I will be buying the new iPhone 4S(Unlocked) as soon as it is released. I was wondering if there is a way to tether 3G data from my BB 9930 to the iPhone?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!
    10-14-11 02:18 PM
    So, if I read this correctly, you are upgrading to an iPhone 4s from the 9930, but you still want to be able to use the 9930 when you are out and about.

You could get the wireless hotspot added to the iPhone plan (not sure if Sprint allows that) and then connect the 9930 to it over WiFi, but without a BIS for the 9930 to connect to, it's really going to be just a paperweight.
    10-14-11 02:40 PM
    So, if I read this correctly, you are upgrading to an iPhone 4s from the 9930, but you still want to be able to use the 9930 when you are out and about.

You could get the wireless hotspot added to the iPhone plan (not sure if Sprint allows that) and then connect the 9930 to it over WiFi, but without a BIS for the 9930 to connect to, it's really going to be just a paperweight.
    I think he means the other way around, turn the 9930 into a hotspot.
    10-14-11 04:56 PM
    Problem is I don't think sprint even supports tethering anymore on BBs, they removed the plan option for it, and they charge $30 for it on android...

On other carriers they offer tethering plan options.
    10-14-11 05:31 PM
    Why do American carriers ask for more payment for tethering? I'm on Vodafone UK and I can use my 9700 as a modem free of charge. The only thing I lose is the data out of my 500MB monthly allowance. My friend is on Orange UK and can use his HTC Desire as a hotspot for free also. No extra charges apart from his data allowance.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-11 06:56 PM
    I think, providing you jailbreak the iPhone, there's an app for bluetooth tethering.

But it might be easier to just trim your sim card to fit the iPhone, then use an adaptor when you want to ****ch back to the BB.

10-14-11 06:59 PM
    Why do American carriers ask for more payment for tethering? I'm on Vodafone UK and I can use my 9700 as a modem free of charge. The only thing I lose is the data out of my 500MB monthly allowance. My friend is on Orange UK and can use his HTC Desire as a hotspot for free also. No extra charges apart from his data allowance.

Thanks.

People in the UK are actually paying a lot more if you think about it as it pertains to coverage area. I have two lines with 9930s with Verizon sharing 1200 minutes a month (Unlimited Data 'grandfathered in') costing me about $100. For a coverage area smaller than the state of Oregon, 1200 min 750MB data on Vodafone UK is 51 pounds or about $81US. True we have to pay more for tethering but for a coverage area 38x larger than the UK. It's not really an argument it's just US carriers have such an exponentially higher outbuild cost than almost anywhere else in the world.
    10-14-11 10:48 PM
    I think, providing you jailbreak the iPhone, there's an app for bluetooth tethering.

But it might be easier to just trim your sim card to fit the iPhone, then use an adaptor when you want to ****ch back to the BB.

Looks like you lucked with the 4s on Verizon since it's the only carrier that will allow the removal of the SIM card. Sprint's 4s doesn't allow the removal at all. AT&T 4s users won't be able to use a 3rd party SIM. Source: Sprint and Verizon confirm iPhone 4S Micro SIM unlock for international travel (update: Sprint remains locked?) -- Engadget

EDIT: Just noticed the OP was on Sprint.
    10-14-11 10:57 PM
    Looks like you lucked with the 4s on Verizon since it's the only carrier that will allow the removal of the SIM card. Sprint's 4s doesn't allow the removal at all. AT&T 4s users won't be able to use a 3rd party SIM. Source: Sprint and Verizon confirm iPhone 4S Micro SIM unlock for international travel (update: Sprint remains locked?) -- Engadget

EDIT: Just noticed the OP was on Sprint.
    I will be buying the new iPhone 4S(Unlocked) as soon as it is released.
    But yeah, If you're on sprint then you're out of luck anyways. My two cents only works on AT&T or outside of the USA.
    10-14-11 11:15 PM
    For my carrier, i am able to turn iPhone 4 into Hotspot and connect my 9900 to iPhone's hotspot for BBM and i dont pay for extra money. It's just the iPhone's data.
    10-14-11 11:15 PM
    But yeah, If you're on sprint then you're out of luck anyways. My two cents only works on AT&T or outside of the USA.
    Yeah if you're on Sprint and you get the 4s you're really up the creak since you can't even remove the SIM card. With AT&T I guess you can't use another SIM card....could've read the article wrong. Verizon is the only one where you can unlock it and use another SIM. Bleh...just get a BlackBerry...
    10-14-11 11:25 PM
    I'm starting to get the feeling that some people are getting confused by CDMA world phones.
    10-15-11 12:08 AM
    For my carrier, i am able to turn iPhone 4 into Hotspot and connect my 9900 to iPhone's hotspot for BBM and i dont pay for extra money. It's just the iPhone's data.
    Don't you need a SIM in the 9900 for BBM to work like that?
    10-15-11 12:28 AM
    Yes, i do

Another alternative, buy an iPhone without contract and apply for multi-SIM.
    10-15-11 03:15 AM
    the answer is no.
    10-15-11 09:55 AM
    I have a Bold 9000 on AT&T, and also an iPod Touch (2nd generation) and iPhone 3G. I've jailbroken both idevices and installed an app from Cydia (an app store for jailbroken devices) called iBluever. I also installed an app called PDANet onto my BB. These programs connect your devices via bluetooth, then PDANet makes a data bridge to your idevice through iBluever, giving you mobile data coverage and placing a "3G" symbol in the statusbar of your idevice as if you had 3G coverage. It doesn't show up as tethering on your bill (at least not on mine on AT&T, which would charge extra for tethering), it's merely data usage through your BB. PDANet is free, and iBluever is a one-time purchase of I think $2-$3, and you can install it on as many idevices as you want after your initial purchase. It's worked wonderfully for me ever since, and the data speeds are pretty great. So yes, it's quite possible indeed.
    10-15-11 03:12 PM
    The derp factor in this thread is slowly killing me. No, you can't "tether" your 9900 data plan to your new iPhone to avoid paying for service on it.

10-15-11 05:17 PM
    The derp factor in this thread is slowly killing me. No, you can't "tether" your 9900 data plan to your new iPhone to avoid paying for service on it.

What makes ou say that?
    10-15-11 06:41 PM

Thanks.

Easy. You are capped at 500mb of data whereas on Sprint in the U.S. there are no data caps (ie unlimited data).
    10-15-11 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD