i know on some older backberries you used to be able to do this, but anyone know how to unlock the blackberry using the keypad only, im ok with putting on a password if thats neccesary
    10-23-11 04:16 AM
    Set a password and then press the K key.
    10-23-11 06:11 AM
    Screen locks by pressing "A" button
    10-23-11 08:31 AM
    But then you can't unlock it using the keypad. You have to use the lock button.
    10-23-11 08:45 AM
    If home screen is set for keyboard shortcuts instead of universal search, the "k" key will password lock the phone. Pressing and holding the "a" key will keyboard lock it thereby preventing pocketdialing.
    10-23-11 09:58 AM
    so there is no way of unlocking using the keypad?
    10-23-11 06:51 PM
    Only if you set a password.
    10-23-11 07:21 PM
    yea so if i set a password how do i UNLOCK using the keypad, i tried pressing k when it was locked it didnt do anything
    10-23-11 07:40 PM
    You enter the PASSWORD to unlock it. ?? What am I missing?
    10-23-11 08:26 PM
    If you're asking whether there's a keypress combination to take the phone out of standby, the answer is no. Not sure about the 9900, but on most BlackBerries, just press the button on the top of the phone. I think if there's no password lock set, you can hit *send or send* or something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 08:35 PM
    yea thats exactly what im asking, a replacement for the unlock button, because my unlock button is kind of hard to press, i want to be able to unlock the phone using the keypad, i am willing to put on a password if there is someway of doing that
    10-23-11 09:11 PM
    Yes. Options > Security > Password - enable! Set the timeout and just enter the password to unlock.
    10-23-11 09:16 PM
    yea thats exactly what im asking, a replacement for the unlock button, because my unlock button is kind of hard to press, i want to be able to unlock the phone using the keypad, i am willing to put on a password if there is someway of doing that
    Nope - no such option, by design because if there was, you'd be pocket dialing all the time.

The only other option is to set a security lock (password) - in which case you WOULD
    unlock via the keyboard and not the lock button. I use both.
    10-23-11 10:56 PM
    I think if there is NO password set, and you press "k" (and dial from home screen is disabled), the phone will keyboard lock. Then if you press one of the number keys or the send, end, blackerry, or back key, it will tell you on the screen what to press to unlock. It will say "press send* to unlock." It's something like that, but it only works that way if you're not using the password lock feature.

Last edited by T�nis; 10-24-11 at 06:01 AM.
    10-24-11 05:56 AM
    I think if there is NO password set, and you press "k" (and dial from home screen is disabled), the phone will keyboard lock. Then if you press one of the number keys or the send, end, blackerry, or back key, it will tell you on the screen what to press to unlock. It will say "press send* to unlock." It's something like that, but it only works that way if you're not using the password lock feature.
    No. It doesn't work like that. And "Send *" doesn't work anymore. If you do not have a password set, pressing the K key does not lock the keypad. The A key does that. However, only the LOCK BUTTON will unlock the keypad in this situation. There is no keypad combination to unlock the keypad.

If the user wants to lock and unlock the device using only the keypad, then a password must be set and then the user can envoke the password with the K key and unlock the device by entering the password.
    10-24-11 06:11 AM
    Yes, pressing and holding "a" keyboard locks my OS6 Bold. I haven't taken the password off that to test "k" and *SEND, but I believe you. I did just take it off my OS4.5 8330, and "k" keyboard locks it, and *SEND unlocks it. Must be just for the older devices ...

10-24-11 06:38 AM
    To unlock:

Hold the power button down when the bb is in lock state and when the power prompt screen appears quickly hit the back key.
    sirius-c likes this.
    11-11-11 06:15 PM
    To unlock:

Hold the power button down when the bb is in lock state and when the power prompt screen appears quickly hit the back key.
    This is great, thank you...a way to screen lock/unlock without using the top button

so to summarize....

long press the "a" key to lock the screen,

long press "Hang up/Power" key until power down prompt appears,
    then press "del" key to Unlock the screen. (or any key for that matter!)
    Last edited by sirius-c; 07-23-12 at 12:10 PM.
    jthspace likes this.
    07-23-12 12:04 PM
    Dial from home screen off... Now you can pres "A" then green calling button..
    04-05-13 07:13 AM
    Or, if you have password security set, pressing the "k" key locks the phone, and dims the screen.

To unlock, just start typing your password.
    04-06-13 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD