I am slightly confused, can someone explain to me please what the difference:

1.2 GHz Processor, 768 MB RAM and 8GB

I do know the 1.2 Ghz is the speed, but does that mean the messages will be saved on the 8GB or the 768?

If I am not mistaken, applications now are stored on the RAM of the 9780 which is 512...

Can someone please verify... thanks!
    05-02-11 10:15 AM
    We can't be completely certain about that just yet, it might simply be for storing media like in the past or it might also be for storage of apps and their data this time round.
    05-02-11 10:31 AM
    8GB of storage for apps would be AWESOME!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    05-02-11 10:32 AM
    I am slightly confused, can someone explain to me please what the difference:

1.2 GHz Processor, 768 MB RAM and 8GB

I do know the 1.2 Ghz is the speed, but does that mean the messages will be saved on the 8GB or the 768?

If I am not mistaken, applications now are stored on the RAM of the 9780 which is 512...

Can someone please verify... thanks!
    Messages are never stored on the RAM. They are always in the internal memory which in this case is the 8gb.

Older devices used to have 512ram and 512 internal memory which is why people thought messages and apps... etc were stored in the ram. Which they are not.

RAM is cleared when a device restarts, its only temporary memory as opposed to proper storage. So, that means we will have 8gb for app storage as well!!!!

amazing!

If I have helped anyone, Please feel free to hit the thanks button! Thanks!
    lma13, jlb21, mrbdh8 and 4 others like this.
    05-02-11 11:02 AM
    Messages are never stored on the RAM. They are always in the internal memory which in this case is the 8gb.

Older devices used to have 512ram and 512 internal memory which is why people thought messages and apps... etc were stored in the ram. Which they are not.

RAM is cleared when a device restarts, its only temporary memory as opposed to proper storage. So, that means we will have 8gb for app storage as well!!!!

amazing!

If I have helped anyone, Please feel free to hit the thanks button! Thanks!

Unfortunately doesn't look like its the case.

05-02-11 11:18 AM
    :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
    05-02-11 11:26 AM
    what!! looks like we may still have the 512 cap on applications
    05-02-11 11:30 AM
    I knew it was too good to be true... but why... WHY!!!
    05-02-11 11:32 AM
    It looks to me like 768mb RAM split between the cpu and gpu

512mb application storage (OS and applications)
    256mb graphics memory

8gb on-board memory (for media storage)
    mssca and AbuYazeedUK like this.
    05-02-11 11:48 AM
    seems so, so with all preinstalled stuff we can expect 206mb free storage for apps it seems
    05-02-11 11:53 AM
    But at least with 8gb of on board mem for media, that pushes my total to 24 when you include the 16gb card I will port over.....
    05-02-11 12:28 PM
    Unfortunately doesn't look like its the case.

Wonder if this could change with a future software update?
    05-02-11 12:33 PM
    Wonder if this could change with a future software update?
    I doubt it... memory is hardware and can't be expanded by software
    05-02-11 12:39 PM
    Don't forget that it will still be running the current stream of apps from App World so 8GB for apps is not needed. A few hundred MB's of space is plenty.

Come QNX though, sure... it is likely these new apps will require more space ala PlayBook. I'm betting these new phones wont be QNX or OS 8 compatible (hope I'm wrong)... unless QNX/OS8 is a complete re-write of the device which would allow app installs on the 8GB memory.
    05-02-11 03:53 PM
    But at least with 8gb of on board mem for media, that pushes my total to 24 when you include the 16gb card I will port over.....
    The 8gb of "on board mem" is via a card, just like the 16gb. You will have to remove the 8 to install the 16. Hate to burst your bubble.
    05-02-11 11:16 PM
    @MayorHaji

"768 MB RAM; 8 GB on-board memory, plus microSD slot supporting up to 32 GB cards"

Are you sure it is on a card?
    05-03-11 01:29 AM
    The 8gb of "on board mem" is via a card, just like the 16gb. You will have to remove the 8 to install the 16. Hate to burst your bubble.
    I don't think that is correct. On-board memory is NOT the same as removable memory.

The Bold 9000 had 1GB on-board memory for media storage, and I believe the 9900/9930 has the same... only more

05-03-11 05:09 AM
    I don't think that is correct. On-board memory is NOT the same as removable memory.

The Bold 9000 had 1GB on-board memory for media storage, and I believe the 9900/9930 has the same... only more

Indeed you are correct Phill...the Bold touch as far as im aware will have 8gb of space for media ie videos, photos and songs etc etc....its a shame that its not 8gb across the board ie for everything including apps etc.

Saying that, watching the videos from bb world...im getting pretty orgasmic over this device...definitely my next BB thats for sure...will go great with my playbook that ive just bought as well.
    05-03-11 06:15 AM
    well, its still the beta version and all that, we dont know anything for sure
    lets assume we indeed get about 210mb app storage, i didnt understand it at first, that even tho the bold 9900/9930 has 256 mb ram more than the 9780, that it has less/the same amount of app storage as the 9780, but someone explained it to me

im just curious if we're down to lets say 10-20mb free app storage, if OS 7 still runs so amazingly smooth and all that without any hard lags

maybe kevin could ask them more about the 768mb ram, ask them why we "only" have about 210mb free app storage, or if thats just a beta-thing and it'll change when being released
    and maybe even ask them what kind of performance they experienced when you're running low on free app storage, still as smooth and all that?

and i saw in kevins 13min+ 9900/9930 video that the LED went on, its hard to tell from a video, pple said its like the torch LED, but i've never seen that before
    so maybe you could tell us how it was? was it bright enough? just as good as the 9700 led? or worse?
    Last edited by Seijuro; 05-03-11 at 06:48 AM.
    05-03-11 06:43 AM
    and i saw in kevins 13min+ 9900/9930 video that the LED went on, its hard to tell from a video, pple said its like the torch LED, but i've never seen that before
    so maybe you could tell us how it was? was it bright enough? just as good as the 9700 led? or worse?
    Well having owned the torch myself a few mths ago till i sold it and went back to the 9780...i wasnt that impressed with the torch's led....it was far too small and just not bright enough...even though i have the full version of bebuzz, which helped somewhat but still wasnt that great in all honesty.

So in a nutshell no the 9800 led is and wasnt as good as the 9700/9780 led...shame that they had to use such a small led in the Bold touch.
    05-03-11 07:11 AM
    You are dead WRONG. On board mem is a chip on the main circuit board and it is NOT removal. Also, I learned that RIM has the ability to release an OS that will use on board memory for some core applications rather than installing the core applications on the apps memory. I hope they do that because I also think that the memory for the apps are too small.

Idk why RIM doesn't get it. It is not just the phone anymore that decide if your company will be successful or not, but also third party apps. If RIM reduce the number of apps I can have on their phones, then customers like me will walk away from them.

I also hope that there will be no manufacturing defects like 9780. 9780 is one of the worst quality controlled phones ever made by RIM!
    05-03-11 09:56 AM
    Well having owned the torch myself a few mths ago till i sold it and went back to the 9780...i wasnt that impressed with the torch's led....it was far too small and just not bright enough...even though i have the full version of bebuzz, which helped somewhat but still wasnt that great in all honesty.

So in a nutshell no the 9800 led is and wasnt as good as the 9700/9780 led...shame that they had to use such a small led in the Bold touch.
    so it is THAT bad, eh? : /
    05-03-11 10:00 AM
    Damnit RIM! It does no good to support OpenGL 3D graphics and only give app/game developers 200 MB of app space to fight over, that you can't even use all of that without degrading device performance. RAM is cheap, throw in more of it if you need it!
    05-04-11 09:34 AM
    insufficient memory again?
    05-04-11 09:58 AM

Idk why RIM doesn't get it. It is not just the phone anymore that decide if your company will be successful or not, but also third party apps. If RIM reduce the number of apps I can have on their phones, then customers like me will walk away from them.
    I sort of agree with you. I've been dying to get the 9000 form factor, with today's hardware, in a NEW BB device and FINALLY we are getting it, minus one very important aspect.

If this is truly the next 'flagship' device, how can it only have 200mb for apps? The 'RAM' as RIM is choosing to call it, is being used far differently than the RAM in the IP4 or GalaxyS, it's being used as flash memory also. Of course device performance will be affected if you install too many applications, how can it not? Your basically reducing the amount of available RAM for the CPU to use every time you install an app! Throw 30 or 40 apps on there, and open several full size webpages, and I already know whats going to happen...

I really REALLY hope we're all wrong, and at the last minute RIM will include app storage in their onboard memory. It only makes sense, why choke out that 1.2ghz processor? Who cares about 8gigs of onboard media memory, just buy 2 or 3 16gig sd cards and flip music, pictures and video in and out of your device as your wish. I'm really on the fence about this device now, and I really wanted to love it!
    05-07-11 03:25 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD