I've had a bold 9900 for 2 years now, the Dev AlphaB from last september (exchanged for a z10 in March) and a DevAlpha C since march. I cut my Sim card so it can be put in any of the phones. Despite all the new software that BB10 brings to the table, it is not enough to make me move from my Bold9900, which I think is still the best smart phone you get.
I wont bother with all the lacking in IOS and Android as theyve been done to death.
Why have i stayed with BBOS7?
- The bold is fastastic from a form factor, build and quality point of view
- Keyboard is unsurpassed
- keyboard shortcuts ( BB10s quick actions is not a substitute, its simply a search feature) I want to press one button and know what will happen every time without looking
- Track pad (touch is like finger painting, I've been using a fine pen/pencil ever since I could, why would I go back to baby tools)
- Bold 9900 is a one handed phone, I can navigate, open, edit and basically do everything fast and comfortably with one hand. Despite BB ads, neither the Z10 or the Q10 can really be used with one handed. Always one hand to hold and one to poke. The Q10s lack of track pad (and thus the need to always move my hand away from typing position is a real negative)
- Elegant charging stand - Dont know why BB left this off
- True configurable sleep mode
- Q10 Amoled screen is just too dark
- BIS - I like its encryption and compression ability as well as the ability to manage accounts from a web portal.
- Music - I actually think that the wifi music sync on my Bold is far superior than any other system ive tried, including iTunes and the current Blackberry link implementation.
New features on BB10
- Gaming - meh
- Video - meh
- activesync - yay (although I've moved to BEScloud so its already solved on my bold)
- Hub and peek and flow - Different from BB7 but not better, integrated message box, multi application and quick app switching at least as good on bb7 as on bb10
- Desktop folder over the web with BBLink - yay
- Skype - meh - would've been nice a few years ago, but current unlimited calling plans make skype calling largely useless for me.
- 4g - More than I need ( I dont game or stream) all my apps work fine with 1mbps wireless link.
I think BB10 is a good business decision for Blackberry, It is a superior OS to IOS and android, the apps will quickly be comparable and any one who is a full touch screen user will find lots to like with the Z10 and be impressed by the undeniable superior workflow and messaging on BB10 versus IOS and android.
The Q10 is a good phone, but it does not compare to my Bold 9900 for what I need it to do. I can see that new software features may some day over come the current defeciencies in the Q10. But until then I will keep my 9900 and if it needs to be replaced, get another 9900