I'm a brand new Sprint Bold 9930 user with version 7.1.0 (build 457) installed. When I originally purchased my battery life was bad.

I found by turning off the GPS has really improved my battery life.

I am a former Curve user that then went to an HTC EVO 2 years ago and now back to a Bold! I would never go back to an Android phone!!!!!
    06-27-12 09:57 PM
    I turned mine off and it did improve my battery life too. Agree on the droid, you couldn't pay me to go back.

Welcome back!
    06-27-12 10:17 PM
    mmmmm wonder why it is on as default RIM is tracking us
    06-28-12 04:40 AM
    Great idea. Thank you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780
    06-28-12 04:51 AM
    I keep GPS on, with no sacrifice in battery life. If turning it off made such a difference, you probably had some apps using it all the time or "location data" turned on. You can keep "location services" on but "location data" off. And turn off geotagging in apps like FaceBook, unless you really need it.
    wolfee48 and shemaree09 like this.
    06-28-12 05:01 AM
    I keep GPS on, with no sacrifice in battery life. If turning it off made such a difference, you probably had some apps using it all the time or "location data" turned on. You can keep "location services" on but "location data" off. And turn off geotagging in apps like FaceBook, unless you really need it.
    Thanks Ubizmo. I just tried it and let's see if that will help any. (Any help on battery life will be helpful!)
    06-28-12 09:06 AM
    I definitely agree with ubizmo. I always leave GPS and location data on with no battery life sacrifice. It is all about self-application management.
    06-28-12 09:18 AM
    I definitely agree with ubizmo. I always leave GPS and location data on with no battery life sacrifice. It is all about self-application management.
    Careful. "Location data" allows the device to send RIM location info for research purposes; it has nothing to do with location services (except it presupposes that Location Services are enabled). I keep Location Data turned off, but Location Services turned on, so that when an app, such as BB Traffic or Poynt, needs a location it can activate GPS and get it without my having to do anything.

There's also "Location aiding", which keeps track of cell towers, to "reduce the time to acquire a GPS fix". I keep this enabled, although I imagine it uses a bit of battery. I haven't found it to be a problem.

But apart from that, I agree that it's all about the apps. The camera app has a geotagging option, which I believe is enabled by default. That means that every time you turn on the camera it starts looking for a GPS satellite. If you don't need this, turn it off. Some security experts recommend turning it off anyway.
    wolfee48 and tommyv like this.
    06-28-12 10:02 AM
    Careful. "Location data" allows the device to send RIM location info for research purposes; it has nothing to do with location services (except it presupposes that Location Services are enabled). I keep Location Data turned off, but Location Services turned on, so that when an app, such as BB Traffic or Poynt, needs a location it can activate GPS and get it without my having to do anything.

There's also "Location aiding", which keeps track of cell towers, to "reduce the time to acquire a GPS fix". I keep this enabled, although I imagine it uses a bit of battery. I haven't found it to be a problem.

But apart from that, I agree that it's all about the apps. The camera app has a geotagging option, which I believe is enabled by default. That means that every time you turn on the camera it starts looking for a GPS satellite. If you don't need this, turn it off. Some security experts recommend turning it off anyway.
    I'll have to try location data off.
    Last edited by dustanh; 06-28-12 at 10:19 AM.
    06-28-12 10:16 AM
    this sounds dead stupid but how do you turn the gps off?! lmao :$
    06-28-12 04:09 PM
    Ria, go to BB Options and type gps in the search box.
    It will bring you there.
    06-28-12 05:16 PM
    Ria, go to BB Options and type gps in the search box.
    It will bring you there.
    thankyou it should be on the connection bit for us simple minded peeps
    06-29-12 03:55 AM
    Is toggling GPS on and off simply switching from Location Services: Location On to Off?
    07-11-12 03:24 PM
    yes. 10 char
    07-11-12 07:03 PM
    Just got my new 9930 and found this thread. My location services doesn't have an "off" but "e911 only". That's what I selected. My homescreen still has a target/crosshair icon...is my GPS off?
    07-01-13 10:20 AM
    Just got my new 9930 and found this thread. My location services doesn't have an "off" but "e911 only". That's what I selected. My homescreen still has a target/crosshair icon...is my GPS off?
    Go to Options > Location Settings.

Should be an option to turn location services i.e. GPS on or off.
    07-01-13 10:26 AM
    Go to Options > Location Settings.

Should be an option to turn location services i.e. GPS on or off.
    I'm there. The only options are "location on" or "e911 only".

I have changed it from "location on" to "e911 only" for now.
    07-01-13 10:30 AM

Maybe it's a North American thing, e911 sounds like some sort of emergency service function.

I'm in the UK and simply have the on or off option.
    07-01-13 10:41 AM

Yup, you're good to go. E911 is a USA thing. Basically, it makes it so that if you call 911 they'll have your exact coordinates.
    07-02-13 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD