Hi

We use Blackberry Bold 9900's as our company mobile phones and we have recently purchased a new wireless solution for the office.

We have 6 available SSID's in the building and our Bold's don't show the available SSID's all the time, they will show a couple for a brief moment then when it searches for available SSID's again it will show a different amount of SSID's and the ones previously listed will disappear. They continually show our previous Netgear routers so this issue is solely on our new SonicPoints.

SonicWALL are trying to palm me off saying it is a Blackberry issue and the device must not conform to the "802.11n draft 2" networking standards. I have tried Googling what standards it meets but I cannot find anything.

Does anyone know? Help point me in the right direction?

As mentioned the Bold's and the Netgear's work fine, the Bold even connects successfully to the SonicPoints if it can see the SSID at the time but it soon drops the connection.

All laptops and mobile devices are working fine apart from the Blackberrys.

So my main question is regarding what networking standard the Bold uses and my other question is has anyone seen anything similar?

All devices are running 7.1.0 Bundle 2061 which I believe is the latest one and I cannot see any additional network drivers for instance.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    08-14-13 07:36 AM
    Sounds like it may be a known issue for SonicPoints, try doing a google search something along the lines of "SonicPoints Routers and BB 9900"
    08-14-13 08:27 AM
    If you can get to the WiFi logs on the bold, see if it's blacklisting your connection attempts. We're using a WEP encrypted network where I work, and I started having problems at some update point. Either 7.0 or 7.1, someplace around there.

BlackBerry is very fussy about its WiFi connections. It likely is the device. My old Torch, my Z10 and my PlayBook are the only devices in the department that has a problem. I'd love to see a resolution that doesn't include changing the network settings. They're not going to do that for just me.

What security protocol are you using? The only times I've had problems with my WPA home network is if the phone tries to connect on approach to the house when the signal is still relatively weak. I can get a warning that it has limited internet service, at which point I have to disconnect and reconnect once the signal is coming in more clearly. It will not correct itself.
    08-14-13 08:33 AM
    Thanks for the responses

I have tried that and similar Google searches all to no avail.

How do I go about accessing the Blackberry logs?

Security wise I am currently using WPA2-AUTO-PSK, none of the SSID's that I have successfully connected to and saved are set to automatically connect so I manually try and connect once the signal is good inside the building.

I have even tried setting the SonicPoints to be open (no security) and the SSID's still appear and disappear. We were having the same issue with the iPhones however changing some settings like un-checking "Enable Aggregation" on the SonicPoint fixed this.

I have tried every different setting I can think of on the router.

Like I said with my old Netgear on I should see 8 SSID's however only the 2 SSID's from the Netgear are displayed as available all the time and then the SonicPoint SSID's show/disappear at every refresh, it is like a lottery to which SSID will successfully appear.

Cheers
    08-14-13 09:03 AM
    Hi

I have narrowed the issue down to the beacon interval setting on the SonicPoint, if enable only one SonicPoint (We have 4) and set the beacon interval to 100 the Blackberrys work fine.

I have contacted SonicWALL with this and I am waiting for them to respond, no doubt I will be fobbed off again.

Cheers for everyone's input.

08-15-13 04:43 AM
    Darn. Another network based solution. I'm glad to see you got it working, though. Does it continue to work after turning on your other SonicPoints? Does changing the Inter-Access point Handover setting on the Bolds make any difference?
    08-15-13 06:23 AM