Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me out here (I'm not the most technology-savvy of people)...

I was typing something in BBM and my phone turned itself off for some reason. It restarted itself with the loading bar (like it does after a hard reset). The icons were tiny, some were not even showing, although the space was there for them (picture attached or below � sorry about the bad quality). The time isn't at the top of the screen, nor are the icons that say how many unread messages you have etc. I can't see my service provider or the signal bars.

I turned the phone off, took the battery out, put it back in again and it started, but came up with the same thing. I tried plugging it into my MacBook and the Blackberry icon came up in Finder, but when I opened Blackberry Desktop Software, it said "Blackberry Desktop Software failed to connect to your Blackberry device. Reconnect your device and try again." I tried disconnecting and plugging it in again � the same thing happened. Also tried turning my computer off and on again � also didn't work. Now the Blackberry icon isn't even showing up in Finder.

The icons on my phone are still tiny and unusable. I'm not sure if I have OS 6 or 7.

Does anyone know what's happening and how I can fix it? If not, I guess I'll head to a phone store tomorrow to see if they have any answers. Thanks in advance!!
    04-13-12 07:02 AM
    Have you tried resetting your home settings? You'll lose any customizations you've done (like custom wallpaper, theme, etc), but it should reset the home screen to the way it was when it came out of the box. It won't change your apps or anything and you should easily be able to restore the theme you had up.

JB
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 07:11 AM
    Hi JB, thanks for you speedy response! Yes, I have tried resetting my home settings – I went to options > reset default settings > selected wallpaper, downloads folder, icon arrangements and home screen panels. I didn't seem to do anything.
    04-13-12 07:24 AM
    Restore your OS. If the problem persists then take it back, but I don't see any point in taking it back for the sake of it.
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 07:26 AM
    Sorry to sound really naive, but how do I go about restoring my OS if my computer doesn't recognise my blackberry?
    04-13-12 07:29 AM
    First things first. For a battery pull to work the device must be switched on at the time.
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 07:31 AM
    I got the same result, TrespassersW.
    04-13-12 07:36 AM
    Did you install a theme that is not compatible with OS7/7.1? If so go back to the stock theme and then delete the theme that you were using and do a battery pull afterward. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 07:37 AM
    No – not that I know of. I wouldn't even know how to install a theme. Thanks for all of your help, by the way.
    04-13-12 07:41 AM
    To find out what OS is on your phone, go to:
    Options>Device>About Device Versions> and it will show you the OS version you are using on the 3rd line of that screen.
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 07:50 AM
    It says: 7.0 bundle 1346 (v7.0.0.261, Platform 5.0.0.464)
    04-13-12 07:54 AM
    What carrier are you with?

JB
    04-13-12 08:06 AM
    I'm with Optus in Australia
    04-13-12 08:10 AM
    Is there an update available for your device? That's the only thing I'm able to think of to help you out. When you say your computer doesn't recognize your device, is it through desktop manager?
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 08:19 AM
    As far as I can see, there isn't an update. I've gone to options > device > software updates, and it says "your blackberry is up to date". When I plug my phone into my computer, the blackberry icon doesn't show up like it usually does (I've got a Mac) and when I open BB Desktop Software it says "Blackberry Desktop Software failed to connect to your Blackberry device. Reconnect your device and try again."
    04-13-12 08:25 AM
    I just posted about this same problem the other day. Here is the thread. Can't figure it out. Frustrating and I got a new phone and same issues........

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-714648/
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 08:26 AM
    Thanks for your response, tchuck, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I wonder what it could be... Very frustrating indeed.
    04-13-12 08:45 AM
    This is a very strange one and does appear to be an OS issue. Try to press and hold the BACK key after rebooting, as soon as you see the red LED come up. See if you are able to get it to boot into safe mode.

Has anything changed on your device? Download anything from App world? Update to any applications over the air?
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 08:49 AM
    I just updated to my new software bundle yesterday so we will see if this helps. I am not taking the battery out though unless I have to If you go to a Sprint store, they can reset your device to factory settings and get the large icons back. For me, I can do this myself. I have security protection because of my work and if my phone is idle for 30 minutes I have to enter in a code. For me to reset to factory settings, I just enter in the wrong code 10 times and my phone resets. My Enterprise server then has all of my important info saved and it just transfers over.

The perplexing part in all this was when I got my new phone, the same issues were there and even when not using the same battery and SIM card. So frustrating but I do not want to go back to the Blackberry Curve as I like the Bold. What model do you have? I am curious if it is the same phone. I have the 9930 through Sprint.
    bb9900_e likes this.
    04-13-12 08:50 AM
    I booted it up in safe mode, but it all still seems to be the same. I probably should have mentioned this before - I have a 9900 and I'm with Optus in Australia. I used to have a 9700 but I managed to do something to the LED screen so I got the 9900 because it was going to be quite expensive to replace the screen of the 9700 (I'm noticing a recurring theme of ruining phones)
    04-13-12 09:07 AM
    Thanks for everyone's help. I took my phone to a phone 'clinic' and they said that they would reinstall the OS for me, and if that didn't work they would look at the motherboard. It turns out that reinstalling the OS worked just fine, so $50 later, my phone is back to normal. Thanks again!
    04-14-12 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD