I know there are some sunlight threads with 7.1, but I think I'm having a different problem. In direct sunlight, my phone goes nuts. Everything starts scrolling and random applications get clicked on like something is touching the touchscreen, but I am not touching it (and yes, I'm totally sure nothing is touching it). There's no dust, dirt, hairs...nothing is touching it.

So far I've been trying to stop it with liberal use of the red end button (don't know what it's really called), the lock button, and putting the phone into the holster. This isn't that great, though - the last time it happened, my phone called five different people before I could end the calls.

I didn't notice this problem until last week even though I've had my phone since the 14th because I live in Seattle. It was never in direct sunlight until last week.

So is this still a software problem? Bad phone? Any ideas?
    03-30-12 06:56 PM
    Troubleshoot:
    >Soft Reset(alt+shift+delete)

>Reinstall OS

>Downgrade/Upgrade to another OS

If none of those help, then it is a hardware issue.
    03-30-12 07:21 PM
    Not a software issue - hardware in this case. My old Garmin 2610 used to have the same issue in direct sunlight. it was hardware then as well.
    03-30-12 07:42 PM
    Troubleshoot:
    >Soft Reset(alt+shift+delete)

>Reinstall OS
    Already tried that, and tried a battery pull. It just started doing it again as soon as it booted up.

>Downgrade/Upgrade to another OS

If none of those help, then it is a hardware issue.
    I was afraid it was going to be that. I will have to try that and get back to you.
    03-30-12 07:54 PM
    Not a software issue - hardware in this case. My old Garmin 2610 used to have the same issue in direct sunlight. it was hardware then as well.
    I have BB 9900 and on 7.1 and it was me who posted the first ever thread about this issue, so its not a hardware problem, its just in 7.1 no matter what version that is on, and on 7.0 it works like just fine shine, and soft or hard reset doesn't help at all.
    03-31-12 03:59 AM
    Well, last night the trackpad stopped working at all - for scrolling. It would still click but it wouldn't scroll. I don't know if it was related to this or what. Anyway, I downgraded to 7.0 from the Blackberry website AND by using the Desktop because after I downgraded, I lost Hebrew input. Except none of them had Hebrew. So I ended up wiping and installing four times. :/

The upshot is that now my phone is working normally. It's a sunny day and I'm not having any issues.
    04-01-12 01:11 PM
    Sunny day in Seattle today? Send some down to Portland ☺. Glad you got your device working. I've nevere experienced this problem on my 9900.
    04-01-12 01:49 PM
    Update: it started happening again and more often. Reinstalled the OS a few more times. Finally, I showed the Sprint tech what was happening and they ended up just replacing the touchscreen and keyboard. It totally works fine now.
    07-24-12 09:54 AM
    Early screen builds had hardware issues. Likley that in most cases rather than software.
    07-24-12 11:19 AM
    same on my 9930. i posted too a few weeks back.
    07-25-12 10:20 PM
    So the trackpad and screen replacement really fixed your problems? A few weeks ago I installed .523 over my .318 firmware and the problem got worse. However thinking about sending in my Bold 9900 and wait six to eight weeks before getting it back makes me just want to accept this.
    07-26-12 02:15 AM
    I need help to decide if i should get the 9900 !!!! Please can any one tell me the pro's and con's of this phone !!!!
    07-26-12 06:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD