Hey guys,

Can anyone thats using the new BB Bold 9900 on Vodafone UK tell me if you are getting the H+ signal or is it still just 3G showing?

Cheers
    08-19-11 06:48 AM
    Hey guys,

Can anyone thats using the new BB Bold 9900 on Vodafone UK tell me if you are getting the H+ signal or is it still just 3G showing?

Cheers
    to get the H+ sign you would need to be on a HSDPA+ connection (14.4Mbps), so far as i know vodafone have very few of these towers, the main city 3G towers normally give 7.2Mbps and smaller city 3G towers give 3.6Mbps. of course im sure more will roll out over time, but id say your hardly ever gonna see H+ if at all.
    08-19-11 06:58 AM
    You won't get H+ here in the UK at the moment.
    08-19-11 07:00 AM
    You won't get H+ here in the UK at the moment.
    maybe not on Vodafail - but you should on 3
    08-19-11 07:13 AM
    I haven't seen H or H+ once but I have noticed downloads moving a lot faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 07:30 AM
    I only ever get 3G even with my sure start box

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-19-11 07:40 AM
    I haven't seen H or H+ once but I have noticed downloads moving a lot faster.

This is true, I live around Birmingham and have moved to Vodafone from O2 and downloads are noticeably faster than before.

Though I have changed phones too(nexus s to 9900), but the difference is remarkable.
    08-19-11 07:45 AM
    I have a feeling the H+ will start showing on the next OS update.

08-19-11 07:53 AM
    To truly get H+ or 4G, UK operators need more spectrum. Ofcom is set to auction additional spectrum early 2012, I think. After they get that we can see a roll out in a year or so. Until then we should do with 3G speeds. I will do well to get good consistent 3G connection. At the moment, I get good 3G until my doorstep, but once inside home it goes to GPRS/EDGE, with 3G hit and miss.

Read somewhere that O2 is very well advanced into testing. But other are muted at the moment, with little additional info.

The technology may also change by the time they are ready to roll out. Bit unknow at the moment. All this info is couple of months old, so not sure if there has been new developments.

08-19-11 07:55 AM
    maybe not on Vodafail - but you should on 3
    And how extensive is Three's coverage of H+ in the UK?
    08-19-11 08:27 AM
    Thanks guys, some interesting information

I guess in a 3rd world country like the UK we'll have to wait abit longer
    08-19-11 08:33 AM
    good point..
    08-19-11 08:37 AM
    3G for me and it's bloody rapid
    08-19-11 08:45 AM
    to get the H+ sign you would need to be on a HSDPA+ connection (14.4Mbps), so far as i know vodafone have very few of these towers, the main city 3G towers normally give 7.2Mbps and smaller city 3G towers give 3.6Mbps. of course im sure more will roll out over time, but id say your hardly ever gonna see H+ if at all.
    That's the only factual post here, but officially H+ is 21mbit, however there is compatibility to show 14/5 as HSPA+ if the network has been designed that way, Vodafone's hasn't.

Some major airports in London are trialling HSPA+ and some key locations in London, however with cell congestion in dense areas, the phones will more than likely fall back to regular HSPA which won't show the logo.

Have a look at your phone if you're passing through Heathrow and you might get a surprise

Beyond that most UK networks are being very slow to update to HSPA+ and most are also being overly slow to trial LTE effectively, then again the spectrum hasn't even been licensed yet.

I would suspect that RIM might include a "patch" in one of their future software updates to show the H+ logo even when connected to an HSPA cell, which would have us all seeing it a lot more frequently. However as stated above in congested areas, which is basically everywhere with more than 2 people using a cell tower, your chances of staying on HSPA+ are fluid
    08-19-11 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD