I'm thinking about getting a Bold 9930. I currently have an iPhone 4S but am intrigued by BlackBerry. I am concerned with one main thing. Lag. I have experienced no lag on my iPhone *knock on wood* and I know that BlackBerries are notorious for their spinning clock and I know a lot of people who say they lag a ton and how they want an iPhone. They do not have any of the new BB's and I am curious as to whether you folks experiencet a lot of lag or have to do battery pulls often. Thanks for the input.
    05-02-12 03:29 PM
    I have not experienced lag that much... only when I am heavily using the CPU, but rare. I do a battery pull more out of habit. It is not really needed as often as the older devices. You do have to reboot as often as you install or uninstall apps though. But my boot up time ranges from 50-90 seconds. My old Storm 9550 had a 5+ minute boot up time.

Of course I recommend the 9930, but read up on it here, compare to your 4S, ask questions, and express any other concerns.
    05-02-12 03:38 PM
    I have to battery pull about once. Every 2 weeks, not that bad. I haven't experienced a lot freezing or slowdown sine I got rid of a lot of free apps, that's where you have to watch out, poorly built apps means freezes and battery drain lol

if you have the 4s than you'll like the battery life on the bold, splendid battery life!!

Oh and my main problem with the phone is the quality of apps, there really rather poor really...
    You obviously won't have all the variety thats on the iphone but that just depends on what kinda user you are. The one I really miss from my switch from iphone and android is the IMDB app lol loved that app!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 03:47 PM
    My BB Bold works fine. I clear the cache once or twice a day (10 sec.). When it does lag, which isn't often, it is because I am doing several things at the same time like trying to download a news story when the Bold is trying to download 15 new headlines or trying to comment on facebook when feeds are refreshing. It just takes a few seconds for everything to catch up.
    05-02-12 04:13 PM
    Like he said. Clear the cashe...enjoy the(in my opinion) best phone on the market..

05-02-12 04:18 PM
    You will experience some lag on the bold but not much. A battery pull a day pretty much kepts that away.

05-02-12 04:24 PM
    If? you're looking for the best device for texting, push e-mail and BBM...then the Bold 9930 (I have a Sprint Bold 9930 since day one it was released) is a great communication device. other than that, iphone 4S leaves the Bold 9930 in the dust when It comes to apps and multi-media. Plus, I LOVE the iconic classic Bold design of the 9930. Unless RIM can make a TK Victory-Type Bold on OS10, Im afraid next year when my upgrade is available (June 2013), I might be getting an iphone 5S or 6 (or whatever Apple will be calling it) I have an ipod touch 4 and an ipad2, so I have the best of all worlds

05-02-12 07:42 PM
    The 9930 is a fantastic device. It's the best overall communication device. Keyboard is the best no doubt about it.
    05-02-12 08:02 PM
    i have both an iphone 4s and a bold 9900/9930 on AT&T. I use my bold for work because i work in finance and it is the most secure Handset out there. if you are in business or are big on social media, messaging, email, etc than definitely go with the bold it is a great device. the keyboard is astounding and i am really happy with the usability of the touch screen. like the previous poster said if you are looking for media consumption, apps or itunes integration than i would go with the iphone. i can say they are both great devices and it depends on what you will use it for. i love both of my phones and couldnt live without either of them. Of course go play with the bold and decide if the keyboard, security, and social network integration trumps apps and media. good luck with your decision and enjoy your new device!

- techrage mike

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 08:15 PM
    Just picked up my Bold 9930 at Best Buy for $99. Initial thoughts: nice keyboard, responsive touch screen, LED indicator light is a nice bonus, reboots fairly quick (quicker than my old 9650), battery capacity is "small" compared to other "premium devices". I started playing with it on the way home, and I admit, I really do love the physical keyboard. Will post a follow-up review in one week.
    05-02-12 09:09 PM
    I have an iPhone 4S 64gb which i have pretty much relegated to iPod status. I actually just used my upgrade on a Bold 9900. That should give you a bit of an idea of what I think about the device. There are small amounts of lag here & there, & the camera should be better, but overall the phone is fantastic.

05-02-12 10:36 PM
    I rarely see any spinning wheel, but I may be a light user. The keyboard is incredible. I make a lot of appointments, memos and tasks list. The BB functionality is useful to me during each day. If you are an one device person then consider which device will work the best. The BB browser works fine, but if I'm on the net for any length of time I use a Xoom. The second device strategy works best for me. If a communication device is your primary activity, then the BB is number 1.
    05-02-12 11:12 PM
    the spinning clock is caused by a number of factors, so everyone doesn't experience it.

it can be cause by memory consuming apps running in the background, and since it everyone doesn't run the exact same apps it varies.

If you're gonna get a Blackberry, get the new Bold. Its the best one out right now. Especially if you're coming from an iPhone 4s. Its the only one that's comparable.
    05-03-12 10:21 AM
    Come on in... the water is fine.
    05-04-12 10:42 AM
    The ONLY time I get the spinning clock on my 9900 is when I'm downloading and installing/upgrading an app. Other than that, this thing is always snappy and responsive. Having owned several other BB's before this, I can pretty safely say that at least with the 99** series, the lag issues are a thing of the past.
    05-04-12 12:49 PM
    Have been using it now for 4 days. Definitely love this phone. Actually thought I wouldnt get used to the Qwerty keyboard but I was definitely wrong.
    05-04-12 07:27 PM
    same here... only get lag while downloading an app. this phone is sexual and violent lol

05-04-12 08:23 PM
    Have been using it now for 4 days. Definitely love this phone. Actually thought I wouldnt get used to the Qwerty keyboard but I was definitely wrong.
    It is hard not to fall in love with the QWERTY keyboard. Glad too see that you are enjoying your new Bold.
    05-04-12 09:22 PM
    I'm thinking about getting a Bold 9930. I currently have an iPhone 4S but am intrigued by BlackBerry. I am concerned with one main thing. Lag. I have experienced no lag on my iPhone *knock on wood* and I know that BlackBerries are notorious for their spinning clock and I know a lot of people who say they lag a ton and how they want an iPhone. They do not have any of the new BB's and I am curious as to whether you folks experiencet a lot of lag or have to do battery pulls often. Thanks for the input.
    i am in a country where 99.999% of the population own lg, samsung or iphones. but, if you are someone that believes on getting things done or making something happen and not playing with a toy purposelessly then the 9900/9930 is for you.

just make sure you get a second battery just in case sh*t.
    05-04-12 09:57 PM
    I've had my 9930 since the release. It is safe to say the Bold is the best BB I have ever owned (been a BB user since the 8700g).

Best keyboard, responsive touch screen, improved browser, and it compliments my Playbook really well.
    05-04-12 10:39 PM
    In my experience you'll not have any lag issues with an official OS installed on solid hardware. The issues come along once you install and remove a lot of apps. BB OS suffers the same bit rot that say.... Windows does. Some BB apps are just poorly written like with any platform.

So I would install only things you really need. And then once in a while security wipe and put a fresh image on the device at the first signs of issues.

But if you just install the latest OS and go easy on the apps there's not reason the device can't operate for years without significant issues.
    05-04-12 11:24 PM
    Its a nice looking workhorse. I dropped it a few times and.. not a dent.
    be sure to update your OS to 7.1.0.402 cause battery life is far more than the stock OS.
    05-04-12 11:45 PM
    The ONLY time I get the spinning clock on my 9900 is when I'm downloading and installing/upgrading an app. Other than that, this thing is always snappy and responsive. Having owned several other BB's before this, I can pretty safely say that at least with the 99** series, the lag issues are a thing of the past.
    I agree completely. I only get the lag is if I'm installing/uninstalling stuff...or if I am in appworld too long. The 9900 is much less laggy than my 9700...by far.
    05-05-12 12:47 AM
    Bold is def the best bb to date. Do it... you wont regret it.

05-05-12 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD