I have my unlocked 9900 from Thailand and I use it on AT&T, always showed 3G. Is there something wrong with my phone???

If I put the AT&T 9900 Software on it, will I get VVM and 4G?
    11-09-11 11:34 AM
    it all depends what frequency bands on that the carrier it was originally locked to.
    11-09-11 11:58 AM
    it all depends what frequency bands on that the carrier it was originally locked to.
    3G bands 1,2,5,6

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 12:09 PM
    I have the same question! I'm using a 9900 from a Thai service provider (AIS Thailand) with 3G Bands 1,2,5,6 and I'd like to be on AT&T's 4G (if possible). It's showing 3G only right now, and in Mobile Network settings, my only options in the drop down box is 2G, 3G, and 2G and 3G.

So based on the 3G bands of my phone, will uploading the AT&T software get me 4G? Will updating the software get me AT&T's stock OS? I'm running the Wind Canada .474 right now.

Thanks!

I'm currently in Ann Arbor MI if that makes any difference whether or not there is 4G in my area? I was in Houston 2 weeks back and on the AT&T map, there's supposedly 4G LTE there but all I got was 3G.
    Last edited by aackberry; 11-22-11 at 05:56 PM.
    11-22-11 05:54 PM
    Ah, more consumer confusion created by carriers and their "4G" moniker!

First and foremost guys, the is NOTHING wrong with your phones. They say 3G instead of 4G because the original carrier it was built for (in this case a Thai carrier) either doesn't have an HSPA+ network, or if they do, they're choosing to not market it as 4G so their build of the OS simply doesn't have a 4G icon to display.

As long as you have a Bold 9900 with the appropriate 3G bands for the appropriate carrier the device WILL jump on to an HSPA+ (4G) network if it is available in your area. Whether is says 3G, 4G, or H+ doesn't matter, it's the same network!

Loading an OS from another carrier may or may not give you either the 4G or H+ icon you so desire to see, but it will be hit or miss. You'll just have to try it out for yourself.
    Last edited by cold war kid; 11-22-11 at 06:28 PM.
    11-22-11 06:24 PM
    I'm currently in Ann Arbor MI if that makes any difference whether or not there is 4G in my area? I was in Houston 2 weeks back and on the AT&T map, there's supposedly 4G LTE there but all I got was 3G.
    That's because the Blackberry Bold 9900 is a "4G" HSPA+ phone, NOT a 4G LTE phone.
    11-22-11 06:26 PM
    I see. Got it. I guess 4G is all for cosmetic reasons for me! LOL. Hey, as long as it works and works well. Thanks for the detailed input.
    11-22-11 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD