I got a Bold 9900 yesterday and during the OS update something strange happened.
    I got OS 7.1 onto the device but then all the apps I had downloaded were missing. I'm guessing this is because I probably made a mistake somewhere in regards to app transferring or whatever. But on top of that App World and Password Keeper were missing as well. I was able to download app world, but can't seem to get password keeper again. I'm sorry if this is too long. TLDR; at the end.

But the bigger issues were these: When I opened up BBM it showed a little box with my BBM groups, I had no idea what was going on and couldn't back out of it. Every time I opened BBM I only got those boxes. I finally just clicked on one of the groups and a message read, "Event added" and then returned to the box with my BBM groups. I did a battery pull, but no success, same thing. I then upgraded BBM, which seemed to fix it. But my friends were now telling me that my personal calendar had appeared in both of the groups' events. But the groups didn't even appear on my BBM anymore. I had to delete every one of my events because I didn't want everyone seeing my entire schedule, they then told me they couldn't see the events anymore. I was able to be added back into one of the groups even though it said i was still in it. I was not able to get back into the other one, even though it says I'm still in it.

Issue 2: None of my emails are coming through. I have a school and personal email that seemed to be working fine before the OS update. Now, I am not receiving any emails on my bold 9900. I've tried a battery pull, but that only seems to make things worse (I'll explain later). I go into the setup wizard to maybe redo my emails, but when the two options of "Internet Mail Account" and "Enterprise Account" show up, I can't click "internet mail account,' and can only choose "enterprise account." Sometimes I'm not even given the option and it goes straight to enterprise account. Other times, I'll click on Email Accounts in the setup wizard and nothing happens.

Issue 3: on my Bold 9780 I had a separate folder for apps that I download. I did the same thing with the same apps on my bold 9900. After a battery pull however, all the apps are back on the homescreen and I can't move them back into that folder. It doesn't show up as an option after "Move to folder."

In regards to missing Password Keeper, I read that I should connect to DM, and restore the apps or something. I've tried this twice, and made sure password keeper and everything else was selected. But every time I perform a recovery, it always goes back to the way it was when I first updated the OS, and I have to redownload all my apps, delete all my calendar events (because of the bbm groups problem) and then I'm back to square one. I'm thinking that sorta makes sense since it would recover back to the point when I backed it up, so this is my fault. But I still have no idea how to get Password Keeper back.

Please help! Should I perform a device wipe and just start all over? Get all my BBM contacts back manually, reenter all my emails, basically just start all over? Or should I return the Bold and get a new one? Please don't make me get an iphone...

TLDR; Updated OS to 7.1, Calendar events get uploaded to bbm groups, app world missing, password keeper missing, emails not working, battery pull makes things worse, should i exchange or perform device wipe and start over from scratch?

Thanks for any advice! If you read all of this, I praise your patience.
    04-03-12 08:49 PM
    I'd try a wipe and clean install before I got a different device. The issues seem to be coming from restoring the apps and settings, so I suspect you would have the same problems when switching to another device.

I think I had the same e-mail issue you did (#2 of your post). I think I didn't click to install the e-mail setup app during a re-install. I wiped and re-installed it and made sure I clicked it that time (my fault, I just missed it the first time around.)

I used BBSAK to wipe and App Loader to install; it was about as straight-forward as you can get.
    04-03-12 09:40 PM
    Thanks, I'll take a look into those.

And apologies for the double thread - I don't know what happened there.
    04-03-12 10:09 PM
    This sounds like an OS or some kind of an app issue. I would take the phone to the service provider and they would be able to check what's going on. I think you may have screwed up the initial setup of the phone. When loading the new OS, DO NOT restore data from back up and see if it fixes things. If not, the best option is to get help from the service provider.

To MODS: Please lock this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ew-one-714054/
    04-03-12 10:09 PM
    It's probably a device switch issue. Easy fix too. Java wipe and reload the latest OS, performing a selective restore, only restoring what is really needed (see below). It's not a hardware or carrier related issue. Getting another device at this juncture will only give the same results.

Start with a wipe/reload of ONLY the OS. When I say "wipe", I mean wipe to NO OS. Restore the data later starting with one app's data at a time. 1st thing after the reload would be to setup the e-mail accounts, then BBM etc...
    04-03-12 10:23 PM
    Thanks for the responses! What I'm getting is that I should try a wipe and NOT restore from a backup, rather try and restore individual app's?

I hope I'm understanding this properly. I don't really care about anything else at this point, I just don't want to have to re-add all my bbm contacts/groups and I want my email to work properly. If I were to backup ONLY my bbm contacts/groups and nothing else and then do a security wipe of "Emails, Contact, etc." and "User Installed Applications" and then try reinstalling the OS, and then restoring my bbm contacts - would that work? Maybe I just won't update the OS after the wipe and keep whatever it came with and restore my bbm contacts only and add my emails etc like I have before.

If that doesn't sound right, I think I'm just going to take it back to the Telus store I got it from and ask them to take a look at it.

Thanks again for your help!
    04-04-12 12:53 AM
    Not a security wipe, but a full blown wipe- meaning your device will be useless UNTIL you install the OS onto the device. Once the new OS is installed, it is the same as using a refurbished phone; the hardware doesn't change but the OS is fresh and new.

From here, you can restore your essential items (contacts, calendar, email, BBM) and then re-install your apps fresh from the App Store (which you won't need to purchase again, just use your BBID).

The concern some have shown with switching devices is that when you try to restore to the new device, it will give you the same results.
    04-04-12 01:12 AM
    I think I'm going to take your advice and use BBSAK. Unfortunately I'm on a mac, but I will take out my old windows laptop to download BBSAK and then do a full wipe. Is there any way that I can do this without using BBSAK, or would that be the easiest way?

Also, would it be okay if i took out my sim card during all of this so i can put it in my old bb? I just want to be able to pick up calls etc, during however long this takes.

sorry about all the questions, i appreciate everyone's help so much!
    04-04-12 01:24 AM
    Success! Thank you all very much!
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    04-04-12 03:32 PM
    Sorry I didn't get back to you! SWAMPED all day but very glad you got it working again
    04-04-12 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD