Hi Forum,

as a new user and member I have a question for that I didn't find any answer:
    is there a decent little app that will sync internal clock of my Bold 9900 to a time server (NTP) on the internet?

Many thanks for the answers

FreeBSD-Onkel
    03-23-14 05:32 AM
    I'm not familiar with the 9900 options but all the other 9xxx phones have an option in Settings to take time sync from the cellular network.

For a cellular device direct Network time is even better than using ntp over cellular/internet - it is Closer in network connections. Network time sync is usually derived by GPS transfer or direct from a national time standard, and it avoids unpredictable extra hops and delays on your internet path to and from the (usually Tier2) ntp server you select. The only "better" sync than Network time which could be available to a cellphone would be to take the time signal from GPS. However I don't know of any commercially available cellular device which can use GPS time directly... wishlist.
    03-23-14 07:56 AM
    Hello Branta,

many thanks for your answer.
    How long does the device need to sync to the cellular network? Is the BB option needed for that?

Best regards

FreeBSD-Onkel
    03-23-14 09:28 AM
    Network time is a basic cellular function so data service is not required.Time for initial sync always seems to be unpredictable, but maintenance syncs never slip enough to worry about. Finding the time needed on your network is easy, set a manual time about 30 minutes adrift then switch to From Network and start your stopwatch
    03-23-14 07:51 PM
    Hello Branta,

thanks for your reply.
    My provider T-Mobile Germany told me that this NITZ service is not offered.

Best regards and sorry for the traffic.

FreeBSD-Onkel
    03-24-14 02:51 AM
    Sorry about that, TMo-DE must be one of the few networks which still don't publish time on the GSM network. I think you might be forced to set time manually unless you get lucky and your 9900 will sync from internet over your WiFi. I have a very old memory that one of my previous devices did this.
    03-24-14 12:28 PM
    you get lucky and your 9900 will sync from internet over your WiFi. I have a very old memory that one of my previous devices did this.
    What protocol is used? NTP, time, NITZ or something else?

In my home network I have an stratum 4 NTP server running which is synced to DCF77 and Braunschweig. Therefore I could try to get a daemon which serves the right protocol for my Blackberry.
    03-24-14 01:02 PM