I feel so torn inside.....as has become normal for BB.. another new device..yet it feels the same.

Yes it looks good, wonderful keyboard, good having the touch screen, faster.... but unfortunatley its still the same.. sigh.....the same boring interface that goes back how many years? Yes some will argue that the iphone has had the same interface for years as well, and yes thats correct even though I'm not a huge fan of ios either, at least you can do a lot more with it.

+1 to rim for FINALLY improving the build quality and materials of the handset.

wow us RIM.. please wow us soon.
    08-25-11 06:41 AM
    If you care so much, get a new theme. The interface doesn't need improving, it's fine as it is, and even so, it HAS changed.
    dtrue05 likes this.
    08-25-11 06:44 AM
    I think its a big improvement all around but I also don't think RIM went far enough like you said same old stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    HD123 and debest74 like this.
    08-25-11 07:01 AM
    What did you expect?

I am NOT looking forward to QNX on our RIM phones but I know it will come next year. Hope they do better than they did on the Playbook. It almost put them out of business!
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-25-11 07:38 AM
    Ok I've been hearing "It's the same device" over and over again. Why is it such a sin for a blackberry to be similar to it's predecessors but, it's a-ok for the Iphone? Take an honest look at and Iphone 4 and the first Iphone. The OS looks uncanningly the same and the device only got a face lift with the Iphone 4. The BlackBerry OS may look and work the same as older verisons but like IOS it has changes for the better. And cometically the BlackBerry is always having face lifts when I new one is released.

Point being don't bash a phone or it's OS when the so called "Best Phone Ever" is doing the same thing.

08-25-11 07:44 AM
    Well remember OS 7 was originally called OS 6.1.It was never meant to be considered revolutionary,just evolutionary.

08-25-11 07:47 AM
    I wasn't expecting a big change. If they changed the interface too much it wouldn't be a blackberry and on my next upgrade I may well be back to android.
    I like the way my 9780 works, if it aint broken, dont fix it.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-25-11 07:56 AM
    Same crap, different day. It's ok for Apple to spit out the same UI every year, but BlackBerry gets crushed for it.

Getting really tired of this nonsense.
    08-25-11 08:19 AM
    Actually, until IOS 5, you actually can not do a lot more on IOS than on RIM's system. However, the fact that IOS has such a huge app store does swing things a bit in their favor. Overall though, other than the camera, I much prefer BlackBerry.
    08-25-11 08:23 AM
    I understand your point OP. I think it's a matter of balance. It would be easier to accept the same UI if the device offered more of the popular functions that it's competition (ALL competition, not just the iphone) offered. My work Torch didn't really feel all the different to me then my very first blackberry which was the curve back in like 2006 or 2007. My personal iphone 4 (with the exception of appearance and the retina display) also wasn't much different then my iphone 3g however the phone offers enough that it really doesn't bother me much.

The problem is that anyone who dares expect anything above and beyond the norm from RIM is typically shut down as a whiner or complainer. If I was RIM I don't think I'd be too concerned with upping my game if the majority of my users couldn't care less. Why waste my time and money. At the end of the day, the consumer holds the power. If your disappointed, the easiest way to make that point is to get a different device. If your not, keep it.
    HD123 likes this.
    08-25-11 08:37 AM
    Ok I've been hearing "It's the same device" over and over again. Why is it such a sin for a blackberry to be similar to it's predecessors but, it's a-ok for the Iphone? Take an honest look at and Iphone 4 and the first Iphone. The OS looks uncanningly the same and the device only got a face lift with the Iphone 4. The BlackBerry OS may look and work the same as older verisons but like IOS it has changes for the better. And cometically the BlackBerry is always having face lifts when I new one is released.

Point being don't bash a phone or it's OS when the so called "Best Phone Ever" is doing the same thing.

Same crap, different day. It's ok for Apple to spit out the same UI every year, but BlackBerry gets crushed for it.

iPhone.

kthxbai
    I totally get what you all are saying, and I agree these threads are getting old. You are right, for the most part not a lot has changed from both devices, but there is one huge difference. The iPhones OS has never been it's weak spot. Not in the same manner as BlackBerry. You've never had an iPhone release with horrible buggy firmware. You don't have to pull the battery(can't) or force a hard reset on the iPhone like you've had to do with BlackBerry's over the years, nor had the spinning clock.

Like it or not, the BlackBerry OS has always been RIM's achilles heel and will be until QNX on handhelds is released. So while the OS might be ok for you or I, it's not for many and that is why RIM is switching it's platform to QNX.

I agree 110% that these threads are old, trust me I want to close them all. But in fairness we're comparing to OS's, one with many issues in stability and one with little so the comparison while equal to an extent is hard to compare when one is clearly ahead of the other technically speaking. I hope you get the point I'm trying to convey. I'm not bashing anyone, just looking at things with an open mind and trying to be fair.
    08-25-11 08:41 AM
    UI is fine. It works. It's so much faster now too. It was never the UI or OS that was holding BlackBerries back, it was the hardware.

Unfortunately now everyone expects phones to have widgets and live wallpapers, etc etc rather than a clean interface which BBOS has always had. I'll take true notifications over flashiness any day. Unfortunately the consumer wants more, which RIM should recognize obviously, but I'm just speaking for me personally.
    08-25-11 08:46 AM
    Some people are never happy. What more do some people want a device to do? The only thing that drives me nuts is releasing something that is buggy and not 100% user ready....other than that I am so happy to have such a device to make my life easier and more manageable.
    08-25-11 08:49 AM
    I've got a "Boldner"
    08-25-11 08:53 AM
    I myself decided not to get the 9900 and just stuck with my 9780. Perhaps, ill wait until the new ones come out next year. Besides, my 9780 is still doing more than enough job for me (speed wise as well). The hardware upgrade definitely is great but around 40% of what the OP said, was what i was feeling a couple of weeks ago.

Needless to say, good job for RIM though, but i personally think should have been the blackberry a year ago. That however does not convert me to anything else. Still a blackberry user, and will be!
    08-25-11 08:54 AM
    I bought it BECAUSE it is mostly the same but FASTER!
    08-25-11 09:01 AM
    I felt the same way you did.

Then I changed my wallpaper and now I feel better
    08-25-11 09:02 AM
    Tiny screen...going blind. Torch 9810 or Iphone 5.

08-25-11 09:08 AM
    Tiny screen...going blind. Torch 9810 or Iphone 5.

The 9900 has a tiny screen?

So what would you say if you used the 9700 or 9780 or Curve? Now THAT is tiny my friend
    08-25-11 09:17 AM
    Canadians don't do wow I'm afraid

Unlike us Scots that is........
    HD123 likes this.
    08-25-11 09:31 AM
    The problem is that anyone who dares expect anything above and beyond the norm from RIM is typically shut down as a whiner or complainer. If I was RIM I don't think I'd be too concerned with upping my game if the majority of my users couldn't care less. Why waste my time and money. At the end of the day, the consumer holds the power. If your disappointed, the easiest way to make that point is to get a different device. If your not, keep it.
    exactly... couldn't have said it better myself... Unfortunately due to BB's ridiculously cheap int'l data plan I have to have one for work.. otherwise im quite happy with my android and iphone. Same goes for anyone else I know. I have noticed something interesting however. I have noticed more and more business users sick and tired and throwing away their bb's but seeing a huge jump in bb's in the hands of teens and young adults. Since BB has always called itself the business device I am going to keep an eye on what they due in the coming months.
    08-25-11 10:31 AM
    Seems like poor research on your part OP

08-25-11 10:35 AM
    I feel so torn inside.....as has become normal for BB.. another new device..yet it feels the same.

Yes it looks good, wonderful keyboard, good having the touch screen, faster.... but unfortunatley its still the same.. sigh.....the same boring interface that goes back how many years? Yes some will argue that the iphone has had the same interface for years as well, and yes thats correct even though I'm not a huge fan of ios either, at least you can do a lot more with it.

+1 to rim for FINALLY improving the build quality and materials of the handset.

What exactly do you want RIM to do? The darn thing has a touchscreen! Yes, the UI is similar but that's what makes it a BlackBerry. Have you noticed that HTC has the SenseUI and Samsung have TouchWiz? These are their signature UIs that set them apart from others and make them HTC, Samsung, BlackBerry.

And let's not forget that the 9930 is a BlackBerry - it's meant to work. I left IOS and android because there was too much customization (and usless apps/games). Personally, I just want a phone that works, works well and works fast.

You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
    08-25-11 10:49 AM

Yes thats correct, why are you so confused by this. BB deserves to get crushed for it and the huge loss in market share speaks for itself.

My comment below is not directed specifically to you, I dont want to single you out alone, because there are others on this post and in other posts and forums who are quick to turn threads into silly debates. I dont know if its because these forums have filled up with pre pubescent teens or what but as many people have also mentioned SOME OF US are getting tired of being ragged on by blind fanboys just for stating our opinions and even facts. The whole point of forums is to discuss, interact and exchange ideas. As I mentioned in the OP, im not a huge ios fanboy but the reason no one asks for major changes is because its on another level compared to blackberry OS. Its a fact that there are dosens of things that you can do with ios, android and even now windows phone that you cant on an all-mighty BB. And dont bring up games, because I dont play games on my mobiles so I couldn't care less about them or the millions of them in app stores. I myself used to have over a hundred and somewhat contacts on BBM, now that number has come down to under 50. You have seen the market statistics yourselves. BB market share is shrinking - FAST. So you fanboys are the ones who should keep your opinions to yourselves, not the rest of us who live in the real world.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-25-11 10:49 AM
    What exactly do you want RIM to do? The darn thing has a touchscreen! Yes, the UI is similar but that's what makes it a BlackBerry. Have you noticed that HTC has the SenseUI and Samsung have TouchWiz? These are their signature UIs that set them apart from others and make them HTC, Samsung, BlackBerry.

And let's not forget that the 9930 is a BlackBerry - it's meant to work. I left IOS and android because there was too much customization (and usless apps/games). Personally, I just want a phone that works, works well and works fast.

You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
    Im glad that you are happy and prefer the BB, each to his own. I dont know what you are referring to in regards useless app/games/customization on android, maybe those things were put there by your carrier because my incredible S is wonderful and came clean without any apps or games. Therefore i am not complaining for the sake of complaining. Android and ios come clean and ready to work. It seems you are the one complaining for the sake of complaining.
    08-25-11 10:55 AM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD