Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Texting to multiple contacts when not supposed to!!

I can't believe there isn't some serious code/logic in the os to prevent this from happening, could pose a considerable security risk!

I am running the latest 7.1.0.580 from verizon wireless. This just started happening recently in the last 2-3 weeks, even when I was on the previous version of the OS.

Suppose I have a group text message thread with multiple people in my text message inbox. I exit out of the group thread, and I want to send a message to an individual contact. An old thread with a single contact is visible in my text message list, and it just so happens that contact is also part of a group message above. I click on the text message thread with the individual contact and it shows me the text conversation just between me and this person-> I then reply to this message and it does not show up in the current thread i am in the individual person. I exit out of this individual text message conversation to find that the message I just mean to send to the individual person has instead been sent to the group message.

Sorry Im sure that was confusing...In another scenario I will be viewing a group message with multiple contacts, i exit out of the group message. I compose a new message indivudally to one of the contacts in that group message, I type in the message, it shows above only 1 recipient. I press send, the message is nowhere to be seen. I exit out of the individual message to find that it has instead gone to the group.

This seems like it should NOT be happening. Never had an issue with this prior to a few weeks ago. I have tried deleting and restoring the messages, it seems to work for a message or two and then reverts back to its old way of doing things. Does anyone have this same issue or know what the problem could be? This is messed up!

EDIT: Forgot to say I have a BB 9930 on VZW!

Thanks for your help
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evolute View Post
    I can't believe there isn't some serious code/logic in the os to prevent this from happening, could pose a considerable security risk!

I am running the latest 7.1.0.580 from verizon wireless. This just started happening recently in the last 2-3 weeks, even when I was on the previous version of the OS.

Suppose I have a group text message thread with multiple people in my text message inbox. I exit out of the group thread, and I want to send a message to an individual contact. An old thread with a single contact is visible in my text message list, and it just so happens that contact is also part of a group message above. I click on the text message thread with the individual contact and it shows me the text conversation just between me and this person-> I then reply to this message and it does not show up in the current thread i am in the individual person. I exit out of this individual text message conversation to find that the message I just mean to send to the individual person has instead been sent to the group message.

Sorry Im sure that was confusing...In another scenario I will be viewing a group message with multiple contacts, i exit out of the group message. I compose a new message indivudally to one of the contacts in that group message, I type in the message, it shows above only 1 recipient. I press send, the message is nowhere to be seen. I exit out of the individual message to find that it has instead gone to the group.

This seems like it should NOT be happening. Never had an issue with this prior to a few weeks ago. I have tried deleting and restoring the messages, it seems to work for a message or two and then reverts back to its old way of doing things. Does anyone have this same issue or know what the problem could be? This is messed up!

EDIT: Forgot to say I have a BB 9930 on VZW!

Thanks for your help
    I experienced this too after my OTA update from Verizon. I didn't post it because i never could have explained the symptom... Thank you for doing so.

I deleted the all the messages having anything to do with problem I was experiencing and have not seen that since. For me it happened after i received a message which had been cc'd to me.

Very strange symptom.
    CrackBerry Addict

i haven't had this sms problem but a different one that has to do with iPhones not BBs. After I send a group SMS and receive back replies, all the people I sent the msg to that have iPh get all the replies from everyone else that has an iPh. This has to be a network issue.

Sent from my Bold Dakota
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have the same problem. It has happened with multiple groups/individuals. Even after erasing the original group messages, I've had it reoccur. Did you find a solution? If so, please share. I cannot imagine that Verizon is going to be very helpful considering how absolutely bizarre this is! Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

AHA!

Me and many other people are having the opposite problem on many carriers with latest OS updates for OS 6 and OS 7. We are unable to participate in group MMS threads, we cannot reply to all, we can only reply to the original sender. We receive the responses to the original group MMS as individual MMS messages to ourselves. We can then reply to each individual, but in order to reply to everyone, we would have to create a new SMS message and select all of the their contacts. This then, would appear as individual SMS messages sent to the various parties. The group MMS functionality is disabled.

I am now nearly certain that the various carriers disabled this functionality because of the issue explained here. As far as I know, Verizon 9900 owners are the only ones who can use group MMS. I am very frustrated with the issue as I cannot participate in conversations with my co workers, but I see now that the alternative is probably ONLY being able to sent messages to groups of people. This is a messed up quirk for a phone that is basically supposed to excel at messaging and be inferior at everything else.