I am considering switching to 2G to help with battery life. Does switching to 2G affect push notifications?

I mean email and BBM notifications.
    01-28-12 12:50 PM
    So long as you are connected to BIS while on 2G it should all work. If you see EDGE thne you have BIS, if you see edge (in lower case) then you are not connected to BIS.
    01-28-12 01:32 PM
    All your notifications will be fine. The major difference for me was the browser speed. I have since gone back to 4G, but you will definitely see great battery life on 2G.
    01-28-12 02:55 PM
    Yeah the main thing is browser speed and I notice a bit of worse phone call quality. I often switch to 2g when I know im not going to be home for a while and need my phone to last the day.
    01-28-12 03:13 PM
    I am considering switching to 2G to help with battery life. Does switching to 2G affect push notifications?

I mean email and BBM notifications.
    I find bbm faster on 2G, push email is just the same, only downloading attachments and browsing will be slower. It also depends on what 2G signal you have, GPRS is slow, EDGE can be quite fast, some EDGE networks even allows youtube streaming, audio streaming is no problem.

Biggest difference when it come to 2G vs 3G is 3G allows simultaneous calls and data, with 2G you can only do one at the time.
    01-28-12 04:47 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm usually on wifi at home/work but have poor 3G signal.

I'm hoping to use the wifi fro browsing etc while using 2G for calls/sms.
    01-28-12 04:47 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm usually on wifi at home/work but have poor 3G signal.

I'm hoping to use the wifi fro browsing etc while using 2G for calls/sms.
    I use shortcutme app to do it, space+H turns signal to 2G and wifi on, space+O to do the opposite.

A poor 3G signal will eat your battery in no time.
    01-28-12 04:50 PM
    If you see EDGE thne you have BIS, if you see edge (in lower case) then you are not connected to BIS.
    I also wondered about this. Thanks!
    01-28-12 04:58 PM
    This forum is awesome! You not only get advice to the problem, but also extra tips - thank you for all you're replies.

You are right, spending even a couple of hours in the basement at work drains battery at 20%/hour!
    01-28-12 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD