Since getting my PlayBook, I am having a tough time not having a BlackBerry smartphone to pair with it. I've been lurking around Ebay and am finding several brand new T-Mobile 9900's for sale that are $200-$300 below full retail. If I bring an unlocked, T-Mobile branded phone onto my plan, would there be any drawbacks opposed to purchasing the device directly from the carrier?

I don't want to lose 4G speed with Wi-Fi hotspot. I don't want to wait until whenever BB10 is released to get the full capability out of my PlayBook. And I am on T-Mobile already.
    09-10-12 02:49 AM
    It should work perfectly fine. How are they brand new though? My only concern would be the warranty period on it. If they are T-Mobile branded, that means someone had to have gotten it from T-Mobile at some point...which means that the warranty period started whenever the person got the phone. The warranty period is always year, but usually if I call after the 365 days with a problem, T-Mobile will still do a warranty exchange and send me a new one that I exchange my problem phone with.

If I were you, I'd call 611 and ask T-Mobile what would happen if you were to use a new T-Mobile branded 9900. I'd say that my friend gave it to me, and I was just checking to see about the warranty. Other than that, the 9900 is a great phone and when the PlayBook is paired with a BlackBerry, it increases its usefulness hugely.
    09-10-12 03:42 AM
    Thanks. This is heavily influencing my decision on whether to start bidding on Ebay or walk in to T-Mobile and buy one. However, I have been reading about a $200 "migration fee" that could be applicable if I walk in with a device that's technically "off the grid." If that's the case, it would kill my savings from bidding on Ebay.
    09-10-12 07:28 AM
    Do you currently have a T-Mobile BIS or BlackBerry plan with HotSpot enabled?

If so, you shouldn't have to do anything more than put your T-Mobile SIM in the new Berry and go to town.
    If you have an older Berry - 9700/9780 you can still bridge your PB and BB but it will be over BlueTooth vs WiFi you wont get HotSpot w/ older BB - capability isnt available
    If I remember correctly T-Mobile 9900 7.1.0.74 is the best HotSpot software
    09-10-12 07:54 AM
    Since I currently do not have a BB phone, the data is for an Android device. I know that I'll need to modify that part of my account which would make my HTC useless but I want my fianc� to have a phone with Ice Cream Sandwich until I can get her an iPhone 5. I was just told by a support rep that there would be no fee involved if I were to do this. Now, I just need to get a second opinion at my local T-Mobile store so I don't get jammed up with any hidden fees or gotchas.
    09-10-12 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD