So it's a bank holiday weekend in the UK which means I have used my phone very little.

Since Friday night it has been basically on idle and when went to bed Sunday night the battery had 72% left.

When I woke up this morning the phone was dead !!!

Plugged it into PC and fortunately it began to charge and rebooted OK (phew !!!)

When I checked MeterBerry I found that on idle the 9900 had suddenly started to drain at 12% per hour on idle !!!

Running .428 and I have no apps installed other than MeterBerry so nothing running in the background and previously it was idling at 0.5% per hour for the past 50 hours.

Any thoughts people ???

EDIT

Just checked signal log and had a constant -77db (5 bars of 3G) throughout the period of heavy discharge so not a poor signal issue.
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 06-04-12 at 04:39 AM.
    06-04-12 04:33 AM
    Did you do anything to it before you went to bed Sunday?
    Get off the phone with anyone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-04-12 04:44 AM
    Did you do anything to it before you went to bed Sunday?
    Get off the phone with anyone?

Yeah, last thing I did was order a take away meal for supper about an hour before I went to bed, other than that, nothing.

Edit

Checked the call history and it shows that the call only lasted a matter of minutes so it did disconnect OK.
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 06-04-12 at 05:19 AM.
    06-04-12 04:49 AM
    Weird. I'm running .391 and the same thing has started happening to me.

I haven't installed any new apps. Previously it was idling around 2-2.5% but now its closer to 8-9%.

Wonder what's causing it.

06-04-12 05:14 AM
    Weird. I'm running .391 and the same thing has started happening to me.

I haven't installed any new apps. Previously it was idling around 2-2.5% but now its closer to 8-9%.

Wonder what's causing it.

Sure is strange as we are on different OS's.

Your .391 does not have the embedded IT policy unlike my .428 so we can't blame it on that.
    06-04-12 05:17 AM
    I have had this happen to me on various BlackBerrys. It happens rarely but it is very annoying when it does. I have never gotten to the bottom of this other than to note thet the battery gets warm - it's discharging rapidly - whilst this is happening.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    06-04-12 05:27 AM
    I have had this happen to me on various BlackBerrys. It happens rarely but it is very annoying when it does. I have never gotten to the bottom of this other than to note thet the battery gets warm - it's discharging rapidly - whilst this is happening.
    Did it happen to you as a "one off" on each device or did it keep happening ?

Unfortunately as it happened to me when I was asleep I can't say what the battery temp was as I don't have this logged on MeterBerry

As it is charging up now battery temp is 30c which is normal during charging.
    06-04-12 05:33 AM
    Just a thought, but what are your settings for Personalisation & Privacy?
    Options > Third Party Applications > Personalisation & Privacy > Collection of Usage Data
    Sunday night/Monday morning is a popular time for anonymous data collection, whilst the networks are quiet. Make sure it's set to Disabled.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    06-04-12 05:45 AM
    Just a thought, but what are your settings for Personalisation & Privacy?
    Options > Third Party Applications > Personalisation & Privacy > Collection of Usage Data
    Sunday night/Monday morning is a popular time for anonymous data collection, whilst the networks are quiet. Make sure it's set to Disabled.
    Hi Phill

Checked the setting as sugested, it is set to disabled so this was not the problem.

Thanks for the input.
    06-04-12 05:58 AM
    Did it happen to you as a "one off" on each device or did it keep happening ?

Unfortunately as it happened to me when I was asleep I can't say what the battery temp was as I don't have this logged on MeterBerry

As it is charging up now battery temp is 30c which is normal during charging.
    It only happened rarely, once a year maybe. It did happen once overnight but now I use auto on/off to prevent this happening.

I really cannot throw much more light on this I am afraid. I just know that I do not like it when it happens - obviously.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    06-04-12 06:10 AM
    UPDATE

Charged from zero to 99+ in 2 hours.

Just done a battery pull, will pop back on the charger for an hour and then see what we have.

Dropped 15% on battery pull which is much more that usual, maybe it's the battery that has developed a fault ??

Another thought, maybe MeterBerry is causing the issue, will delete and reinstall and see what happens.

Will report further later.
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 06-04-12 at 06:27 AM.
    06-04-12 06:10 AM
    Hi Phill

Checked the setting as sugested, it is set to disabled so this was not the problem.

Thanks for the input.

Same here. Thanks.

06-04-12 08:04 AM
    OK

So I charged to 100%, uninstalled MeterBerry, reinstalled it, charged back to 100%.

Now off charge 1 hour 15 mins and still sitting at 100%.

Seems as though whatever the issue was I have sorted it out.

Would still appreciate any feedback from you all on what the original issue may have been.

Thanks Guys.
    06-04-12 08:31 AM
    I had this problem to. But the app Viber did cause this problem. It was running in the background all the time.
    06-04-12 08:44 AM
    I had this problem to. But the app Viber did cause this problem. It was running in the background all the time.
    I have no apps other than MeterBerry installed and the phone had been idling at 0.5% for 50 hours prior to the huge increase in drain.

Nothing to run in the background and the last call had disconnected. No change to any settings or any other use of the phone. Happened when I was in bed asleep.
    06-04-12 08:48 AM
    My Bold 9900 with .402 was going down the same road until I found out the reasons:

1- I was using Meterberry auto restart option. For some reason this drained more battery power than it was suppose to solve by doing the restart, so I stopped using the auto restart option by Meterberry or Restart Me or any other app likewise. I still use Meterberry for reports and battery meter icon.

2- I began using Memory Cleaner (This app comes by default in Blackberry software) and turned it ON by default. I have it set to auto clean every 10 minutes after the device goes idle. You can choose your time option.

By doing the above steps, my battery is now much better when device is idle.
    06-04-12 09:53 AM
    My Bold 9900 with .402 was going down the same road until I found out the reasons:

1- I was using Meterberry auto restart option. For some reason this drained more battery power than it was suppose to solve by doing the restart, so I stopped using the auto restart option by Meterberry or Restart Me or any other app likewise. I still use Meterberry for reports and battery meter icon.

2- I began using Memory Cleaner (This app comes by default in Blackberry software) and turned it ON by default. I have it set to auto clean every 10 minutes after the device goes idle. You can choose your time option.

By doing the above steps, my battery is now much better when device is idle.
    Thanks, but I do not use the MeterBerry auto restart option or any other such app and already have Memory Cleaner set up.

The event I suffered was I hope a "one off" as 99% of the time my Bold will idle away happily at under 1%.

I was just trying to get to the bottom of why it suddenly went to 12% when i was asleep and the phone wasn't touched !!!
    06-04-12 10:03 AM
    I've had this happen a few times on my 9900 and even my 9780. I never figured it out, because it wasn't reproducible. Just once in a while the battery would run down very quickly, for no apparent reason. Where I'd usually have 40% left when I put it on the charger at night (with the 9780), once in a while it would be dead by 4 pm, with no unusual usage.

Sorry I can't help with a solution.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    06-04-12 11:29 AM
    I've had this happen a few times on my 9900 and even my 9780. I never figured it out, because it wasn't reproducible. Just once in a while the battery would run down very quickly, for no apparent reason. Where I'd usually have 40% left when I put it on the charger at night (with the 9780), once in a while it would be dead by 4 pm, with no unusual usage.

Sorry I can't help with a solution.
    Thanks.

It's increasingly sounding as though it is a random event. Currently all is well with my 9900 after a full charge and battery pull.

Seems like something in the OS just triggers it off it's self and that once the phone runs out of juice and re starts it's back to normal.

If it's happened to you on both OS6 and OS7 devices i'll just put it down to yet another BB quirk !!!
    06-04-12 11:39 AM
    Welcome to the club! I have been posting about this sort of intermittent, unexplainable drain for a while. It has kept on happening to me on OS .342, with rapid idle drain on Wifi sometimes as well. Various ideas are discussed throughout the thread here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...esting-712600/

and

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...el-bug-726602/

For what it's worth, this morning I had a 7% hourly drain rate on Wifi, without hardly touching the phone. I used my browser briefly (a few minutes), then closed it. The browser process took 5% CPU during that period, according to Device Analyzer. A few hours later, the browser took 3% CPU and my drain rate was 3% per hour. That was with zero browser use. During comparable periods in the past, I had a 2% drain rate and the browser didn't even show up in the top apps, with CPU use below 0.5%. Other times, I get a 10%+ hourly drain rate, and no apps have above 1% CPU according to Device Analyzer.

There are some demons in the OS, and I suspect this strange browser behavior isn't the only one. My leading theory is now that native processes (browser and others) don't often close cleanly, or have threads that fail and chew up battery. Sometimes, these don't get reported to Device Analyzer.

I don't suspect the battery itself, since I find this behavior very erratic.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    06-04-12 12:52 PM
    OK

So I charged to 100%, uninstalled MeterBerry, reinstalled it, charged back to 100%.

Now off charge 1 hour 15 mins and still sitting at 100%.

Seems as though whatever the issue was I have sorted it out.

Would still appreciate any feedback from you all on what the original issue may have been.

Thanks Guys.

Tried this. Works perfectly. Sitting on a discharge rate of 1.4%. Hopefully the problem is solved.

06-04-12 08:27 PM
    Tried this. Works perfectly. Sitting on a discharge rate of 1.4%. Hopefully the problem is solved.

24 hours on and mine too has settled back into idling at 0.6%.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    06-05-12 04:23 AM
    You say you ordered a take away just before you went to bed/put the phone away.

I have personally come across a rare (and very annoying) scenario where the infrared sensor (the one next to the flashing LED) would glitch and stay on.
    If you turn the lights off in the room you are in and make a call, you should see the infrared sensor flash really fast. This sensor tries to detect the proximity of your face/ear so that the touch screen switches itself off during a phone call.

The problem arises where you end a call but the sensor does not switch off and instead keeps 'sensing'. i.e., it does not turn off which in turn causes a lot of battery drain.

I'm not saying this was the cause of *your* drain but I have definitely seen it happen and it definitely kills the battery fast.

06-05-12 05:45 PM
    Hello Bolds
    Although its really too late, i think i have found the solution to the battery drain problem in bold 9900 and i think it is enabling the options "Media card support" and "Compression".
    plz lemme know if i am wrong and would be thankful if u give the reason
    10-29-13 04:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD