I travel a lot. Before I leave my country I turn data services to 'off' from mobile network settings, in order to avoid crazy bills lol. And sometimes when I am in other continents/countries I find a wifi, either in my hotel or at a cafe. But since my data services are set 'off' I can't use wifi to browse or email or even bbm. For example when using an iPhone I could turn data roaming off and still connect to a wifi and use my phone to browse, email and so on. Is that possible in a BlackBerry without getting charged from my carrier.
    Thanks
    11-26-11 05:22 AM
    Try setting it this this ...

Data Services ON.
    While Roaming OFF.
    WiFi ON.
    11-26-11 06:58 AM
    I travel a lot. Before I leave my country I turn data services to 'off' from mobile network settings, in order to avoid crazy bills lol. And sometimes when I am in other continents/countries I find a wifi, either in my hotel or at a cafe. But since my data services are set 'off' I can't use wifi to browse or email or even bbm. For example when using an iPhone I could turn data roaming off and still connect to a wifi and use my phone to browse, email and so on. Is that possible in a BlackBerry without getting charged from my carrier.
    Thanks
    Change data roaming to "prompt" in settings instead of "off"

Open "Manage Connections"

Turn "Mobile Network" Off (unchecked)
    Turn "Wifi On"

Now log into wifi and see if it warns about roaming data, if not you're good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 07:27 AM
    Mate,
    As you wrote in the first post, that's the correct way of connecting to the internet.
    Data ON
    When Roaming OFF
    WIFI ON
    See that the wifi icon turns white, not grey.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD