I have been a BlackBerry user all my life. For both work and personal use. I have only had two major problems in my life with using a blackberry smartphone. Each problem was fixed and I was up and working again in no time. (posting this using my BlackBerry PlayBook) I'm in love with the Bold line of smartphones, and I really want the 9900 this weekend. I have been reading so much online that has been scaring me just a little, so I really need to know, should I do it or not? Please help!!
    02-22-12 09:09 PM
    YES do it. your decision though can try to push yourself to buy it.
    you can always stay hesitating but you won't help yourself by doing it that way.
    go with the flow and make your decision wisely.
    02-22-12 09:12 PM
    What is scaring you.....

One of the pitfalls of any forum is that people naturally are quick to post any issues about their devices.... If enough of them post problems about the phone you are looking ot buy it sounds like the phone in question is terrible...

Any device can have problems ... as a consumer check what return policy the company you wish to buy from has.... I purchased an extended warranty on my 9800..... any issues outside of physical damage in the three years they replace the phone.... Most people when shopping are blinded by the experience..... Be prepared and ask the right questions... how much after sales support does the store provide.... what is the return policy if any... do they have a lemon policy where after a certain number of incidents they will replace the unit.... This way if something does happen... you are covered....

One nice thing about this forum is many people report how good their phones are and that is refreshing... I would get a 9900 in a heart beat but I have two more years on my contract... so I gues I wil be going BB10.....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 02-22-12 at 09:29 PM.
    02-22-12 09:19 PM
    Oh the age old question, that really hasn't been around for that long. Here is my opinion.

I have had 6 blackberry's. They have come a long, that is for sure. I feel that this phone, the 9900, is the best phone they have developed, unfortunately it came out after the Torch, and The Torch was a major downfall. It was their attempt to mix touch and keyboard. If I am not mistaken their first touch screen phone. Why? Because Iphone did and that is what people want. With this downfall the decision to choose Iphone over BB seemed clearer for many at the time. Businesses choose to stick with Blackberry and many still do. All companies seem to be following Apple in one respect or another.

I however have had 2 warranty problems out of this, and my 5 month BB 9900 is having connection issues on the phone side.

The apps are phenomenal and continue to develop at a great rate. They listen to consumers and give positive results. All of Apples products seems to work well. They are leading in ideas. I don't know if having BBM and the keyboard alone is going to keep me on. I will miss the BBM, and will get used to the keyboard.

They sure aren't pushing anything new, other then the Dingleberry deal with joining the Android market. Although that was not them, and they are trying to stop it. But even Android market and BB app world combined arn't likely near Iphone's market.

Yes RIM's network is secure, but that is nothing that worries me.

Iphone does use more data, and has a shorter battery life then my Bold 9900. Warranty for Iphone, just walk into one of the superstores, and get it replaced.

I hope my plug stays ok until it's near my warranty. I am going to wait, and see if Apple releases any new phones, and also to see what RIM's next big move will be with the new Thorsten Heins, CEO. He sure does not seem to promise anything, and yes I know he just started. The commercials show nothing new with the phone, and only illustrate people having fun.

I love my Bold, but ya know what? Big deal. Your going to get a new phone, and between the 3, your not going to hate either of them. There are positives an negative to both companies products. Who knows...I hear Microsoft is wanting to make a big new purchase....perhaps RIM?

Thanks.
    02-22-12 09:51 PM
    I have been a BlackBerry user all my life. For both work and personal use. I have only had two major problems in my life with using a blackberry smartphone. Each problem was fixed and I was up and working again in no time. (posting this using my BlackBerry PlayBook) I'm in love with the Bold line of smartphones, and I really want the 9900 this weekend. I have been reading so much online that has been scaring me just a little, so I really need to know, should I do it or not? Please help!!
    I my self was bit scared to buy 9900. But I got it and I am loving it. Yes it has very bad battery life and RIM seems doing nothing for it except some software tweaks. But I am sure RIM will work on it too. Before you buy � Ask for new delivery lot, new BB has no problem of nuking/bricking. Once purchased try charging it overnight for few days, so if some problem persist it will be replaced. Try nuking and loading some leak or latest OS, this will clear if it will nuke in future. .. I did so, and nothing bad so far.
    02-22-12 11:50 PM
    You should buy it ! Like many others said, you will love it. I personnally paid the whole 550 $ for mine, and I don't regret it. I also use an Iphone 4. With the inprovements made with Os 2.0, it's'really a whole new dimension that is being exploited on both 9900 and the Playbook.

As I am writing this post from my 9900 keyboard, while bridged to my PB. It's'really amazing. My answer to your question, go get yourself that 9900 and start living the 2.0 experience !

So far, for me no problems with the recent upgrade to Os 2.0. Only a little glitch regarding setting my e-mail. But all is good now.
    02-23-12 12:44 AM
    I have used a lot of phones on several platforms and the 9900 is one of the best. I am also using the leaked 7.1 software and the battery life is just fine. Not as good as the 9780 but then again I don't recall any phone that lasts as long as the 9780. The keyboard is the best of any phone I have used. Take the plunge you will not regret it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 01:44 AM
    I just moved from 9780 to a 9900 last evening. The 1st thing I did when I received the 9900 was upgrade the OS from older .5xx to 7.1.0.267 and then upgrading the Apps via the new AppWorld. At last, I restored my data using Desktop Software switch and I am loving every bit of this biggie BOLD. Its made really well and its fast. Much faster than my previous BB. I'm glad I took this move towards 9900.
    02-23-12 05:38 AM
    I upgraded from a bold 9000 so it's night and day for me. I upgraded so I could bridge to my PB and Bell let me do it for 100$ even though my contract was not over yet. I have never even downloaded an app before getting this phone ...

Battery is less that is true but manageable, glad to not have to deal with the ball like on the 9000 and I like the large screen and keyboard. I would not have changed for smaller and when I saw it looked almost the same as the 9000, I went for it.

I got the white one and it's turned out to be a conversation piece
    Last edited by grimm59; 02-23-12 at 06:16 AM.
    02-23-12 06:13 AM
    Right now I use a 9700...

I'm considering a 9900, but, the I'm concerned about photo quality because of the 9900's lack of autofocus...

I suspect I will also miss the 2nd convenience button...

I also use UMA 90% of the time and I'm still not sure if 9900 supports that...?
    02-23-12 06:44 AM
    Its a solid device and Rims best to date I would not hesitate on purchasing a new 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 06:58 AM
    Right now I use a 9700...

I'm considering a 9900, but, the I'm concerned about photo quality because of the 9900's lack of autofocus...

I suspect I will also miss the 2nd convenience button...

I also use UMA 90% of the time and I'm still not sure if 9900 supports that...?
    I also came from a 9700.

If your concern is photo quality, it would depend on the type of photos you take.

If you take macro or close-up photos, you will definitely be disappointed. But, if you do not take macro photos, you will be ok with the 9900.

I am happy with it so far.
    02-23-12 07:50 AM
    I've had a Pearl, a 9700, 9800 and now the 9900. best blackberry i've ever owned!!
    02-23-12 08:30 AM
    I hesitated getting Bold 9900 because of (what I perceived to be) its rather big size, no AF camera, battery issue, the nuked/bricked issue and the notion that the call volume is not as loud and clear at 9780's.

Have been using 9780 for a year and except for its rather small keypad, I have been very satisfied with it. But, my fingers definitely do not agree with me. My thumbs tend to hurt whenever I pressed the keypad. Maybe because the individual keys are slightly slanted.

Anyhow, after much trepidation, I traded my Bold 9780 for a White Bold 9900 and oh man...... What an amazing piece of device.

I love the screen, YouTube videos look vibrant, call volume is loud and clear, keypad is amazing, bla3. Does the lack of AF bother me? Well, to be honest, I don't really take pictures / photos with my Bold 9780 so I know that the lack of AF in Bold 9900 is not a big issue to me. Sure, it's a nice-to-have feature but since I don't really use it, I think I'll be okay with 9900.

Besides, I like to type things on my BB so I know that my thumbs are going to thank me for getting this 9900.

Anyhow, to cut the rather unnecessarily long story short, I simply LOVE my 9900.
    02-23-12 08:57 AM
    have a look at this vote:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9930-a-672695/
    Hope it helps you decide. The main point is: Its a great phone with a few drawbacks but they are minor compared to its uses.
    02-23-12 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD