Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default stolen bold 9900, what should i buy next

Guys,
    Last night my bold 9900 got stolen while i was trying out some clothes at the mall, i'm not exactly sure if it was a pick-pocket-er or if it fell but it doesn't matter as the phone was gone from the dressing room when I returned 10 minutes later. I already filed a complaint at the police station, in a matter of days they will get the recordings from the security cameras, but chances are very low that i'll ever see that phone again, and I already reported it to RIM, maybe tomorrow they will block it's PIN and as I understand this is irreversible ( in case I do recover my phone )

I get my subscription from the company I work for but I have to buy my own device. They offer me a fixed subsidy from full price on a number of devices, I narrowed down my options as follows :

1. A new bold 9900 for the price of 416$ USD
    2. A new Galaxy S III for the price of 387$ USD

I do love the bold 9900 the physical keyboard and the way all messaging and communication is integrated, all the security, but this is outrageous. After being stolen from by a thief now i'm feeling ripped off by rim. I don't understand why this phone is more expensive than one of the best phones out there, hardware and software wise. I would really love to get another bb9900 but paying more than for an SIII ? Comeone....
    I already had some frustrations with the bold, for example I travel a lot and there's no map app for the bold where you can download the map locally.I used to get great maps on my nokia E72 for free, and downloadable by country and continents. Android gets iGo which is brilliant. It's out of the question to use google maps with data services while roaming. I had to go back to paper maps like 10 years ago.
    I'm not much of an app user (only used facebook, flashlight, messenger and tons of email and sms on the bold ), but there are a few quite useful ones that I wish I had, another example would be the Viper Alarm app that is on the iOS and Android. On the BBOS it's out of date and it doesen't work on 9900. My bank has an app for iOS and Android but no BBOS.

Now for the S3, I hate typing on a screen and the S3 feels like constantly slipping from my hands, too narrow to type with two hands, too big to type with one hand. I'm affraid messaging will not be as good as with the bold and i'm not sure i will use all the multimedia and application potential, and I constantly miss letters when typing, typing is a pain.

To make things better, I also have a playbook that integrates nicely with the bold but not with the S3.
    Waiting for BB10 is not an option, where I live it will be available with a delay of at least 3-4 months.
    What would you do?

The price you pay for a 9900 is set by the seller, not by RIM so you might find a better deal by looking around. Another option might be to look at a cheaper model or a used device to cover essential needs until the new BB range launches, then review your options again.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask for it ;)

Go with what your heart says I'd personally get bold because on the qwerty keybored its fab for typing and grate for emails I've had android and can never get used to one I had android for 7 month and just can't get rid of blackberry my heart says blackberry's a must have ano this may not help atall or much but that's my opinion I'm verry sorry for your blackberry loss
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

If you really love RIM, get a cheaper RIM model to continuie service. The new BB10 devices will be out in only weeks now.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,959 Global Posts

At this point, hold out for a new BB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I bought a 9650 on EBay for $85. It's a little annoying at times but will tide me over until N10.

Global Posts
    32,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Definitely try to find a good used device, they are out there and a lot better than the subsidized price for a new Bold that is about to be superseded, anyway.
    Report Button, not just for the bad things!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Bacon is duct tape for food!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

get the S3

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Shouldnt you be able to locate your phone by the Blackberry Protect??
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

My bold was on BES & BIS => no Protect. This is kind of stupid
    I found a 8520 around the office and set it up for now, kind of crappy but it works. I will wait another 2 weeks to see how the reviews are for the new N (i think i need a keyboard). If they're bad, or it's way too expensive i'll buy the 9900 again, if they're good i'll have to wait another 3-4 months till it'll be available here. Also, the guy removed the sim immediately and consequently the device got wiped when he inserted another sim so Protect wouldn't have helped anyway.
    Last edited by Nbold9900; 01-09-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Buy what you think that the best is ...
    CrackBerry Genius

The bold 9900 on ebay are going for 220-250 I believe
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,574 Global Posts

Buy yourself a hand cuff and chain your next device to it so you don't have to worry about it being stolen, nor would you have to ask people what device to buy next because you would still have your BB attached your wrist!