Here's what I got.
    A BB Sprint 9930 of CList. It is not activated. My wife is traveling to Europe and I want to give her the phone.
    Do I..
    A. Go to sprint and activated before the trip?
    B. Let her go to Europe without activating?
    C. Unlock the phone?
    05-07-12 01:28 PM
    What does she want to do with the phone in Europe?

Call, text, email, BBM, internet??

What countries?
    05-07-12 05:27 PM
    A 9930 is the CDMA version right?
    I am not aware of any countries in the EU that uses CDMA network - we use GSM 900/1800 frequencies!

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 05:31 PM
    BB Sprint 9930 is CDMA /GSM version
    buy the SIM unlock code and you can use it at any GSM network in Europe

you might want to check your phone before buying the unlock code, because mine is unlock from sprint
    05-07-12 05:40 PM
    if it is not activated the you will not have BIS service.. so no push email and no BBM.

You do not need an "unlock code" to use other SIM in the 9930..all sprint world phones are unlocked.

So, if you take it as is, then she can use wifi for data, checking email via the web, and use a local sim for text and voice calls..

If she is planning on keeping the phone in the USa simply easier to set her up with sprint before she goes, then at least there will be push email, and bbm etc..

Suggest you checkout the app "mobilevoip" from appworld.. gives voip calling over wifi and will save a bundle while travelling
    05-07-12 06:45 PM
    Sprint's 9930's are already unlocked in the GSM side of things, but you do have to activate states side if you want it to work period.
    05-07-12 07:12 PM
    Thanks for the inside. Looks like the GSM side is open, but I'll have to activate it with Sprint prior to her trip.
    She does want to use everything (txt, email, bbm) when she's there.
    She's traveling to eastern europe
    05-07-12 08:08 PM
    You probably will want to ask Sprint what international services they offer (if any) and the cost and then compare that to the cost of plans that include BlackBerry Data (BIS) in the countries to which she will be traveling. Not all service providers offer BlackBerry Data.
    05-07-12 08:54 PM
    if it is not activated the you will not have BIS service.. so no push email and no BBM.

You do not need an "unlock code" to use other SIM in the 9930..all sprint world phones are unlocked.

So, if you take it as is, then she can use wifi for data, checking email via the web, and use a local sim for text and voice calls..

If she is planning on keeping the phone in the USa simply easier to set her up with sprint before she goes, then at least there will be push email, and bbm etc..

Suggest you checkout the app "mobilevoip" from appworld.. gives voip calling over wifi and will save a bundle while travelling
    Thanks for this information, but I am looking for a solution to activate my cellphone in Europe. I have an unactivated 9930 Bold Sprint brought from ebay (it has clean ESN), and it works well here with local GSM carriers, except it has "activation required" on screen and not functioning BBM or (BIS). Should you have any suggestion, how to activate it in Europe for fully using, I will appreciate.
    08-27-12 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD