Well I guess I missed this but after finally being able to start sifting through the Bold 9900 that I have on T-Mobile, NFC is nowhere to be found. Not a huge deal I guess but it is one less thing. And there is also no included SD card. Future update I guess...
    08-20-11 10:12 PM
    No nfc, uma, or hotspot. That's why I'm going to Sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 10:17 PM
    NFC I can wait for. UMA is irrelevant for my applications and hotspot would be nice but I can live without.
    08-20-11 10:20 PM
    9900 NFC antena is on the battery door but no software in device on managed conection NFC is not their.

9930 Sprint NFC is on mananged connection to turn off/on and antena is on
    battery door.

reporting whats on Tmo 9900 and Sprint 9930 devices...
    Last edited by mike22; 09-07-11 at 09:12 AM. Reason: information about devices
    09-03-11 12:29 PM
    not even the latest leak turns this on, so we just have to wait for a Special OS update for t-mobile?
    09-07-11 08:06 AM
    You don't know what NFC is if you think you turn it on and there's an app that says NFC. The apps that will use NFC aren't out yet as the industry hasn't matured. It's just like Bluetooth and USB ports were in the early days. the hardware was in computers and devices for years, but you couldn't use it because it was just the technology piece. The Battery door has the antenna, nothing else. The NFC radio is on the motherboard.... Until the Carriers, or other vendors start providing the Payment Services, NFC will just be part of the device.

http://www.gsmworld.com/documents/nfc_services_0207.pdf
    Last edited by chasvs; 09-07-11 at 08:47 AM.
    jaylew likes this.
    09-07-11 08:45 AM
    You don't know what NFC is if you think you turn it on and there's an app that says NFC. The apps that will use NFC aren't out yet as the industry hasn't matured. It's just like Bluetooth and USB ports were in the early days. the hardware was in computers and devices for years, but you couldn't use it because it was just the technology piece. The Battery door has the antenna, nothing else. The NFC radio is on the motherboard.... Until the Carriers, or other vendors start providing the Payment Services, (and the other features that NFC is used for), NFC will just be part of the device.

fixed/added
    09-07-11 09:38 AM
    What I meant is that if I click the top bar to bring down the managed connections I don't see the option of turning on or off nfc and I've seen some pics of other 9900 that do have this option.

09-07-11 10:05 AM
    What I meant is that if I click the top bar to bring down the managed connections I don't see the option of turning on or off nfc and I've seen some pics of other 9900 that do have this option.

Those are Canadian or other foreign phones. I have seen that picture also.
    09-07-11 11:24 AM
    If t-mobile doesn't put that on their 9900's I'm going over to sprint.
    09-07-11 02:43 PM
    You won't even see widespread usage of NFC until this time next year if ever.
    09-07-11 02:53 PM
    It's part of the cost of the phone they don't discount it if it's left off.
    09-07-11 05:06 PM
    Those are Canadian or other foreign phones. I have seen that picture also.
    As was said previously, there's no real use for it yet, but as you can see it's there. No Canadian or foreign phone here, just a current leaked OS. The Smart Tags icon is for NFC use and such I assume.

09-07-11 05:32 PM
    You don't know what NFC is if you think you turn it on and there's an app that says NFC. The apps that will use NFC aren't out yet as the industry hasn't matured. It's just like Bluetooth and USB ports were in the early days. the hardware was in computers and devices for years, but you couldn't use it because it was just the technology piece. The Battery door has the antenna, nothing else. The NFC radio is on the motherboard.... Until the Carriers, or other vendors start providing the Payment Services, NFC will just be part of the device.

I have SmartTags installed on my 9900. So, yeah, there are apps available.
    09-07-11 05:38 PM
    The previous version of 7.1 had NFC installed with it and I was able to access it from the drop down menu
    01-16-12 05:40 PM
    The NFC is on the tmobile phone, they have chosen to block it until something that actually uses it comes into existence. No point in it draining your battery for no reason!
    01-16-12 08:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD