My 9780 is approaching 2 years old and the end of my 24-month contract.

Been considering getting a 9900, but concerned about many owner reviews that report their phones becoming unreliable after around 12 months, including keyboard problems, crashing, freezing, loss of sound, etc.

I know the Q10 is coming soon and it looks very interesting, but I like my hardware buttons (no need to remove gloves). Plus it sounds like BB10 doesn't have some of the functionality that I have been used-to.

I am trying to keep an open-mind, but it would be really nice to know if there are inherent issues with the 9900 over time, or bad batches, or bad OS versions.
    02-24-13 02:36 PM
    In honesty, I would go for the Q10. If thats not your cup of tea, I too once came from the 9780 to the 9900.

The 9900 is just better than the 9780, you may be thinking that it wont be that much of a change, but it really is. the 9900 is a pleasure to use.

I had mine for about 18months, used it daily, some days more some days less. Keyboard still works great, never crashed, froze etc. It just worked.

Thats just my 2�
    02-24-13 02:57 PM
    Thanks for your reply EauRouge.

Your experience is encouraging and I have seen similar reports about good reliability.
    It's the reports of unreliability that make me nervous.
    02-24-13 03:38 PM
    i would wait for Q10 as well. The 9900 is a nice device, I have one going on maybe 13 months now. I reboot mine several times a day, it has crashed on me, freezes often and I've had a terrible memory leak. I have used all different types of OS's ranging from officials to leaks to hybrids. It could be that there is something wrong with my hardware. I believe the Q10 is more future proof than the 9900 and will last well for the next 2 years.
    02-24-13 05:07 PM
    i would wait for Q10 as well. The 9900 is a nice device, I have one going on maybe 13 months now. I reboot mine several times a day, it has crashed on me, freezes often and I've had a terrible memory leak. I have used all different types of OS's ranging from officials to leaks to hybrids. It could be that there is something wrong with my hardware. I believe the Q10 is more future proof than the 9900 and will last well for the next 2 years.
    Just wondering, do you look after your device? I certainly do and never had those problems. Maybe you have a defective model?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 07:15 PM
    My 9780 is approaching 2 years old and the end of my 24-month contract.

Been considering getting a 9900, but concerned about many owner reviews that report their phones becoming unreliable after around 12 months, including keyboard problems, crashing, freezing, loss of sound, etc.

I know the Q10 is coming soon and it looks very interesting, but I like my hardware buttons (no need to remove gloves). Plus it sounds like BB10 doesn't have some of the functionality that I have been used-to.

I am trying to keep an open-mind, but it would be really nice to know if there are inherent issues with the 9900 over time, or bad batches, or bad OS versions.
    I've had both, the 9780 and the 9900, and I've had to warranty both of them at about a year in - both for hardware issues. The 9900 is definitely a more advanced phone and the touch screen is nice, but the camera on the 9780 is noticeably better. My experience with the 9900 has been that it is more prone to spinning dial delays than was the 9780, but that may be because I'm asking more of it than I did the 9780.

I'll probably keep the 9900 for another year, since that is when my contract is up, but I could be persuaded to go for the Q10 a little earlier if the apps became available. (Yeah, I know about the side loading thing, but that sounds like a learning curve, and I'm really wanting to pick up a phone and use it ... not having to deal with work arounds sounds really good to me.)
    02-24-13 08:55 PM
    I, too have had the 9780 and 9900. As already mentioned, the 9900 is an absolute pleasure to use. I had issues with freezing and only 2 crashes from memory but I am a serial OS flasher. Since installing OS 7.1.0.4xx I have had zero freezes, crashes and my battery lasts well through a busy working day but I charge overnight routinely without ill effect. If you aren't in need of the latest and greatest then the 9900 is a superb choice. I will be keeping mine as backup when i get the z10.
    02-24-13 11:08 PM
    If money is no issue, you can wait, AND you do not have any very specific need for BIS, bedside mode, and high customization of sound profiles, I'd say the Q10 is superior for sure.

That said, the 9900 is a lot better than your 9780 in some respects. For one it has much better hardware, a dedicated graphics accelerator and more memory. Screen is bigger and has touch. Keys are larger and have a better feel when typing. You can easily pick up a 9900 in good condition for relatively little money.

The reliability issues... Well. Lots of that was early OS builds. Bricking. Bad battery life and various bugs. The latest carrier releases are solid and have solved things far as I know.

Though, the one sure thing is you'll not match the battery life on the 9780.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-24-13 11:33 PM
    I would get a Q10. I had the 9900 for about 20 months before the Z10 and it was a great device when it worked. It froze on me whenever I tried to do smartphone like things such as browsing the Web or looking at videos. However if you are just going to stick with emails and texts then the 9900 is the perfect phone

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 11:34 PM
    loved my 9900...amazing keyboard, very reliable device, device itself is solid, took lots of hits and falls and survived. If you have a PB, 9900 and bridge is perfection. Maybe you can try picking up a used 9900 to suffice and then get the Q10 when it's released...
    02-24-13 11:44 PM
    I bought my 9900 back in April 2012, so it barely is 11 months old right now. I had to take it back right after I bought it, because of a "sunken" trackpad. To make it short: Out of 5 devices the store had there was just one "good", two would be "acceptable" (one of them I have bought), two units were simply bad. One of those was the original Bold I bought, the other had not only the same sunken trackpad, but also a loose bottom cover. If it helps: All five devices were made in Mexica and have obviously been of an earlier production date (Q3/2011).

So, my Bold runs decent up to now. There are no keyboard problems. It didn't brick, even after a couple of software wipes. In addition I neither pull the battery once a day or restart the phone. If I have a very bad week, I restart two times a week (excluding application updates), battery pulls are much more rare. Maybe two times per month. This month for example, I had to pull the battery exactly once.

The only problem my device is plagued with, is known as the "sunlight problem". Basicly the touchscreen becomes unresponsive in bright sunlight, either direct light or certain angles. This might be a problem related to a faulty trackpad. Once you shadow up the TP, the touchscreen input is back to normal. I might purchase a new TP unit to replace the existing one. As others noted, the Bold can sure take some beating and keep going strong. Actually mine got more scratches from a case (Otterbox Commuter) than it got from actual falls.

As for the Q10:
    There are still some uncertain points about both the device but as well as the BB10 operating system itself. The latter still lacks some features people like from the legacy BBOS (USB-Sync for Outlook, Profile management, LED colors, themes just to name a few), as for the Q10, nobody knows for example about outdoor readability. It features a comparable display to the Galaxy S3, which IMO is lackluster in this discipline. So the 9900 might beat the Q10 if you want to use it outdoors on sunny days.
    02-25-13 06:40 AM
    Hello. I have had my Bold 9930 since November, 2011. Early on I had some minor issues with the spinning clock. After some early software updates it has not been a problem. If it does slow down, I recommend clearing the cache with the memory cleaner which is pre-installed. I do a battery pull about once a week also.

Overall, it has been the best phone I have ever owned. It syncs well with outlook, and backs up easily with the desktop software and BlackBerry Protect. Although there are complaints about the lack of apps, there are certainly numerous apps for weather, sports, facebook, twitter, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-25-13 10:19 AM
    I would get a Q10. I had the 9900 for about 20 months before the Z10 and it was a great device when it worked. It froze on me whenever I tried to do smartphone like things such as browsing the Web or looking at videos. However if you are just going to stick with emails and texts then the 9900 is the perfect phone

Posted via CB10
    Not to nitpick, but the 9900 has only been out for 18 months now...

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 09:50 PM
    If you can hold out until Q10, I would, but 9900 is still a good option. I love mine and will miss it. Best phone I've ever had. I switched from 9700 to 9900. HUGE difference! The keyboard alone is worth the upgrade.
    02-26-13 09:17 AM
    It would be a great upgrade but research BB10 OS and the two new devices that are schedule to come out in a few weeks, Z10 and Q10. We are all waiting patiently.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-26-13 09:29 AM
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I have been reading everything that I can on BB10, Z10 and Q10 and I am not sure that I am ready, or want, to make such a leap.

What like about the 9900 is that it will do everything that my 9780 does, but better.
    This can't be said for either the Z10 or Q10 in their present forms.

On the other hand, the idea of having the latest gizmo is quite attractive, but it is not much use if it is missing functionality that I use daily.
    02-26-13 03:41 PM
    Then based on your needs and what you want to get out of the device, see if you can score a reasonably priced 9900 now that the new ones are coming out!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 03:45 PM
    My take is i have had almost every BB you can think of here i get fed up easy so bored of what these devices do but saying this the 9900 so far has been my Favorite except for the battery.... i purchased just to get fed up with it too lol. i will probably purchase the Q10 i like the keyboard idea. i`m in hopes that the Q10 will finally give me what i`m looking for and wanting in a device...
    I would recommend to anyone the 9900 if they cannot afford the next step up....
    02-26-13 05:50 PM
    As of yesterday, I have a shiny new 9900.
    Renewed my Vodafone contract for another 2 years and got a free phone upgrade.

Thanks again to all who offered their opinions.
    03-16-13 04:50 AM

Nice one.

If it's Voda UK then it probably will have come with .714 out of the box.

Well worth updating the OS to .861. Also have a look at the BL Hybrid OS, works like a dream on my 9900.

App wise, if you don't already have it, take a look at Advance OS and LED. I couldn't live without it as it does so much and takes up so little memory.
    03-16-13 05:32 AM
    Thanks.

Yes, I am on Voda UK and the phone has .714

I am going to leave it as-is for now while I get used to it.
    It's a business phone and, as long as it handles emails, calls and texts reliably, that is good enough for me.
    03-16-13 03:35 PM
    Thanks.

Yes, I am on Voda UK and the phone has .714

I am going to leave it as-is for now while I get used to it.
    It's a business phone and, as long as it handles emails, calls and texts reliably, that is good enough for me.
    I'm also on Voda UK. 714 works fine but as Legal said its worth upgrading.

I hope you enjoy your 9900. Still love mine.
    03-16-13 04:14 PM

Gratz! 9900 is a great choice; hope you enjoy.
    03-16-13 09:35 PM
    why not consider Z10?
    03-17-13 02:55 AM
    I had them both. But the screen, keyboard and design are 10x better on the 9900. Only for the screen I would see yes, do it. (or wait for a Q10 of cours)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-17-13 04:22 AM
28 12