ok is it just mine, or do all Bold 9900s recharge super quick?
    I love the fact i can charge the phone in like an hour and half, and even quicker it seems when i use the PB charger.
    It's cool because i like to run my battery down to zero, so i like i can get my phone back in my hands quick. That and the Bold doesn't last as long as older BBs, so more charging is required.
    10-04-11 07:01 PM
    Smaller capacity = Faster charging

Bigger capacity = Slower charging.

Also newer technology in charger is also helping. (Rapid charge vs standard charge)
    Zudeo and nikolas4129 like this.
    10-04-11 07:04 PM
    My 9930 charges super fast I never had a phone that charged this fast! With a charger in my car and office no need for a extended battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-11 07:32 PM
    ok is it just mine, or do all Bold 9900s recharge super quick?
    I love the fact i can charge the phone in like an hour and half, and even quicker it seems when i use the PB charger.
    It's cool because i like to run my battery down to zero, so i like i can get my phone back in my hands quick. That and the Bold doesn't last as long as older BBs, so more charging is required.
    Becareful when your battery charges very fast. Assuming everthing remains the same, a battery that charges very fast also means it drain very fast and this could imply that you have a bad batch or your battery is getting weaker and weaker due to wear and tear.

Also, try not to drain the battery to the bottom... It damaging to the battery.

- Charles
    nikolas4129 likes this.
    10-04-11 11:05 PM
    Becareful when your battery charges very fast. Assuming everthing remains the same, a battery that charges very fast also means it drain very fast and this could imply that you have a bad batch or your battery is getting weaker and weaker due to wear and tear.

Also, try not to drain the battery to the bottom... It damaging to the battery.

- Charles
    i thought the chips in the battery protected it from really going to empty (ie it shuts down with say 5% left, but reads zero on the phone, something like the Chevy Volt car batteries). Also i thought the chip in the battery likewise protected it from overcharging.
    In any case, thank you for the advice, i will look into this further now and be more careful

on the note of getting one of the supposed bad battery batches, thanfully i don't seem to have one, as my battery lasts over a full day with light-moderate use. let's hope it stays that way!
    10-05-11 12:13 AM
    i thought the chips in the battery protected it from really going to empty (ie it shuts down with say 5% left, but reads zero on the phone, something like the Chevy Volt car batteries). Also i thought the chip in the battery likewise protected it from overcharging.
    In any case, thank you for the advice, i will look into this further now and be more careful

on the note of getting one of the supposed bad battery batches, thanfully i don't seem to have one, as my battery lasts over a full day with light-moderate use. let's hope it stays that way!
    Glad that you got a good battery. I think a lot of devices will protect from overcharging so you are ok with that.

However, there is another thing that is not good for your battery, which is fast charging. Using your Playbook charger, the device is rated at 1800mA while your standard BB phone charger is 700mA. This explains why your Playbook charger will charge your device much faster.

But overall, dont worry about it. Its not as if you are going to use your phone for the next 10 years right?

- Charles
    10-05-11 05:45 AM
    ...I normally find that my 9900 will charge, while connected to the wall socket, at around 1% per minute on average, then slowing down slightly for the last few %, which I remember reading somewhere is what it's supposed to do (?) It's pretty handy knowing that, being able to estimate roughly when it'll be back to 100%. Obviously it takes longer thru the USB / laptop, but I rarely do it that way.
    10-05-11 10:36 AM
    Also, try not to drain the battery to the bottom... It damaging to the battery
    Is that correct? I'm not doubting you, just checking. I always thought it was good to let the battery completely drain as it got rid of some sort of memory effect and made the battery last longer. Or is that knowledge from out of date Ericsson T32 (or whatever it was!) days and lithium batteries are different?
    10-05-11 10:45 AM
    Is that correct? I'm not doubting you, just checking. I always thought it was good to let the battery completely drain as it got rid of some sort of memory effect and made the battery last longer. Or is that knowledge from out of date Ericsson T32 (or whatever it was!) days and lithium batteries are different?
    Yes you are right. Li-On batteries virtually has no mem effect so no need to go through the last drop BUTTTTT its also suggested that you should once in a while (once every 2-3 months??) use the battery and drain it to say 20% and recharge it full again. Its just to recalibrate the timing...

- Charles
    10-07-11 05:45 AM
    yeah and it dies just as fast
    10-07-11 05:53 PM
    not sure..i've never used the charger it came with. I use my PlayBook charger to charge every microUSB device I own :P
    10-08-11 02:12 AM
    Same here! When I saw that RIM gave a BlackBerry Rapid phone charger as the PlayBook charger it was like Christmas for me. The PlayBook charger is on the frontlines of my microUSB charging army!
    10-10-11 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD