 09:57 AM
    Sooooo I need to clarify something and didn't think about it until I read the above posts about service books. My AT&T Sim card only has talk and text. I only confirmed those two items work and can't test out the data / service books. I wish I could!
    If an AT&T SIM works in a Verizon device, then you have confirmed that it is indeed unlocked. There is not need to test data in that regards (ie: there is no way for phone services to be unlocked, but data locked...).

The only thing to keep in mind is that the person using the unlocked phone needs to have a BlackBerry data plan (BIS or BES).
    04-02-12 10:29 AM
    Hmmm. Janerblue, you still have Verizon service though, right? So maybe you can get service books from that? And this potential problem Robsteve mentions, can someone confirm it, and is it peculiar to OS 7?
    Here are a couple threads. The Europeans seem to be having the most problems.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tables-661862/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-help-693981/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-bbsak-690921/
    04-02-12 12:31 PM
    I discovered something today: I had data turned on when I switched over to GSM/UMTS, and I received the BB registration message. When I went back to 1XEV (Verizon), my service books were hosed. I had to reload them, so all is well again.

Note to self: When switching to AT&T, ensure data is turned off!
    04-02-12 08:48 PM
    I discovered something today: I had data turned on when I switched over to GSM/UMTS, and I received the BB registration message. When I went back to 1XEV (Verizon), my service books were hosed. I had to reload them, so all is well again.

Note to self: When switching to AT&T, ensure data is turned off!
    Just curious, why do you have the AT&T SIM? I'm on Sprint 1XEV, but I have a prepaid T-Mobile SIM with voice only for occasional use. One of my international contacts has a phone with a carrier that doesn't accept my Sprint texts, but the T-Mobile ones I send go through.
    04-02-12 09:55 PM
    . I purchased a code from a BB unlock site, followed instructions and the phone said 'code accepted'.
    Follow the instructions to get back to the screen where you entered your code. If you see NetworkDisabled, your phone is unlocked. I should say I've always had GSM phones, but I doubt this indicator would be different/absent in unlockable CDMA phones.

Now I want to make 100% sure the phone will be ready to accept her Dutch SIM card. The OS is still 'the Verizon OS' obviously. Do I need to load another OS on the device?
    Verizon 9930 has the 900/2100 MHz bands. The three major Dutch carriers (KPN, T-Mobile, Vodafone) use the 2100 MHz band for 3G. Theoretically your sister should not have problems with this phone. You don't need to change any OSes unless you want to.
    04-02-12 11:29 PM
    As long as the phone is unlocked it will work on any gsm carrier ON 2G (EDGE) but only OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES.

In the United States, the device will only provision to the Blackberry servers of Verizon. Therefore, you will not be able to use this phone for much more than receiving/making phone calls and SMS in the United States. Overseas it will do pretty much everything but only on 2G (EDGE)
    04-03-12 09:19 AM
    As long as the phone is unlocked it will work on any gsm carrier ON 2G (EDGE) but only OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES.

In the United States, the device will only provision to the Blackberry servers of Verizon. Therefore, you will not be able to use this phone for much more than receiving/making phone calls and SMS in the United States. Overseas it will do pretty much everything but only on 2G (EDGE)

The 9930 will work fine on 3G outside the US.
    raino likes this.
    04-03-12 09:29 AM

Is this something that's changed on OS7? I have an unlocked Sprint 9650, and it was always my understanding that the BlackBerry would work anywhere (even in the US) on gsm, albeit on EDGE when stateside.
    04-03-12 09:49 AM
    Is this something that's changed on OS7? I have an unlocked Sprint 9650, and it was always my understanding that the BlackBerry would work anywhere (even in the US) on gsm, albeit on EDGE when stateside.
    Nothing has changed. The 9930 and other "world" CDMA BBs, for obvious (read: pro-Verizon ) reasons don't have the North American 3G bands. However, they are mostly quad-band GSM phones, which is why you get EDGE here in the US.
    04-03-12 11:38 AM
    Well, I don't know about you guys but I bought a VZW 9930 for a friend of mine in Pakistan. He tried it both on the Telenor and Mobilink networks (there is no 3G here yet) and the device was unable to register on either of those networks. The device is unlocked and works fine for voice calls/texts. Calling the respective customer service centers of the carriers didn't help. Both claimed xx30 devices do not work over here and are not (officially) supported. I hope someone can figure out at least WiFi calling for TMo on the 99?0 so I can use it that way since UMA isn't supported either.

Granted, I have not tried any of the advanced methods yet but this is the out of box experience.

Your mileage may vary and caveat emptor.
    Last edited by monakh; 04-03-12 at 12:13 PM.
    04-03-12 12:06 PM
    I gotta believe it would be easier to get a CDMA BlackBerry to work on gsm when CDMA service and BIS are anyway active.
    04-03-12 12:56 PM
    I still don't understand why some people insist on buying a CDMA device for use on a GSM network... and then wonder why it doesn't work.
    OniBerry likes this.
    04-03-12 01:01 PM
    I still don't understand why some people insist on buying a CDMA device for use on a GSM network... and then wonder why it doesn't work.
    They're (slightly) cheaper, but I'm with you--I'd rather spend $50 more and get the GSM version that's guaranteed to work on my carrier (provided I've done my research and confirmed I'm getting the correct bands).

As for the OP, he won it in a contest and is doing a nice thing for his sister.
    Last edited by raino; 04-03-12 at 02:46 PM.
    04-03-12 01:04 PM
    Yea, I'm happy with Sprint CDMA. It works absolutely everywhere I normally go. But I wanted the gsm capability for world travel and simply as an option, an extra. I would fully expect my "world" Bold to work on a gsm network, and if it didn't I'd call Sprint to complain. But that's just it, if there's any problem, I can call CDMA Sprint to complain.
    Last edited by T�nis; 04-03-12 at 02:02 PM.
    04-03-12 02:00 PM
    Dude it's a World phone. Why is it labeled as such if it won't work without pulling out your hair?
    04-04-12 01:10 PM
    Dude it's a World phone. Why is it labeled as such if it won't work without pulling out your hair?
    I think the point is it will work anywhere in the world with a Verizon SIM in it while Roaming, not on any carrier in the world with any SIM.
    04-04-12 01:27 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD