So ive been finding so many great things about my new 9900 but i was wondering what everyone thought where the bad things (if any) were

i think for me itd be that now im always worried about scuffing up that amazing screen
    03-12-12 02:29 PM
    Well i don't have any cons about it though. It have all the things i need right now and it gets my job done.
    And for the screen getting scuffed up get yourself an screen protector. The same goes for every phone.
    03-12-12 02:31 PM
    So ive been finding so many great things about my new 9900 but i was wondering what everyone thought where the bad things (if any) were

i think for me itd be that now im always worried about scuffing up that amazing screen

For me the cons are:
    1. Crappy camera. (if comparing to iPhone)
    2. Limited assortment of apps. (again when comparing to iOS)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-12-12 02:34 PM
    Some of the bad things about Bold 99xx and BlackBerry in general I found;
    -Java based OS have several flaws such as memory management issues, rebooting the phone every time install or uninstall an app, JVM errors, etc.
    -The screen is not durable on Bold 99xx when compared to other current phones in the market.
    -No more bricking issues, but this is the second time RIM dropped the ball. I lost trust in RIM because of it. First they lost the battle when try to push out their very first touch and storm back in the days. Now they dropped the ball again.
    -It is hit and miss when it comes to receiving a good phone vs. a bad low quality hardware phone. During first week I had exchange my phone several times due to hardware defects.
    -F@ki8ng hate the stupid camera. I use this phone as a smartphone not a dumb phone. With this type of low quality cameras and hardware, RIM should ask under $300 for the phone NOT over $500 Canadian for outright buy.

One other thing... people said they had bad battery life; but after the OS 7.1 upgrade I am impressed with the battery life.

I hope RIM will get their act together before they release the BB10s. Hopefully most Android apps also will support BB10 platform.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 03-12-12 at 02:42 PM.
    03-12-12 02:40 PM
    Since the OS update my battery life issues have been solved so the only thing I'm slightly disappointed with is the camera. Thankful for my Nikon for important pics & I guess that's how it should be.
    03-12-12 03:19 PM
    Cons.
    Camera,
    Small screen(For some)
    It's not an iPhone(For some)
    It has buttons(For some)
    It doesn't have an Apple on the back(For some)
    AugustArborists likes this.
    03-12-12 03:22 PM
    Lol its funny that everything is about apple and I crap, you know what, BBs to me are more high end than apple will ever be. The Iphone is an ugly brick that has the same platform as that of an ipod. The bold 9900 is beautifully designed, more sturdy than the iphone and most other phones, it is extremely light and with 7.1 the battery is outstanding. Personally I can't say there are any cons besides the lack of autofocus which is the only annoying aspect in my opinion.

But for me knowing that it lacked the amazing camera capabilities that some other phones out there have, I still opted to buy it instead of the galaxy nexus and the Iphone 4s last month, and I am in LOVE with it with no regrets, it also beautifully compliments my playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    joski likes this.
    03-12-12 04:06 PM
    App selection,
    Camera,
    Battery life
    are the most common cons.
    03-12-12 04:12 PM
    I've had no problems with my screen, 8 months of use so far with no scratches, no case or screen cover and it spends as much time in my pocket as in the holster.

The screen size could be bigger but for the size of the device and what I use it for that's not a factor. There are no particular apps I feel like I'm missing (unlike my PB!)

The camera is weak; you can take good pictures but it requires more effort than on previous models.

One thing I do miss from my 9800 is the touch-screen dial pad for the phone. They could have implemented the same thing on the 99xx models but for some reason that was left out; dialing on the keyboard can be a pain.
    03-12-12 04:39 PM

The new Bold is much more defined than other BlackBerry's and functions very well! The speed is awesome along with a great keyboard. As far as negatives go there is the lack of themes and probably the biggest complaint is some are having battery issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-12-12 05:08 PM
    I've have read anything short of grinding sand into your screen won't touch it. Been going caseless for months without the slightest indication of a scratch. As far as the bricking issue goes, since the release of 7.1 on most carriers the issue seems to have stopped. Enjoy the h*ll out of your Bold, I am even after 7 months!
    03-12-12 05:41 PM
    Not compatible with many embedded videos, including some on this Blackberry website. I have mentioned it before and it is my main complaint and deal breaker.
    03-13-12 02:45 AM
    DUST!!!! I had dust under my screen just after a week. It's been just over a month now and the dust keeps accumulating!!!
    03-13-12 02:57 AM
    DUST!!!! I had dust under my screen just after a week. It's been just over a month now and the dust keeps accumulating!!!
    wow.. i thought they would have learned after the pearl and curve..

anyway.. the biggest con is that this phone, coming from other platforms, feels like a serious step BACK into dinosaur ages.

- Camera: Are you kidding me? No autofocus? Haven't seen that since the first iPhone.
    - Battery: For a 3G phone, this thing is dreadful.
    - Development: Non-existent. The app selection is awful and the quality is abysmal compared to other platforms. Take the Kik app for instance. They're not being given the right tools by RIM to make it so they can integrate with the notification bar instead of getting a stupid popup every time you get a message. WTH? Is RIM TRYING to lose devs?
    - Customization: Non-existent too. Where's the theme builder?! That's the only saving grace when it comes to customization. Even then you still have to rely on designers. Can't move stuff around yourself.
    - Build quality: Hit or miss.

I can't say I'm regretting my purchase because I love the messaging aspect, but all I can say is I'm glad I didn't peg myself with a 2 year contract for this phone.
    03-13-12 03:55 AM
    I took time to purchase 99x0, I have been eavesdropping on 99X0 forum for some times. I have well understood cons of 99x0 and took time to purchase it.

My 9900 serves my purpose well for what It was intended.
    I wish RIM released some better battery solution for 99x0
    03-13-12 04:22 AM
    I find it funny that a lot of the cons for people are non-issues for me:

Camera - I don't really take all that many photos with my smartphone. I didn't take many when I had an Android with a better camera. Lack of autofocus doesn't faze me for that same reason. Any pictures I take are likely going to be uploaded to Facebook where the pictures are resized and dumbed down anyway, or they'll stay on my phone where they look fine there anyway. If I want to take real photos, I'll use a real camera.

Battery - it's all relative, isn't it? This is my first BlackBerry and as such I never got to experience the so-called awesome battery life of previous versions. I had an Xperia Arc, where I was getting about 10%/hour battery loss, depending on usage. So to come to the 9900 and get 24 hours on a charge, I was ecstatic! The fact is, the 99X0 is a thinner BB, and with that comes a few sacrifices, the biggest of which is battery size. Auto-focus was lost because of this as well. You'd have to be stupid to not realize that putting a smaller battery in a more powerful phone would result in lower battery life overall compared to older, bigger versions.

Overall, I find the phone to be everything I want and more in a smartphone. I'm obviously part of the minority, but I don't need access to millions of apps to be happy. I've got my banking app, my ebay app, my Facebook app and BBM and some games, and I'm a happy camper. I'm not always after more, and generally, when I've tried to be that person, I've downloaded loads of apps that just sit there and don't get used and eat at my battery. Make the phone yours, and if the 99X0 is not suiting your needs, go find a phone that does

JB
    nickbettschen likes this.
    03-13-12 07:30 AM
    Cons:

1) Awful battery life when compared to other BlackBerries (I used to have a 9700)
    2) Awful camera, no autofocus...
    3) I don't really care for apps, but if that's a necessity for you, get an iPhone
    4) Build quality varies... On some phones, everything is perfect, on others, some buttons are loose, screen has a strange hue, etc.
    5) Not a sturdy phone... Drop the 9900 face down onto anything, the screen is done, much like the first iPhones.
    6) No 4G from CDMA carriers
    7) Left convenience key is gone

That's pretty much all I can think of for now.

Bobby
    03-13-12 09:44 AM
    Cons:

1) Awful battery life when compared to other BlackBerries (I used to have a 9700)

2) Awful camera, no autofocus...

3) I don't really care for apps, but if that's a necessity for you, get an iPhone

4) Build quality varies... On some phones, everything is perfect, on others, some buttons are loose, screen has a strange hue, etc.

5) Not a sturdy phone... Drop the 9900 face down onto anything, the screen is done, much like the first iPhones.

6) No 4G from CDMA carriers

7) Left convenience key is gone

That's pretty much all I can think of for now.

Bobby

You're making me wanna put my screen protector back on!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-13-12 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD