Not a deal breaker because the phone is perfect otherwise but I notice that the trackpad light is lighter in color than the backlight on the call, end, keys etc. It is almost yellow or orange by comparison to bright white light of those keys.

Is there a separate backlight for the trackpad or is it the part of the phone some how? I'm wondering if I replaced the trackpad if that would fix it or is something not quite right on the phone itself.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bobj66; 10-09-11 at 04:31 PM.
    10-09-11 04:22 PM
    Mine is much brighter than the buttons beside it... and a pale purple colour

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 04:26 PM

You know in a certain light, you're right, it does look kind of purplish! It isn't bright though - it is dimmer than the other lights by comparison. Do you know if it has a separate light built into the pad or is the light shining from somewhere on behind it i.e. on a circuit board or something like that?
    10-09-11 04:35 PM
    No idea, sorry. I'd imagine the light source was beneath the trackpad though, rather than within it.

Last edited by Phill_UK; 10-09-11 at 10:06 PM.
    bobj66 likes this.
    10-09-11 04:50 PM
    Thanks for the help. Is this within spec or is it supposed to be white? I saw a couple of the videos here and it looked to be white but hard to tell. Obviously it doesn't effect performance but cosmetically I can't believe it would be normal in any color other than white...but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is supposed to be off-white.
    10-09-11 04:55 PM
    Maybe not a good unit. Mine is white
    10-09-11 05:20 PM
    Slightly lavender here. I like it just fine! Flawless performance since purchased 3 weeks ago.

10-09-11 05:58 PM
    Mine is working great too. Seems like maybe the color isn't supposed to be perfectly white i.e. if some of the units are purple/lavendar. Here's 3 out of 4 so far.
    10-09-11 06:13 PM
    Should one consider replacing the device if the trackpad color isn't white or if it is dim?
    10-09-11 07:44 PM
    I'm surprised so many are not white. I wonder if white is more of a rarity than the norm???

I suppose you're right the danger is that you'd get one that is a worse build quality. This one is otherwise perfect from what I can see in the short time I've had it.
    10-09-11 08:09 PM
    Mine is sort of dim and also purple/white. I can't tell if it is purple because the light is just dim or whether that is the actual color of the pad. Mine is also twisted counter clockwise slightly i.e. it is not square in the hole of the call-end button.
    10-09-11 10:00 PM
    no jokes but my trackpad glows the brightest compared to the rest of the buttons
    10-09-11 10:53 PM
    no jokes but my trackpad glows the brightest compared to the rest of the buttons
    Is it bright white or just brighter than the other buttons. Mines as bright or maybe brighter than the other buttons but still has a purple hue to it.
    10-09-11 10:59 PM
    Not a deal breaker because the phone is perfect otherwise but I notice that the trackpad light is lighter in color than the backlight on the call, end, keys etc. It is almost yellow or orange by comparison to bright white light of those keys.

Is there a separate backlight for the trackpad or is it the part of the phone some how? I'm wondering if I replaced the trackpad if that would fix it or is something not quite right on the phone itself.

Thanks in advance.
    Notice the trackpad when all lights are off. It's chrome. Then push a key and watch it light up. It's like a one way mirrored glass that lets light through. So that light goes through a "chrome" filter while they keys are just the pure lights. Hope that explains the varying color of the trackpads. but orange yellow is a little odd.
    mhw100 likes this.
    10-09-11 10:59 PM
    Notice the trackpad when all lights are off. It's chrome. Then push a key and watch it light up. It's like a one way mirrored glass that lets light through. So that light goes through a "chrome" filter while they keys are just the pure lights. Hope that explains the varying color of the trackpads. but orange yellow is a little odd.
    Wow. I never thought of that and the logic makes sense. No wonder it wouldn't be be bright white then if the light has to shine through that chrome or whatever the material actually is. That begs the question then; how could the trackpad ever be bright white?

However, when I look at the reviews it does seem to be really bright like here;

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9930-review
    10-09-11 11:34 PM
    Wow. I never thought of that and the logic makes sense. No wonder it wouldn't be be bright white then if the light has to shine through that chrome or whatever the material actually is. That begs the question then; how could the trackpad ever be bright white?

However, when I look at the reviews it does seem to be really bright like here;

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9930-review
    Remember, pictures can be deceiving haha. If you could compare two Bolds physically that'd be more accurate. Me and my grandpa's are both white with a hint of purple. kinda cool. i love the fact it is chrome by day and white light by night haha. but i dont think it could be bright white w/o some kind of hue to it.
    10-09-11 11:43 PM
    Remember, pictures can be deceiving haha. If you could compare two Bolds physically that'd be more accurate. Me and my grandpa's are both white with a hint of purple. kinda cool. i love the fact it is chrome by day and white light by night haha. but i dont think it could be bright white w/o some kind of hue to it.
    I've seen about 30 or so of the 9900's but always under bright lights so it's tricky to actually tell the colors of the pad. I could have sworn though that I saw some pads that were bright white but honestly, now I'm not so sure.

I just recently looked at 4 of them lined up in a row and stuck them in a cupboard to make them glow - I would say that none of them were bright white and all had the purple color.

So, I think you might be on to something...although that video is pretty convincing that they should be bright white in a dark environment but maybe the light from the movie camera illuminates the chrome making it appear brighter than it really is.
    10-10-11 12:00 AM
    Uhh.. Mines whiteish. Not bright white but white enough to say it's more white then anything else.
    10-10-11 03:35 PM
    Uhh.. Mines whiteish. Not bright white but white enough to say it's more white then anything else.
    Mine basically looks dim white in low lighting conditions but if you are in a really darkened room it looks lavendar.
    10-10-11 03:56 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out why any of this matters, lol.
    10-10-11 04:08 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out why any of this matters, lol.
    lol, probably because in my case I'm a BB groupie and every nuance of the device needs to analyzed.
    Last edited by mhw100; 10-10-11 at 04:23 PM.
    10-10-11 04:20 PM
    Mine is the same as the bb and back keys, which are all slightly brighter than the send and end keys.
    10-10-11 07:10 PM

Yes, that's what mine looks like too - its interesting that some people have an orange colored light around their trackpad though. I guess it might have something to do with where it's made possibly?
    10-10-11 07:13 PM
    Yeah, there seems to be some variation but I've yet to see a true white light one yet i.e. they seem to mostly whitish (connoting not really white) or lavendar. I think the logic or dsquared2 made sense i.e. the light has to shine through a chrome colored film.
    10-10-11 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD