sound during photo shoot...In my Bold 9000 isn't possible to silence this! In the new Bold is possible to silence this? (obviously I don't have new bold )

08-15-11 05:48 AM
    Unless you buy a third party app (which I am not sure if one exists yet), you cannot natively. I believe there are regulations that specify that it needs to make a noise when taking a picture.

Why does everyone wanna take silent pictures? lol
    08-15-11 05:51 AM
    Nope... not without a 3rd party app. Same with any other phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 05:52 AM
    Unless you buy a third party app (which I am not sure if one exists yet), you cannot natively. I believe there are regulations that specify that it needs to make a noise when taking a picture.

Why does everyone wanna take silent pictures? lol
    simple... in my bold 9000, the suond is a "fake reflex shutter sound"! It's orrible!
    I would have preferred a simple beep!
    08-15-11 05:57 AM
    Good point!

As long as something in the OS will not interfere with developers making such an application that will mute the sound, then it shouldn't be too long until an application is developed.

simple... in my bold 9000, the suond is a "fake reflex shutter sound"! It's orrible!
    I would have preferred a simple beep!
    08-15-11 06:30 AM
    There are plenty of apps that should already work... QuickLaunch is one of them.

brava27 likes this.
    08-15-11 06:43 AM
    Silent pictures are always the best pictures...(said in creepy voice)...
    08-15-11 07:00 AM
    There are plenty of apps that should already work... QuickLaunch is one of them.

I apologize if this has been answered/addressed again since this post, but I'm having a **** of a time searching the forum from my phone.

Anyway, I've used QuickLaunch forever, and the camera mute was great. I cannot seem to find the thread on which apps do/don't work, but no matter how manu times I toggle the QLmute, it does not silence that obnoxious shutter sound.

If I am overlooking the answer or if anyone can direct me to that topic, I t-d be great!
    08-21-11 07:11 AM
    Rim removed the camera mute capability in os 6
    08-21-11 03:57 PM
    Nope... not without a 3rd party app. Same with any other phone.

With the iPhone, if you turn the phone on silent (vibrate) there is no shutter noise.

Would be nice to do the same with the new Bold...that sound is horrendous.
    08-21-11 04:25 PM
    Just flush the toilet right when you take the picture to hide the sound!
    08-21-11 04:30 PM
    i think there is a law or something to require it so that creepy men cant "accidentally" take secret picutres
    08-21-11 05:17 PM
    CameraMuteApp used to work on OS 6 9700, 9650 & 9780. But it doesn't work on my 9900.
    08-21-11 05:25 PM
    Yet another stupid quirk that should have had a solution long ago. You really can't turn off the noise? Come on, that's lame. Just like there's reasons to silence your ringer, there are reasons to silence other features too. That's just ridiculous.

And for reference, shutter noise isn't necessary, it's just there so there is a more tactile response - just like how you can turn on click noises for an iPhone keyboard; you're not really pressing keys, they're virtual, it just adds to a more personable experience with your phone.
    08-21-11 05:29 PM
    Camera Phone Predator Alert Act - Requires any mobile phone containing a digital camera to sound a tone whenever a photograph is taken with the camera's phone. Prohibits such a phone from being equipped with a means of disabling or silencing the tone. Treats the requirement as a consumer product safety standard and requires enforcement by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
    Camera Phone Predator Alert Act
    Another good read about the law by ABC: Should Silent Camera Phones Be Illegal?

NOTE: I posted this as reference and for added information about the topic. The links above and it's content do not represent my thoughts or options on the topic.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 08-21-11 at 05:43 PM.
    moiselles likes this.
    08-21-11 05:33 PM
    ... doesn't look like anything is going on with that.
    08-21-11 05:39 PM
    FYI, there is no law requiring a camera phone to make noise. There is a proposed bill which fortunately has not passed. RIM and other manufacturers just do it to placate legislators.
    08-21-11 05:40 PM
    I wouldn't mind a silent camera feature just because there are so many freakish people on the New York subway that I'd love to take photos of to put on Facebook. On a related note, I won't make the same mistake last time I tried to film this bats**t crazy lady on the seat opposite me...as soon as I hit record, the led flashlight came on and shone right in her eye. Not a problem if you don't mind getting off the train 3 stops early of course, lol....
    FigureThisOut and maybedb like this.
    08-21-11 05:42 PM

I heard people bringing up that QL has the option, but where is it? I can't find it for the life of me..

And one of the reasons as to why anyone would need a silent camera, an example is when my cousin had his white coat ceremony... It was informed that everyone was to put their phones on silent and I ended up not taking any pictures because of the annoying loud noise it makes.. I took a video just fine because big surprise.. That makes no noise.

Why try to pass a bill where the camera picture being silent would be illegal yet the video camera seems like it could be used more creepily (you can easily take a picture from a video etc. if really needed) but a video in of itself is more creepy then a picture.. I don't know, I'm just sick of this whole deal with the annoying picture noise
    08-21-11 05:52 PM
    Just flush the toilet right when you take the picture to hide the sound!
    Ahh greg, I'm afraid the Nuns are on to that trick...they quickly cover up when they hear the toilet flush now

08-21-11 05:57 PM
    Just plug a headset in... job done!
    08-21-11 05:58 PM
    I like that it makes a sound. Keep creepy guys from taking pictures up my skirt.
    08-21-11 05:59 PM
    Couldn't we find the sound file that plays and get rid of it? Or replace with an empty sound file? maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out.
    08-21-11 06:02 PM
    I like that it makes a sound. Keep creepy guys from taking pictures up my skirt.
    Whats to keep them from turning the video camera on and doing that though..? I'd rather the video camera make a beep noise turning on and not the camera.. A video camera could be much "creepier" than a normal camera and yet it makes NO sound at all..
    08-21-11 06:04 PM
    Whats to keep them from turning the video camera on and doing that though..? I'd rather the video camera make a beep noise turning on and not the camera.. A video camera could be much "creepier" than a normal camera and yet it makes NO sound at all..
    I was totally kidding, by the way...
    lewisc1979 likes this.
    08-21-11 06:06 PM
126 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD