When I'm at home and connected to the Wifi I usually knock my Signal down to 2G. I don't see the point of having 3G and the Wifi connected.

But, when I'm at work, or out and about, with no Wifi, is it better for my battery life if i use 3G or the 2G & 3G signal?

Thanks
    04-17-12 02:50 AM
    There is no way to know. The expected life quoted for 3G is often slightly lower than 2G, suggesting higher loading - but in real use it will depend more how you use the phone, and the radio conditions (signal quality) you find.

As an example, at my home I have a "gap filler" 3G-only antenna about 150m away and the main 2G mast is about 1.5 miles. That means my phone gets better 3G and runs at lower power (less battery drain) than if it is using the 2G service. However.... that only makes a practical difference when transmitting the cellular radio, and the difference in standby is probably not significant. In real use I find it is better to leave the phone on auto 2G/3G and avoid the nuisance of dropping signal when I hit a hole in one signal or the other.
    04-17-12 04:20 AM
    I find that the 3G/2G option is a real battery drainer.

Either use 3G only or 2G only when I'm out and about.

Wifi always on at home with 3G Idles at under 1%

IMO even a weak 3G signal uses less juice that the constant searching for the best possible signal with the 2G/3G option.
    04-17-12 07:29 AM
    I don't care about battery drain, because that's never been a problem for me. What I do care about is a continuous network connection wherever I go, and the ONLY option that can guarantee this is 2G/3G... nuff said
    04-17-12 07:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD