I just switched to OS .342. I am missing the Google Local Search option when I use Universal Search. Is this a problem with the OS or is something wrong? I don't see it on search options as ana available selection either.
    05-12-12 12:12 AM
    See this thread... more towards the end: How to change universal search back to Google?

Is this what you are talking about?
    05-12-12 01:12 AM
    See this thread... more towards the end: How to change universal search back to Google?

Is this what you are talking about?
    No. There used to be an option to type in search, something like "target store" and get a map with nearby ones. It was an option in Universal Search. I believe it used Blackberry Maps for the search. It's now gone. Furthermore, clicking on the Blackberry Maps option in Universal Search always gives an error for me. That one seems to attempt a search for an address in Blackberry Maps. It gives an error no matter what I enter though.

So, two separate issues I guess. I used to get a lot of benefit from being able to run map searches directly from Universal Search.
    05-19-12 01:48 AM
    No. There used to be an option to type in search, something like "target store" and get a map with nearby ones. It was an option in Universal Search. I believe it used Blackberry Maps for the search. It's now gone. Furthermore, clicking on the Blackberry Maps option in Universal Search always gives an error for me. That one seems to attempt a search for an address in Blackberry Maps. It gives an error no matter what I enter though.

So, two separate issues I guess. I used to get a lot of benefit from being able to run map searches directly from Universal Search.

I have the option to open a search with BB maps. But it doesn't work like yours too.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    05-19-12 09:54 AM
    Sounds like something is wrong with your BlackBerry Maps then. Try deleting it and then reloading it with the OS loader.
    05-19-12 10:53 AM
    I'm fine with it not working thru Universal Search. Never have really used it other than trying stuff when threads are posted.

05-19-12 11:11 AM
    Sounds like something is wrong with your BlackBerry Maps then. Try deleting it and then reloading it with the OS loader.
    It works fine when I search through Blackberry maps directly. It only fails through the Universal Search integration. I think this may be an OS bug on .342. What version are you on? Do you have a Local Search option available through your Universal Search?
    05-19-12 12:22 PM
    It works fine when I search through Blackberry maps directly. It only fails through the Universal Search integration. I think this may be an OS bug on .342. What version are you on? Do you have a Local Search option available through your Universal Search?

Same set-up as you. No biggie for me though.

05-19-12 02:35 PM
    Has anyone figured out how to get this option back into the Universal Search option? You can do a google local search, but you have to go into the maps application first and then type your search in there. I used to prefer just using the universal search option. I don't understand how this option just disappeared from the search options menu.
    07-20-12 09:05 AM
    Has anyone figured out how to get this option back into the Universal Search option? You can do a google local search, but you have to go into the maps application first and then type your search in there. I used to prefer just using the universal search option. I don't understand how this option just disappeared from the search options menu.
    I haven't figured it out. I still have the same issues. Since Poynt is going away, leaving no option for a local search, it looks like "universal" search's universe is shrinking.
    07-20-12 12:16 PM
    FYI to all - this is still broken in OS .580, as is the bug that causes user-created home screen shortcuts to disappear from the search results.
    08-07-12 05:09 PM
    FYI to all - this is still broken in OS .580
    Nah, it was never broken... and it's still there in .580

08-07-12 05:47 PM
    It would've been nice if the web suggestion was Google as opposed to Bing. Oh well.
    08-07-12 09:15 PM
    Nah, it was never broken... and it's still there in .580

Click to view quoted image

Can you share any ideas as to why you have it and others don't?
    08-10-12 05:58 PM
    Can you share any ideas as to why you have it and others don't?
    I'd love to... but I have no idea why. Possibly service book related?

I did lose it once, maybe on .342, I don't recall. It's been there ever since though, and working fine.
    08-10-12 06:09 PM
    I'd love to... but I have no idea why. Possibly service book related?

I did lose it once, maybe on .342, I don't recall. It's been there ever since though, and working fine.
    Well, how did you get it back? :-)

I scanned through the service books and saw "search service 611". Not knowing what it was, I didn't mess with it. Don't service books get re-sent on OS install?
    08-10-12 06:20 PM
    Well, how did you get it back? :-)

I scanned through the service books and saw "search service 611". Not knowing what it was, I didn't mess with it. Don't service books get re-sent on OS install?
    It just reappeared when I updated from .342

Service books get resent every 24 hours or so, and after every reboot. Could be the 611 one, does yours look like this?

08-10-12 06:30 PM
    Yes, mine looks like that except the Gateway IP is different. Similar, but different. I suspect that may vary by carrier.
    08-10-12 06:46 PM
    Phill,

Does your Google Local search open Blackberry maps or some other app? Does it work correctly? I have a possibly related problem. I can do a universal search via Blackberry Maps, but a bug (?) causes it to search by address rather than business name.
    08-10-12 06:49 PM
    Phill,

Does your Google Local search open Blackberry maps or some other app? Does it work correctly? I have a possibly related problem. I can do a universal search via Blackberry Maps, but a bug (?) causes it to search by address rather than business name.
    I don't have BB Maps installed.

Too complex to explain how it works, so I'll do it with pics...

If I click on the map thumbnail it tries to open BB Maps, but obviously can't as it's not there.
    08-10-12 07:02 PM
    Thanks. Bizarre that it doesn't work for some.
    08-10-12 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD