• 2 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 1 Post By davisgq
  • 1 Post By dbmalloy
  • 1 Post By olblueyez
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation AT&T Employee Blackberry test

Hello fellow Crackberry abusers!

So I decided to test AT&T, and see what they would tell me after I decided on a Blackberry smartphone.

As I walked in, I am greeted by a friendly lady that starts asking me what type of phone I was interested in. I continue to tell her that I am interested in the Blackberry Bold 9900. She then gives me this look and tells me that they are going out of business and from what she claims to have heard, Blackberry won't be carried by the AT&T brand much longer. Then I asked her about BB 10 and if she knew what was coming. She naturally said yes, but then ushered me to a pantec phone (not a smartphone) as an alternative to the Blackberry smartphone.

For one, I am extremely disappointed that she would tell customers rumors on what she 'heard' about Blackberry, regardless of the accuracy of the source she got it from.

Secondly, I am completely thrown off as to why she told me to get a pantec non-smartphone over Blackberry's flagship device.

Yes, she could have just been a new employee, and I am not trying to throw AT&T under the bus, but I have had this same type of encounter from a Best Buy employee. I wish every employee that worked at an electronics store helped customers with a neutral standpoint, and not a negative (in this case Blackberry) standpoint.
    CrackBerry Genius

There are other threads with the same topic that you could have add to instead of starting yet another one...just saying.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,036 Global Posts

This type of negative attitude towards rim is at every carrier not just ATT. VERIZON has the same attitude when you go in a store or over the phone.
    All the bad press is killing Rims sales and they need to fight their way back to the top.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks RoseBud, I'll make sure to check next time.

ESN, I don't understand why, but yes, RIM should focus on talking to the carriers. I still dont believe they should have to babysit the carriers so that they sell Blackberry. It is very sad.
    CrackBerry User

Here's some positive news with carriers, my family was up for upgrades a few weeks ago and my brothers are all into the droid even saying I'm "stupid" for using a dead platform. The irony would be I smashed the screen of dear 9700 in the door of a friend's jeep, and after weeks of us going over how to do the upgrade I said lets just go I'm getting a 9900. They wanted Galaxy S3, and on launch day which made it a fun hide an seek game. Luckily a friend of mine's brother is a manager at Tmobile our carrier. Told him the situation, on the subject of the 9900 he said its a good phone by why waste my upgrade when TMobile is working with RIM on the BB10 launch, so after hearing this I had to ask more. Good news is RIM and Tmobile are working very closely, that a RIM rep visits regularly giving them updates and preparing them for BB10. This was before RIM announced the delay to Q1 2013 and he confirmed prior to this that it was set for October. So I ended up pocketing my upgrade till BB10 and picked up a secondhand 9900 on ebay, will say the 9900 is one sick phone over the 9700, but i can't wait till BB10!
    DocDRM and Sparkboy17 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,980 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

Before Christmas of 2011 I went into our local Sprint store to grab myself the 9930 off contract. I walked in and told them I was interested in a new phone. He looked up my account and told me that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. I told him I knew that and I wanted the Bold 9930. He never hesitated and brought me 1 right out.

Now I might have had a better experience simply because there could have been some major commission going on there that I didn't know about. But even that guy told me he was an Android user but after playing around with the 9930 when they got them in that it was way better than any other BB they had ever had in the past and the keyboard alone was almost enough to make him switch.
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
    CrackBerry User

im an att employee myself and i use a 9900 and a 32gig playbook and love both. I will admit that most reps push people towards androids because of the incentives we receive for selling them, especially Samsung devices. I try and push people towards blackberry as much as possible but its really hard to sell them when i get the respons "well my friends all have androids." I rather not lose a sale completely just because i want them to get a blackberry, i get paid just as much to sell one as i do the other. Its also a pretty hard sale, when the GS3 is 200, just as the 9900 and it has a faster processor, better camera, so forth. All people care about in this world is what there friends think of them, so if someone else has one thing then they want to same.

I will always be a BB fan, cant WAIT for BB10!
    Thanked by 2:
    saxxman (07-19-2012),  schlemer (07-19-2012) 
    saxxman, schlemer and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,596 Global Posts

I've never had issues with AT&T store employees. However, I know the store manager, and he is the person I deal with. He knows that I am knowledgeable about smartphones, so he just gives me whatever I want when I stop in and ask for a new device.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

RIM cannot stop folks from spreading misinformation. If they get blackberry 10 out and it is awesome this problem will lessen a great deal.

Sent from my flip-phone.

Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Carriers and their sales staff sell what they make the most money on. My AT&T company store is all hot on the Android phones and will push them over a Blackberry any day.

I hate to say it and I know it will p*ss others off but RIM is in decline that they will likely not recover from. BB10 is another RIM promise just like the 9900 was. I got to see it to believe it now as RIM has shoveled too much stuff.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    Carriers and their sales staff sell what they make the most money on. My AT&T company store is all hot on the Android phones and will push them over a Blackberry any day.

I hate to say it and I know it will p*ss others off but RIM is in decline that they will likely not recover from. BB10 is another RIM promise just like the 9900 was. I got to see it to believe it now as RIM has shoveled too much stuff.
    The 9900 is awesome though
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A006EA

Not just AT&T... there are other reports about other carriers / stores spreading the same rumors...
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Message me

Default Yeah... Verizon...

Quote Originally Posted by ESN View Post
    This type of negative attitude towards rim is at every carrier not just ATT. VERIZON has the same attitude when you go in a store or over the phone.
    All the bad press is killing Rims sales and they need to fight their way back to the top.
    Same experience when I went to get my Bold in January of this year at my friendly neighborhood Verizon Wireless store. I already wrote a detailed post about my experience there previously. I would love to prove them wrong when I return in a year or so with my 9930 looking to upgrade to BB10. I've already outlasted by 2 months the sales rep's prediction of me being back in 5 months because my 9930 would be dead before then.

At least steer me with a persuasive argument about why I should go with Android or iPhone. Don't just say "you don't want Blackberry."
    Thanked by:
    Sparkboy17 (07-19-2012) 
    Sparkboy17 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by boss_hog View Post
    The 9900 is awesome though
    I have to agree but it just had a lot of problems. I went out and bought 5 for my employees and one after the next died multiple times and we gave up and went to the iPhone 4S. It is a shame as I have been using the RIM from the old 950 days when it was just a alpha-numeric pager with a track wheel.

Anyone know what a track wheel is?
    CrackBerry Genius

All these threads prove is how lazy businesses are..... All the misinformation just shows that the carriers are not training their sales people correctly.... one the main rules of sales I follow... never knock the competition as you never know when you will be selling it....

Seen it in compter sales.....Last year at a Staple's in Canada I deal with.... A salesperson was telling a client that HP was absolutley not going to making PC's anymore.... Just to sell an Acer which I know the store wanted to move....

Well low and behold a month later... the store was bidding on a 300 computer tender for a new school... guess what... the person tendering the sale was the same person that was told HP was going out of the PC business..... guses what Staple's proposed for PC's.... HP... Think they got the sale???? no.... ironically the school ended up with HP from another company.....

RIM needs to make BB10 more attractive than the competition... this way these stories will be about Nokia or Microsoft......
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 07-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

It hurts to hear these kind of stories. I was listening to a radio station DJ who was advertising an app to download for their station. They mentioned the iOS app and Android, and then almost as an afterthought said there was also one available for the Blackberry through a 3rd party. Then she had the gall to say something to the effect of "does anyone still use those things?" This was on a station that caters to 18-30 year olds.
    CrackBerry User

I'm an ATT employee and that sales rep doesnt know how to sell period. You came in asking for a smartphone why show you a low tier quick messaging phone smh. Well I own a Bold 9900 and an iPhone but I dont really push BB like that to be honest. Don't get me wrong I love my BB but people are like sheep now a days and all they want is iPhone or Galaxy S3. Customers that don't know to much about phones must be told the pros and cons between iphone, android, and etc. But one thing is for sure once BB gets wind of ATT employees doing things like that will get them fired and I've seen this happen with the Nokia Lumia
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Well, I hope RIM ceo is reading this stuff, I think people won't change their phone choice because of carrier, for example, i went to turkcell in turkey from vodafone, since bis plan's on vodafone are useless, same price but no data on vodafone.

I know you crackberry addicts, like me, may change operator. At the end of the day, all carriers doing same stuff.
    9780 >> 9900
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!

Why test people when you know they will fail the test?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't understand the purpose of this test other than to be annoying.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    820 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ab5b28f

When i got my wife's 9900 at the T-Mobile store father's day weekend the manager was rocking a 9900 and the employee who rang up my order had a 9700. They both insisted they were most comfortable using BlackBerrys. The manager said the 9900 was one of the best phones they sell.
    You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    331EEA46

I deal with a corporate account manager at Verizon and he knows we are a blackberry shop, but he still tries to push droids on me every time he stops in. They are getting huge incentives from the everyday droid manufacturers.