What are they? Why do they exist? What is the use for them?

The reason I ask is because I am seeing more and more things regarding 'smart cards', and I don't know what they are? I have tried searching but have found pretty inadequate results - perhaps because some stuff here doesn't apply to me as a UK Vodafone customer.

Also, when I am backing up my phone on Desktop Manager, the backup stops for about 6-7 minutes on 'smart card(s)'. I don't even know what these are, so why is it taking so long to back up?

Thanks for any help.
    09-25-11 06:13 PM
    smart cards are id's that have a special chip built on/in it. the chip is visible and is about as big as a penny, except its square. that chip has information on it that can be read by a simple card reader that is usually built into a keyboard (you probably wont find it at your local computer store or walmart). US Soldiers id's are smart cards (DOD), they use them to log into their computers. I dont know what this would have to do with a blackberry though.

Did you steal a sensitive device? if so you should definately leave that phone alone! you can catch some serious jail time... military jail time
    09-25-11 06:52 PM
    oh, and there is a device you can buy that plugs into the blackberry, looks like a case, that has a slot on the back of it for sed smart card. Wipe the device completely and reinstall OS.
    09-25-11 06:54 PM
    smart cards are id's that have a special chip built on/in it. the chip is visible and is about as big as a penny, except its square. that chip has information on it that can be read by a simple card reader that is usually built into a keyboard (you probably wont find it at your local computer store or walmart). US Soldiers id's are smart cards (DOD), they use them to log into their computers. I dont know what this would have to do with a blackberry though.

Did you steal a sensitive device? if so you should definately leave that phone alone! you can catch some serious jail time... military jail time

Ha ha ha sorry - my mistake! I meant Smart Tags!

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold 9900 wireless device
    09-27-11 05:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD