He is selling the phone with battery and a charger. That charger doesn't look like an original Bold 9900 charger though..
    03-26-17 11:33 AM
    Well since it's at a good price , then it 's worth going for it !
    03-26-17 11:37 AM
    Is it too late...?-img_1490548474.838691.jpg

The charger does say Blackberry on it, although it definitely is a European prong set up. So it wouldn't work here

Even the battery looks brand new and I see no indentations on the NFC metal contacts on the inside of the battery cover, so it's basically a new device....
    03-26-17 12:15 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1490548474.838691.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	323.6 KB 
ID:	420266

The charger does say Blackberry on it, although it definitely is a European prong set up. So it wouldn't work here

Even the battery looks brand new and I see no indentations on the NFC metal contacts on the inside of the battery cover, so it's basically a new device....
    But the charger isnt separate from the usb cable.. I dont know, it looks fishy to me.. Like the charger might be from a different model.
    03-26-17 12:21 PM
    The charger out put in the pic is 700 mAh. On my T-mobile 9900, the charger out put is 750 mAh.
    However, since the phone is in Europe which make it likely a version for that region, I can not be sure. Some carriers there might have packed the 9900 with that travel charger model.
    You can get the charger model number and hardware version from the picture for a research on Google.
    The phone look good in the pics. There are a couple more things you can do to check but only when you have it on your hand. I wonder if you have the option to return if phone is not as describe.

Under the chin piece (the smiley shape piece right below the keyboard) are two screws. The one on the left should have a screw head 'protector' as in the attached pic. If it is broken, the phone had been opened up. The chin piece is glue in place by double side tape so it can be lift up with a fingernail to check that screw. That's one of the thing which can be check quickly.

Is it too late...?-img_20151004_010817.jpg

Posted from my  Passport
    03-26-17 01:59 PM
    Any Android charger should work, same micro USB I believe, like the S6 Sammy, etc. Chargers wear out, people replace them.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-26-17 07:11 PM
    @Ralph Morgotch @idssteve @littlebuff @mushroom_daddy
    I asked him to send me additional photos of the phone, it seems ok to me.. Whats up with that charger though? Is it legit? https://imgur.com/a/bEHZh
    From the pictures the keyboard, handset and battery appear to be in v good condition. You can't see the water damage indicators so could ask for confirmation (or a photo) that these remain white.
    The charger looks like one that would be provided with a PlayBook although it doesn't have the usual yellow tail USB connector. In any event, the unit appears to be BlackBerry OEM and if operational will almost certainly charge the 9900; I use all sorts of charging units with my phones.

If you have the option of returning the handset and you're happy with the price, go for it! Get it in and run extensive tests before deciding whether to keep it.
    If there's no return option you might want to ask a few more questions – any genuine seller should be more than happy to answer questions and reassure potential buyers.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-27-17 02:49 AM
    Can someone please tell me the power output specs of the original Bold 9900 charger? From what I gather, it should be 5V, 750mA but I am not sure.. If I were to charge the phone with a charger that has a higher power output (say 5V, 1-1.5A), would I be risking battery or phone damage?

And what would be the limit power output allowed for the original JM-1 battery?
    03-28-17 06:36 AM
    I often use my BB PlayBook charger (higher rated output) with the 9900 without any problems,
    Check this KB article: BlackBerry smartphone compatibility with BlackBerry PlayBook charger

My UK socket OEM supplied with the 9900 provides a stated output of '5v = 750mA' it looks like this one from Amazon
    If you do a web search you'll find all sorts that work with a 9900, some are OEM, others are third party. You're very unlikely to burn your battery with an OEM BlackBerry charger or any bonafide, safety certified manufacturer
    03-28-17 07:05 AM
    I use the Passport charger, which is 1300 mA, for the BBOS battery quite often, as well as charge my Passport with a 800 mA Z10 charger. Different in mA means different in charging speed, where higher mA gives faster charge.
    The downside of charging at different mA is where the charger has much higher current, which would cause higher battery temperature. And high temperature reduce battery life. But one needs to do this frequently enough to see an obvious different.

03-28-17 09:41 AM
    I have a regular BlackBerry phone charger (5v, 700mA), but I can't remember if it came with the Bold 9900 or a different model. I've been using it for years with the Bold 9900 without issue. I have also used the Playbook charger (I don't have a Playbook, but someone was selling them for under $5 shipped on Amazon a couple of years ago, so I grabbed one) and I have used it with the Bold 9900 as well, though not often.
    03-28-17 09:41 PM
    My original charger is an RM0100 (small one, w/o cable) with 750mA, but the older models with 500/700mA will also work fine.
    I wouldn't use a charger with a current too high since it wears the battery faster. (Older?) BlackBerrys could even be damaged. There was a cap on the PlayBook charger that said you shouldn't use it with handhelds.
    04-08-17 04:20 PM

As a conveniently-sized, non-Android alternative, I've never read a single bad thing about the Classic.!
    It's slow, poor resolution and very heavy.
    04-09-17 01:53 PM
    Ok, I just had the chance to mess with Bold 9780 from a buddy of mine.. Is Bold 9900 anything like this? Because I have to say that I am disappointed with its performance.. The phone is too small, keyboard feels so cramped. Track Pad is also too small and it feels awkward to use.. I never thought it would be this small..
    04-10-17 04:59 AM
    Ok, I just had the chance to mess with Bold 9780 from a buddy of mine.. Is Bold 9900 anything like this? Because I have to say that I am disappointed with its performance.. The phone is too small, keyboard feels so cramped. Track Pad is also too small and it feels awkward to use.. I never thought it would be this small..
    Well, the 9900 is a little larger than the 9780, the keyboard is bigger, but not huge, and the screen is bigger and its resolution is higher. The processor is much faster too. But all things considered, your perception of its size is going to reflect where you're coming from (a phablet or a flip phone).

You could search for a comparison video on Youtube for a better idea of the differences. I think the CrackBerry review of the 9900 made a short comparison, IIRC.

Video:
    04-10-17 08:26 AM
    Well, the 9780 is obviously an one-handed device, though I used mine typing with both hand without a problem. The 9900 is bigger, giving more space on the keyboard, while the key response is much better. Plus the touch screen on the 9900 making it a much better device than the 9780.
    One thing, if you haven't used a keyboard for sometime, give it one or two weeks for the fingers to get used to it.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    04-10-17 08:27 AM
    Haha... small means compact. But, 9900 has faster processor and slightly "better" KB & screen, afaik. But the general form factor is pretty analogous, fwiw. If you've never used one it might seem pretty strange, compared with monster sized slabs but it does work. Fabulously so.

Trackpad means there's no need to ever touch the screen for navigation. That makes screen size only relevant to your eyesight. I simply hold my smaller screen handsets closer or utilize "i" shortcut to zoom in and trackpad to scroll & pan. Far, far faster and single handed friendly than "pinch zoom", imo. Generally, if I find something too small to read on my 9900, it's VERY rare that my larger stuff (D60, PP or Classic) is truly large enough to make the difference. Imo.

The "small" keyboard works because of its three dimensional tactile feedback. In fact, I find larger KB to be slower because of the extra distance to move thumb while reaching each character. My fastest type rates are achieved on the "really small" 9650!! But, 9650's "mushy" KB feel also increases my error rate. My profession demands ZERO errors.

Also, I use thumb nail, rather than thumb flesh, to type with. Greater precision & speed on the tiniest of sculptured Bold KB. An entirely different muscle memory concept that might prove impossibly alien to some "glass trained" users.

It sounds like it's a good thing you got to try that Bold because the 9780 really isn't vastly different from 9900. Maybe enough to make the difference for you?? Idk. If you find it to be too small, perhaps the Classic might prove a better fit?? I, personally, find the Classic to be greatly oversized but you might find it more compatible with your expectations?? Passport is even more oversized for single handed use, imo, but maybe worth a try for you??

Idk what could possibly be "undersized" about a track pad? Classic's TP is smaller yet and some have complained about it being too small but I never wrapped my mind around where they were coming from...??? Track pad is not some kind of "miniature touch screen", or anything. ?? It's an optical pointing device somewhat reminiscent of a PC/Mac mouse. It would be equally effective if it were the size of a pin head so I don't comprehend how a larger one would do anything better... ???

In a nutshell, tho, if you find 9780 to be excessively cramped, i'd be surprised if you'd find 9900 to be that much roomier. RIM managed to fit a LOT of capability into a COMPACT package. BUT one user's "compact" might be another user's "small".
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    04-10-17 08:31 AM
    As for the trackpad size, it is more or less the same across the models with trackpads, with probably an exception for the Pearl 3G. Again, it needs time to get used to, but just a day or two at most.

04-10-17 08:36 AM
    Time to adapt is likely the key.
    04-10-17 08:47 AM
    I used a 9780 for two years, and the biggest thing I noticed were the stiff keys, it was like a physical work out. Yes the processor is literally twice as fast on the 9900, I believe it's 624 MHz to the 9900's 1.2 GHZ and it is so much faster. The 9780 would be at a crippling speed now for loading pages I would imagine.

For me it was a very noticeable and huge difference going to the much bigger and wider keyboard of the 9900. So much nicer to type on the 9900 the keys were not as stiff but the more clicky giving you more satisfaction on the 9900. And because of the bigger size much more accuracy and not having to dig your fingertip deep into the phone like a 9780.

BUT the still camera is not as good on the 9900 because no autofocus. However video in 720p on the 9900 was on par or as good as my iPhone with 1080p and I shot over 500 YouTube videos to prove that to myself.

When I got my 9780 in 2011, I didn't feel it was inadequate then because Blackberry had a good selection of apps, serious apps and not useless toy apps you see on Apple devices, so I was happy with it overall. I was not happy with the 9780 camera module failing 3 times and having to void my warrenty to get it replaced at a private business at my own expense. I didn't want to have it shipped off because the loaner was a flip phone
    04-10-17 11:33 AM
    Sorry, I made a mistake regarding the model I tried, it was Bold 9790..
    04-10-17 01:59 PM
    My original charger is an RM0100 (small one, w/o cable) with 750mA, but the older models with 500/700mA will also work fine.
    I wouldn't use a charger with a current too high since it wears the battery faster. (Older?) BlackBerrys could even be damaged. There was a cap on the PlayBook charger that said you shouldn't use it with handhelds.
    Check BlackBerry Kb article 000026965. The PlayBook charger is compatible with any number of handheld devices from Blackberry, even the Pearl flip device.

My memory might be a bit foggy now but I designed some of these charging circuits before. It really doesn't matter the amp rating on the power supply as long as it has enough. The power supply doesn't "push" current, the charge circuit is responsible for drawing the right amount to charge the battery. More important is having correct voltage but since BlackBerry has been using the USB standard, it should all work.

Yes, if your circuit is crappily designed, it could fail, badly. (I trust BlackBerry did their homework on this). Yes, if you charge it faster it does "wear out" your battery faster. If I recall, higher amounts of current beyond a certain minimum decreased charge time quite insignificantly vs the wear out of the cells, so it's really not worth it.

I have used the PlayBook charger on all my devices, including an active Curve from 2011, and no issues. Have not even had to replace that original battery yet.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    04-10-17 04:53 PM
    Sorry, I made a mistake regarding the model I tried, it was Bold 9790..
    I had one of those too LOL for about four months it was a great phone just slightly slower than the 9900 with a 1 GHz processor, smooth buttery keyboard not as "clicks" as a 9900.

But yeah smallish keyboard and a smaller screen, 2.4 inches if I am not mistaken. The 9900 in comparison was like finally having a backyard to run around in ;p
    04-10-17 05:20 PM
    Typing on the 9790 could take a while to adjust to because of the curve edges of the keyboard on the left and right.
    It has an autofocus camera which is better than that of the 9900.
    I really like the design of this model.

Last edited by littlebuff; 04-11-17 at 10:00 AM.
    04-11-17 04:58 AM
    Deleted due to double post
    Last edited by littlebuff; 04-11-17 at 10:01 AM.
    04-11-17 05:11 AM
203 ... 6789