Originally, I purchased the 9900 to be a glorified mp3/FLAC player and note taker (to accompany my Z10) because of the awesome physical kb. Then decided to use the 9900 for work, so I continued to unlock it through a reputable unlock service but for some reason the 9900 wouldn't unlock with the provided MEP code, and the 9900 was purchased from a reputable online marketplace too.

In the end it worked out because I was able to buy a mini SIM and get the 9900 activated on a Cricket Wireless on talk & text plan and registers on the network as 4g. Setup Visual Voice Mail app, running latest AT&T OS 7.1.0.862 (2435), and can connect to the internet via WiFi (if needed). I wanted to remove BBM too and with BBM update v.8.5.3.9, it completes the update if you leave the screen on the BBW update progress then restart and then are able to delete BBM from 'Application Management'. Also, I'll see if contacts will easily import/export through a .csv file.

I'm pleased with this outcome since it beats paying for and using a crummy flip phone.
    Last edited by sibeans; 07-06-15 at 06:35 PM.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    07-06-15 06:23 PM
    I LOVE my 9900... I have the Classic currently on my main line, prior my 9900 was holding that down in between I toggled on and off with BB10 devices that I didn't enjoy as well as other platforms... The Classic finally won me over as my daily driver, but I just could NOT let my 9900 go... Ended up giving my S6 Edge (the current flavor of the month I was toying around with) the boot from second line and replugged that spot with my 9900... It is still a beautiful device for the basics. Phone calls, SMS, emails, light browsing... Compact and light weight. The perfect size for a phone phone... Plus a wonderful travel companion when abroad... (especially since T-Mobile hasn't worked out its' WFC on the Classic yet and I never was fond of my Q10, the 9900 is perfect with its' UMA and BIS compression when overseas...) A fine mobile despite its' age. Especially as a secondary device!

Posted via CB10
    sibeans and Mr4aces like this.
    07-06-15 06:44 PM
    I am assuming that you do not have BIS services, so the browser and other BIS dependent applications don't function.
    07-07-15 10:37 AM
    No BIS or data, so I don't receive MMS and can use the stock browser on WiFi, I wouldn't depend on the browser for casual use since it's slow by today's standards but full websites will load better than some mobile sites. Someone posted a writeup on how to use the 9900 without BIS so I may look into getting the email work around working.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    07-07-15 02:17 PM