Now here's something frustrating. I received a 13MB attachment from work and the message wouldn't even show. When I checked on my PC, the message had one sentence along with the attachment. If I could have been able to read that one sentence in the email, I wouldn't have had to scramble to find a PC to read it and realize it wasn't urgent.. I wish BIS would at least let you read the text that is associated with a truncated email.

I also thought that BIS has been upgraded to handle up to 17MB? This day and age with pdfs, powerpoint slides and what have you, I find that my blackberry failed today as a business tool. I wish there was a better alternative to receive such emails.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-26-12 01:40 PM
    BIS4.1 can only handle messages up to 11MB in size
    03-26-12 01:45 PM
    I hope the QNX phones won't have this restriction.

03-26-12 01:47 PM
    Anyone know what other platforms allow?
    03-26-12 02:32 PM
    Yes I would like to know this too.

03-26-12 04:46 PM
    I'm wondering if anybody knows if BB10 will have size limits on email attachments.

04-08-12 03:54 PM
    H@++, I was expecting a more "interesting" thread when I read the title!
    04-08-12 03:59 PM
    Gmail allows up to 25 MB. I am not sure if all Androids allow attachments that large, since I have never used Android.

No attachment size limits for the iPhone. The only limitations are those imposed by the email provider.
    04-08-12 04:07 PM
    I know that I don't have that problem when I use my IPhone 4. But with the 9900 I get that often.

What is the main reason why we are restricted. It doesn't make sense that I can receive the same e-mail on IP4 but not on my 9900.
    04-08-12 08:36 PM
    Yes this has always been a frustrating issue with BIS, hopefully eliminated forever with blackberry 10.
    04-08-12 09:21 PM
    Can't you just go into your phone's browser to get to your email account and check the message part at least? It'll save you from rushing to a computer if you can do a cursory check from the browser.
    04-08-12 09:46 PM
    RIM gets a kickback from your phone company for compressing data and limiting emails. Don't expect this to change in BB10. They would go out of business without that revenue.
    04-08-12 10:57 PM
    Can't you just go into your phone's browser to get to your email account and check the message part at least? It'll save you from rushing to a computer if you can do a cursory check from the browser.

That's true I suppose although accessing my work email online is a real pain. Just ironic to have to manually check my email online on a device that claims to have the best email experience.

04-08-12 11:12 PM
    I thought that truncated emails were not an issue with OS7. And I have never heard of RIM getting a kickback from the providers for limiting emails. Sounds strange when you consider that other manufacturers do not have that limitation. Interesting...
    04-08-12 11:39 PM
    I thought that truncated emails were not an issue with OS7. And I have never heard of RIM getting a kickback from the providers for limiting emails. Sounds strange when you consider that other manufacturers do not have that limitation. Interesting...
    It is not about kickbacks. So far, truncated emails have always existed in BIS.

Viewing attachments in their original format
    The BlackBerry� Internet Service supports downloading attachments in their original format. Subscribers can preview or download attachments. When subscribers download an attachment, the BlackBerry Internet Service sends the attachment to the BlackBerry smartphone. Subscribers might be able to view or edit the attachment by using supported third-party applications. The types of attachments that subscribers can edit and the types of changes that they can make depends on the third-party application that they use.
    Attachments in an original file format cannot exceed 3 MB for smartphones running BlackBerry� 6 or earlier, and 8 MB for smartphones running BlackBerry� 7 or later.
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-4.1-US.pdf
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    04-08-12 11:55 PM
    8MB?!? That's pretty small.

04-09-12 12:26 AM

It's a considerable improvement over earlier versions of BIS and what is available on OS6 and earlier devices on the current BIS.

Hopefully BB10 devices on a newer version of BIS will not have those limitations.
    04-09-12 12:29 AM

yup, ridiculous in my opinion. the average ppt nowadays is easily 15-20 mb
    04-09-12 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD