Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    29BBE965
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is Skype coming to Blackberry?

In 2009 there were rumors that Skype would be available for the Blackberry. We are now in 2012, any news about Skype coming to BB?
    CrackBerry Genius

No..... It is well documented that there are currently not plans for Skype on the BB platform.....
    CrackBerry Genius

It will come. Eventually. Just relax. If not a native software, it will be a third party one, or even one that RIM will write itself.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,445 Global Posts

Verizon customers already have it as part of the VZW bloatware. It's voice-only, and can only be used when on the mobile network in the United States.
    Palm Treo 700P, 755P, Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Bold 9930, Samsung Galaxy S3, Z10, Q10, Z10, LG G3, Z10 and now Z30, all on Big Red.
    Nook Color w/CM7.2, iPad2, Nook Color w/CM10.1.3, Dell Venue 8 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Kameleon047 View Post
    In 2009 there were rumors that Skype would be available for the Blackberry. We are now in 2012, any news about Skype coming to BB?
    Skype is now owned by Microsoft and any new mobile versions are likely to be seen as a strong selling point for the upcoming WinPhone. It seems unlikely that new Skype clients will become available for competing platforms unless someone holds the Skype developers' families at gunpoint.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me..

The chance that skype will come to BBos is slim to none..there is simply no business case to support development for current devices.

But think about what you NEED. If you want skype chat you can have it, if you want cheap voip you can have it.. so its not a huge burden.

Quote Originally Posted by masterscarhead1 View Post
    It will come. Eventually. Just relax. If not a native software, it will be a third party one, or even one that RIM will write itself.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Well viber have said they are releasing for BB os's soon , thats a good voice call alternative , lets see how long they will take to release it
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,656 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask

Ive had Skype on my Verizon Bold 9930 from day 1. And I had it on my 9650 and 9530/50 before that.
    ~SaMaster14
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    32,933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
    Ive had Skype on my Verizon Bold 9930 from day 1. And I had it on my 9650 and 9530/50 before that.
    One must be a VZW customer to have Skype in the US. And it cannot be used for overseas calls

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,656 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    One must be a VZW customer to have Skype in the US. And it cannot be used for overseas calls

I know. Just saying that there is a version out there. So it's definitely possible.
    ~SaMaster14
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    32,933 Global Posts

The exclusive deal with VZW and Skype happened before VZW had the. IPhone and before Microsoft bought Skype. It was actually done since VZW was afraid of losing customers to AT&T due to the iPhone.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

I have no need for Skype voice in the US unless it can be used to make ultra-cheap or free international calls. I already have unlimited calls included in my monthly plan with Sprint. Why would I need a version of Skype on my BlackBerry like the one Verizon has?
    CrackBerry Genius

Argh. Change the thread title!

*edit*Thank you.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 04-22-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN

i have skype on my bold 9900 on 3 uk network and it works very well