I have a Sprint 9930. I will be flying to Val Thorens in France and would like to use my BB.

Can I just purchase a pre-paid sim card for the phone, slot it in and make/receive phone calls? If so, whats a good prepaid sim card I can purchase here in the states so I can have a phone as soon as I land.

I am only going for a week so I don't need an enormous amount of minutes.

Thank you for any help
    01-01-12 05:06 PM
    You need to have your 9930 unlocked and you can get a pre-paid sim in many places in France like drugstores and "Tabac" (where they sell cigarettes). I use pre-paid Orange in my old 8900 and use my 9930 for emails only but no data on pre-paid...
    01-01-12 07:51 PM
    The sprint 9930 should come unlocked. Atleast mine did.

So you just put in the foreign sim card; be near Wifi though. It'll ask you to login to BlackBerry ID the first time you boot with a new card.
    01-01-12 07:59 PM
    Before deparitng confirm everything with Sprint BB reps.
    Clear your all doubts about charges if any, and also check calling charges in france.
    01-01-12 09:40 PM
    The sprint 9930 should come unlocked. Atleast mine did.

So you just put in the foreign sim card; be near Wifi though. It'll ask you to login to BlackBerry ID the first time you boot with a new card.
    I agree with the above. I had a 9900 traveling to Nepal and all it needed was a BB enabled SIM card or access to wifi so you can activate your phone with your BlackBerry ID. Otherwise, it will force a security wipe of contacts and other data.
    01-01-12 10:27 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Just got off the phone with sprint. If you guys are interested in prices its $1.29/min for calls, $.019/kb for data, $.50 for outgoing messages, $.05 for incoming. I can also get unlimited intl data for $40 a month and that includes BBM. Since I'm only going for a week it would be prorated, so I would be paying $1.33 a day.

I was told I need a 128k sim card and then it would work. I like how pretty much every prepaid sim card allows free incoming calls from anywhere in the world, which is what I will be using it for. Now i just need to find the cheapest sim card.
    01-02-12 03:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD