tempted to try a 9900 for a month just for giggles

I had the 8800, 9700 and the passport.

recently had a go of the android Blackberry apps and love the old hub.

so for a giggle I want to run a 9900 for a month

This is my set up and essentials

3 email accounts

x1 GMail, email, contacts and calendar

x1 GMail, email only

x1 .live.com (the new hotmail) email only.

Facebook and messenger, Twitter, BBC news, and irc client, ebay, paypal, amazon, a maps app, speed test.

so, a big ask or still do'able ?
    10-26-16 12:58 PM
    Forget Speedtest. There are a couple of apps for it but doesn't work for me. I run AP News app and it works great but forget the location being able to connect. Still more than tons of info there as the rest of the app works beautifully.

Facebook and Twitter work perfectly but do NOT update the Facebook app as the new update is just a shortcut to the regular mobile site. I use these everyday and notifs are always working perfectly, I cannot say the same on my ios devices for audible notifications.

Gmail can be tricky only in regard to the fact you have to sign in to gmail desktop and under options you must toggle ON "allow less secure devices" and then Gmail will take.

Other than that it is my main device now and I have tons of social networking, emails, even an instagram uploader app that works perfectly.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-26-16 at 06:50 PM.
    10-26-16 01:10 PM
    mmm, google is saying allow less secure devices" not available on accounts with 2 step enabled and I have been hacked before a few years ago.
    10-26-16 01:47 PM
    mmm, google is saying allow less secure devices" not available on accounts with 2 step enabled and I have been hacked before a few years ago.
    http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-26-16 06:51 PM
    the idea could be DOA then
    10-27-16 12:12 AM
    Gmail can be tricky only in regard to the fact you have to sign in to gmail desktop and under options you must toggle ON "allow less secure devices" and then Gmail will take.
    How does this work exactly? Because I've never had to do this, GMail just works. Actually even better than on BB10 as I can flag SPAM directly from the inbox on my Bold.

I do Yahoo, Gmail & a regular POP. News is RSS through the social feeds app, including BBC.

Dunno about FB or Twitter, but there's apps for them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-27-16 12:35 AM
    How does this work exactly? Because I've never had to do this, GMail just works. Actually even better than on BB10 as I can flag SPAM directly from the inbox on my Bold.

I do Yahoo, Gmail & a regular POP. News is RSS through the social feeds app, including BBC.

Dunno about FB or Twitter, but there's apps for them.

I sure wish I could find my thread or post I did for this back in December, I detailed everything I went through, I had to learn from scratch. I never knew what they meant by "2 step verification" but all they mean is log in with Gmail and then with the gmail password when you have to set up to allow Less Secure Devices in Gmail desktop mode. I only have had to do this ONCE, back in December when I started really setting up the device. It has worked ever since.

In comparison my hotmail just worked, login with "2 step" right on the 9900 and BAM, instant emails. I think the reason Gmail is more of a pain for older devices is they are trying to get more serious about security and don't want to be seen lagging too far behing other platforms.....maybe.

I don't have POP anymore, I was with Shawmail before, so no idea how that would have worked out on the 9900.

I NEVER use that social feeds app or whatever, I would rather just click regular notifs or go directly to each app after seeing the notif. But some like it I guess.

As for flagging spam, etc. There is always ONE FB notif on my ipad that I can NEVER get rid of. I have tried everything I can think of and it just comes back. I had an experience with this happening once before earlier in the year and after researching it, it has something to do with ios and Blackberry and a conflict of interest between the trash deleted mails between the 2 operating systems.

10-27-16 12:52 AM
    the idea could be DOA then
    Wipe the device clean, no viruses, hacking, start from scratch.

10-27-16 12:52 AM
    First of all where are you located and who is your cell phone carrier? Reason I ask is because if you are on TMobile like i am you will not have 3G/4G if your 9900 is a TMobile branded phone since they no longer have the 1700 frequency. However, if you purchase an ATT 9900 and unlock it you will have at least 3G. I just purchased an Unlocked no carrier branded 9780 to try this out.

Let us know how it works for you and good luck! I have been using my 9780 for about 3 weeks now on just the EDGE data and it works ok.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    10-27-16 03:23 AM
    I'm in the uk on 3 mobile

So 3G on the 2100 band
    10-27-16 03:29 AM
    You can set up Gmail on the 9900 without disabling 2-step verification, at least you could when I last used my Bold. Use Googles 'application specific password' facility when setting up the 9900 mailbox. Just search Google help pages, or search the 'resurgence' thread where I (and others) have previously referenced that approach
    10-27-16 08:03 AM
    mmm, maybe google has realised people still use BB06 and 07 on mass.
    10-27-16 08:51 AM
    I NEVER use that social feeds app or whatever, I would rather just click regular notifs or go directly to each app after seeing the notif. But some like it I guess.

And I never use the Social Feeds app for social feeds :-)
    It became my RSS news app after they discontinued BlackBerry News. I soon realized it's quite nice to use.

For example, I have it set to receive RSS alerts from the government emergency centre, so any storms, earthquake, flooding etc. and I get an immediate notification. But I can customize it so none of the other feeds will bother me unless I explicitly open the app. I love it! There isn't a similar feature really on BB10.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-28-16 12:20 AM
    Ah, I use Twitter for alerts like that, I activate the notifs for the City alert page and BAM

10-28-16 12:44 AM
    If someone is curious and want to check his internet speed and as you know, on BB there is now Speed Test app, there is a way, to check it.

If you check website www.fast.com in your BlackBerry browser(or any other browser) you will see how fast is your connection
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-28-16 02:09 AM
    If someone is curious and want to check his internet speed and as you know, on BB there is now Speed Test app, there is a way, to check it.

If you check website www.fast.com in your BlackBerry browser(or any other browser) you will see how fast is your connection
    Nice site!!!!! My ipad air is running at 6 mbps and my 9900 is faster at 7.1!!!!!! Both on wifi.....
    [IMG]html>
    <head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/IMG]

10-28-16 12:06 PM
    Hmm odd that my cell tower data speeds are always much higher on my iphone but for the 9900 my tower data speed is only 2.5 mbps. Still, the wifi is fast and that makes all the difference. In the wild I don't notice any slowdown when on the street.

10-28-16 12:09 PM
    bold ordered, took a while to find someone who sells then in good nick and reliable feedback + 6 month warranty
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-28-16 12:33 PM
    bold ordered, took a while to find someone who sells then in good nick and reliable feedback + 6 month warranty
    Cool, so BIS will be ok and stuff?

10-28-16 12:35 PM
    Is it possible to use BBM on 9900/30 without a Sim card? Just wondering.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-28-16 12:47 PM
    just relogged back into my Blackberry account, still there.
    10-28-16 01:18 PM
    Is it possible to use BBM on 9900/30 without a Sim card? Just wondering.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    It should not be possible (but every once in a while I get surprised, so I never say never). You need to have BIS through your carrier in order to use BBM. AFAIK, no SIM, no carrier, no BIS, no BBM.
    10-28-16 10:16 PM
    It has arrived, seller must have made the last post on Friday.
    10-31-16 06:10 AM
    well its all up and running, prime email, calender and contacts all there.

Just missing an IRC app
    10-31-16 03:14 PM
    what is a IRC app?

Sent From My Legacy Model  9900
    10-31-16 06:53 PM
33 12