Hi, I don't post often here, so apologies in advance if this is kind of a noobie question.

I have a 9930 with Verizon Wireless. I was having trouble connecting to my home wifi, went to Verizon tech support for troubleshooting, and they ended up sending me a new 9930. I ported everything over to the new device, data, apps, everything. Then the new 9930 (let's call it device B) had the same problem connecting. Called Verizon again, got a different tech support person who determined the problem was actually in my router! So I now had 2 good 9930's.

So here's my question. Device B proved to be a memory hog. (I have an app that measures memory usage %.) Frequently freezing. A couple of times it froze in the middle of the night while in bedside mode. That could have been disastrous since my BB is my alarm clock, but fortunately I woke up in the middle of the night, noticed it, and reset it.

So after almost a week I ended up porting everything back to my original 9930 (let's call it device A). That has the same usage pattern as it did before, less memory use, less freezing (occasional, but not like B).

So my question is how can two 9930's, A and B, with the same OS, same data, same apps, have such wildly different performance? At this point I'm keeping A and will send B back to Verizon, so it's just kind of a question of curiosity, nothing's riding on it.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by clarokc; 11-30-12 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
    11-30-12 12:26 PM
    Other than a crap app install, not a damn thing. Happens a lot with themes in particular. Removing and reinstalling the apps might have fixed B.
    11-30-12 05:02 PM
    Every 9930 is different. Period. OS installs, apps that work or don't work with one another, themes that may or may not cause memory leaks...the list goes on. Some problems are hardware, more than likely the probs are software related...i.e. apps/themes but I believe that you can get one phone that is better than another. I know many will disagree but that's my opinion. Based on having two diff 9930's myself and 5 different 9650's before that.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-30-12 05:13 PM
    How did you set up device B? If you used desktop manager and just restored I bet some 3rd party app got messed up. I always just transter contacts and do everything else manually.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-01-12 12:49 AM
    The answer is although you think the phones are the same there is something different.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-01-12 01:04 AM
    it's very possible there was a hardware issue. I've had several 9650s with defective antenna (presumed due to poor signal quality), and with the number of micro-components involved there's bound to be performance deviation.

How did you set up device B? If you used desktop manager and just restored I bet some 3rd party app got messed up. I always just transter contacts and do everything else manually.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I always restore my 3rd party apps through the PC without issue, while helping many a member who with one app install/upgrade, who had major problems. There's a chance of failure no matter how you do it.
    12-01-12 06:44 AM
    I used the Device Switch function in desktop manger to switch to B. I'm not about to reinstall all my apps manually.
    Then I wiped A fully expecting to be returning it to Verizon.
    So I used Device Switch again to move everything back to A -- as if it were a completely new device.

Result: A worked the way as it always did, with occasional freezing. B froze more often and had more memory usage.
    12-01-12 12:20 PM