This might be a stupid set of questions, since it's my first time switching from an old Blackberry (torch) to a new one, but here we go:

1) Can I use my old SIM from the Torch, or does the 9900 require a new SIM so that it can access higher speeds on the network?

2) If I do use a new SIM, but my Blackberry ID is the same, are there any implications for accessing my gmail, and shawmail accounts with BIS.

3) I'm unsure as to whether I should use DM, Blackberry Protect, or some other method to safely transfer info from old to new. IE: How do I get my BBM contacts from one to the other?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice provided

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 12:32 PM
    This might be a stupid set of questions, since it's my first time switching from an old Blackberry (torch) to a new one, but here we go:

1) Can I use my old SIM from the Torch, or does the 9900 require a new SIM so that it can access higher speeds on the network?

2) If I do use a new SIM, but my Blackberry ID is the same, are there any implications for accessing my gmail, and shawmail accounts with BIS.

3) I'm unsure as to whether I should use DM, Blackberry Protect, or some other method to safely transfer info from old to new. IE: How do I get my BBM contacts from one to the other?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice provided

1. Your old SIM will work fine, and has nothing to do with speed of network. Incidentally, if it is a REALLY old SIM - over 5 years - you may want to upgrade it as some technical aspects have changed on new SIMS. But otherwise it will be fine.

2. SIM cards make no difference, it is your Blackberry ID that counts. Your email accounts will work just fine after you make the transfer device switch through BB Desktop and register the new phone to BB.

3. Lots of threads on this. Some warning of dire consequences using BB Desktop Manager and others saying nothing to worry about and let device switch take care of everything. Consensus seems to be that it is safest to let Device Switch do everything except Apps and get those through App world direct onto your new device. They will all be listed as available and won't cost you anything to download on your new device. But expect lots of doom merchants warning the sky will fall in if you do this!
    08-24-11 12:46 PM
    Thanks SIMSIM100!

08-24-11 12:55 PM
    1. Your old SIM will work fine, and has nothing to do with speed of network. Incidentally, if it is a REALLY old SIM - over 5 years - you may want to upgrade it as some technical aspects have changed on new SIMS. But otherwise it will be fine.

2. SIM cards make no difference, it is your Blackberry ID that counts. Your email accounts will work just fine after you make the transfer device switch through BB Desktop and register the new phone to BB.

3. Lots of threads on this. Some warning of dire consequences using BB Desktop Manager and others saying nothing to worry about and let device switch take care of everything. Consensus seems to be that it is safest to let Device Switch do everything except Apps and get those through App world direct onto your new device. They will all be listed as available and won't cost you anything to download on your new device. But expect lots of doom merchants warning the sky will fall in if you do this!
    thanks for the patience to type this voluminous explanation.
    08-24-11 04:38 PM
    I agree with all that posted here by simsim1000 ...
    just another small detail... if your new Blackberry BOLD 9900 is from other carrier then the carrier of your SIM card you will need to unlock your device to make it SIM free to work with your SIM (otherwise it won't get signal).
    08-24-11 08:28 PM
    Thanks all. Last question please as I don't want to screw up the new phone. I know these questions are somewhat idiotic...so appreciate the patience and help.

I've backed up my torch on DM. Will DM allow me to do a device switch based on last torch backup odr o I need to link up my torch, then choose device switch, and then remove and switch SIM and mem card.

Thanks

08-24-11 09:05 PM
    i have just purchased the 9900 and it worked just fine until i travelled and had to change my sim card which also has data services active. as soon as i put in my new sim card the phone asked me for my Blackberry i.d which i entered correctly but it refused to accept my password. Any idea how i can bypass this step without having to wipe my data?
    08-27-11 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD