Hi guys,
    I got my new Blackberry Bold 9900 yesterday but I had some issues with my carrier, so my 3G flatrate is not going to be available til tomorrow. I turned mobile data off, because I am not planing to spend all my money for going on the internet. But the weird thing is (btw I still am connecten to a wireless network) that I can still surf the web, go on facebook etc. even though I turned mobile Data off. In Services and Status it says that I am not connected to this wireless network, even though it shows I AM connected at the top of my screen. So through which connection am I using the internet? I just want to make sure, that I am not going to be broke after these 2 days, just because my Blackberry used the 3G Network even though I turned mobile data off! BTW: I switched from an iPhone and I have to say BB is way better; this is the only (hopefully not expensive) inconvenience I encountered in my first day with the Bold.

Have a good weekend,
    Cheers, Julius
    07-29-12 05:48 AM
    Hi guys,
    I got my new Blackberry Bold 9900 yesterday but I had some issues with my carrier, so my 3G flatrate is not going to be available til tomorrow. I turned mobile data off, because I am not planing to spend all my money for going on the internet. But the weird thing is (btw I still am connecten to a wireless network) that I can still surf the web, go on facebook etc. even though I turned mobile Data off. In Services and Status it says that I am not connected to this wireless network, even though it shows I AM connected at the top of my screen. So through which connection am I using the internet? I just want to make sure, that I am not going to be broke after these 2 days, just because my Blackberry used the 3G Network even though I turned mobile data off! BTW: I switched from an iPhone and I have to say BB is way better; this is the only (hopefully not expensive) inconvenience I encountered in my first day with the Bold.

Have a good weekend,
    Cheers, Julius
    I am assuming that when you say Mobile Data off, you mean - Mobile "Network" off OR "Data Services" Off under "Mobile Network".

If you are connected to a WiFi network and Mobile "Network" is off (OR Data Services is off) then you are using the internet through the WiFi device (router / hotspot) and not via the carrier.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 07-29-12 at 07:40 AM.
    07-29-12 06:18 AM
    Welcome to CB OP,

Exactly what Lord Raj
    07-29-12 06:26 AM
    Thanks a lot for the quick responses! I was just a little puzzled since mobile data services were turned off and i read everywhere, that you aren't able to use WIFI then as well. Maybe they changed that with the 7.1 update or something.
    07-29-12 07:47 AM
    Thanks a lot for the quick responses! I was just a little puzzled since mobile data services were turned off and i read everywhere, that you aren't able to use WIFI then as well. Maybe they changed that with the 7.1 update or something.
    You could always use wifi with the mobile network off since it won't use data. But you can't use the wifi hotspot without the mobile network on
    07-29-12 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD