So here's the thing; I've had my Torch for awhile now and recently it broke. It had great hardware but what bugged me the most was how unsmooth and slow the software it. I really don't wanna get stuck with a slow unsmooth phone for three years, so I was wondering if BlackBerry has resolved that in the 9900. Those are top priorities.
    02-11-12 08:25 AM
    The Torch 9800 on OS 6 was fine although it did have the issues you mentioned. The OS7 devices are different beasts. The 9900 is snappy, fast and very well made. I feel you would be happy about the purchase. Still I suggest you go to a store and play with one before you decide.
    02-11-12 08:29 AM
    I have had the 9800 but now I have both the 9810 and the 9900. Both are running the most current official AT&T OS 7. The slider on the 9810 is very solid. The keyboard on the 9900 is larger and the keys have more of a fluid feel but having had smaller bar form berries, it was not a deal breaker for a PHONE. The 9810 has the edge in screen real estate, the ability to browse in portrait or landscape and has an AF camera. The 9900 has NFC feature and no AF camera. The 9810 retains the streamlined feel of the bar form but is obviously thicker as it is a slider. The 9900 is a bit wider than most berry bar form factor phone but is thinner. You need to go into a store and try one for yourself. It is all a matter of personal preference.
    02-11-12 08:49 AM
    my last device was a torch 9800 and the 9930 feels so much faster. u wont be disappointed.
    02-11-12 08:51 AM
    buy NOKIA 3310,
    its very snappy.
    operations are perfromed as soon as button is released after pressing it...
    02-11-12 10:09 AM
    I upgraded from the Torch 9800 and got a Bold 9900 just last night.

OS 7 is definitely smoother and snappier however there is still the similar lag when downloading and installing apps. On the plus side, the internet browser and GPS are miles ahead of the 9800 which definitely is a relief.

The 9900 is thinner and lighter than the 9800, a nice change. The screen is sharper but also smaller which will take some getting used to. I have 3 tablets: a ipad2, Samsung Tab 7" and a 64gb playbook so if I want a larger screen I can use one of those.

The big thing for me to upgrade was the awesome physical keyboard on the 9900, smoother OS and also the wifi hotspot in OS 7.1 so I can share internet with my choice of tablet wherever I am.

Overall, the form factor definitely is a personal choice. I love the 9900's compact form, smooth OS and incredible keyboard so I am glad I chose it. When I want to read a ebook or play games or do extensive browsing, I have my choice of tablet, when I want to stay connected & communicate efficiently I have my 9900 - for me that's the best of both worlds.

Let us know what you decide!
    02-11-12 11:30 AM
    Rather than start a new thread, I will just post here. In about 30 minutes, I am going to upgrade to the 9900. If it all works out, the phone will be free, plus I get $100 from RIM for upgrading. I am REALLY looking forward to getting it.
    02-11-12 11:36 AM
    I have the 9900 and it is the best BB I have owned. Definitely go to a store and hold and use one for a while first. I doubt you would be disappointed with the OS iteration though.
    02-11-12 01:56 PM
    The newer phones are much faster. 9900 is such a great phone. I love mine. Only time the phone is slow is when I am installing apps. Other than that I can run many apps at the same time and the phone is still very snappy. Also remember you should have a week or two with most carriers to try the phone and see if you like it before you keep it. Good Luck!!
    02-11-12 02:34 PM
    OS6 phones compared to the OS7 phones hmmmpff it's a huge leap forwards when,
    you talk about smoothyness and snappyness lol no match.
    if are concerned about it, go to a shop and play with it, then you can have a idea how,
    it works like. i'm sure you would like it no doubt about it.
    02-11-12 04:20 PM
    So thanks to everyone I have decided on the Bold. Now I just need to decide; Black or White? The market of phones these days allows for so many choices! Lol!
    02-11-12 04:26 PM
    hahah that's your own personal preference, but i gotta say blackk!
    goodluck with your choice, don't hesitate too much about it.
    choose your color wisely.
    02-11-12 04:29 PM
    Its so hard! When I got the 9300 in black, I then wanted white. But then I got the 9800 in white, but liked it better in black! Lolol.I will take my time to decide this time.
    02-11-12 04:32 PM
    hahah yeah it's your mind that is playing hard, just take your time picking a color.
    or get both when you can haha!
    i was sure there was also a *show your blackberry 9900 thread* with blackberry's from
    the members, you could check it out to make it easier for you.
    02-11-12 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD