I feel my great expectations of the BB9900 are being shattered by the minute.

The phone is connected to the WiFi yet gtalk doesn't work (at all), the Podcast player point blank refuses to subscribe complaining that I have no data plan (wtf? what is the WiFi for?), the App Store works intermittently, complaining now and again that I have no data plan, what the **** is going on?

The browser is barely usable compared even to an old Nexus One, I misclick all the time, it's not responsive and lags for no reason. And then RIM filled it with idiotic bookmarks (myspace? seriously?) which I cannot delete as there's no option to do so that I can find.

The phone required several restarts and one battery pull so far, which doesn't bode well.

Overall the software seems quite poor and the phone much harder to use than I was hoping for. The "data plan" issue for simple applications which should work perfectly when connected to the WiFi smells of stoneage crapware.

I'm starting to feel that I made a rather expensive mistake.
    08-25-11 08:30 AM
    Take it back to the store and buy another one. The 9900 doesn't seem to suit your needs. End of story.
    08-25-11 08:35 AM
    I feel my great expectations of the BB9900 are being shattered by the minute.

The phone is connected to the WiFi yet gtalk doesn't work (at all), the Podcast player point blank refuses to subscribe complaining that I have no data plan (wtf? what is the WiFi for?), the App Store works intermittently, complaining now and again that I have no data plan, what the **** is going on?

The browser is barely usable compared even to an old Nexus One, I misclick all the time, it's not responsive and lags for no reason. And then RIM filled it with idiotic bookmarks (myspace? seriously?) which I cannot delete as there's no option to do so that I can find.

The phone required several restarts and one battery pull so far, which doesn't bode well.

Overall the software seems quite poor and the phone much harder to use than I was hoping for. The "data plan" issue for simple applications which should work perfectly when connected to the WiFi smells of stoneage crapware.

I'm starting to feel that I made a rather expensive mistake.
    You either don't know what you're doing or you're just a troll. Nothing you are describing is a fault of the phone or OS7. Bring it back if you really have one and are experiencing these issues.
    08-25-11 08:42 AM
    You either don't know what you're doing or you're just a troll. Nothing you are describing is a fault of the phone or OS7. Bring it back if you really have one and are experiencing these issues.
    Pure class!!!!!
    08-25-11 08:52 AM
    Alternatively this phone just isn't very good.

If you do know what you're doing, can you offer a reasonable explanation why gtalk or the podcast application need a data plan when connected to a perfectly good wifi?

Even an old Nokia works fine here, not to mention any Android or iPhone. I really worry now that when I go abroad nothing will work on this phone unless I pay a fortune on data roaming charges.

Speaking of the podcast app - in the meantime T-Mobile enabled my data plan, so I could subscribe to a podcast. When I tried to download an episode it refused to do so, stating that I need to disable mass storage support, since I have no memory card inserted.

But no such option exists, there's only "enable compression" and "media card support".

Basically these people have tested the device with only one scenario: having a data plan and a memory card in. If neither is true, the software is hilariously bad and simply doesn't work.
    08-25-11 09:20 AM
    Alternatively this phone just isn't very good.

If you do know what you're doing, can you offer a reasonable explanation why gtalk or the podcast application need a data plan when connected to a perfectly good wifi?

Even an old Nokia works fine here, not to mention any Android or iPhone. I really worry now that when I go abroad nothing will work on this phone unless I pay a fortune on data roaming charges.

Speaking of the podcast app - in the meantime T-Mobile enabled my data plan, so I could subscribe to a podcast. When I tried to download an episode it refused to do so, stating that I need to disable mass storage support, since I have no memory card inserted.

But no such option exists, there's only "enable compression" and "media card support".

Basically these people have tested the device with only one scenario: having a data plan and a memory card in. If neither is true, the software is hilariously bad and simply doesn't work.
    Buddy, a BlackBerry phone without a BlackBerry Internet Service data plan as uselsss and nothing will work as the service has to be activated through the service books.

If you don't want to get a BB Data plan then sell your phone and dont complain about a lovely phone because you don't know how BlackBerry's work.

bye bye
    08-25-11 10:18 AM
    Buddy, a BlackBerry phone without a BlackBerry Internet Service data plan as uselsss and nothing will work as the service has to be activated through the service books.
    There's nothing in the Podcast app that should require interaction with RIM's servers or my mobile phone network. Just put in the link and it should subscribe. Same for the gtalk app. Sounds like a useless limitation to me, in fact, probably poor coding and testing.

After enabling the data plan it managed to subscribe to a feed, but it wouldn't download anything complaining that I must disable "mass storage". Which option does not exist on the whole phone. Just going blindly though the options I discovered that what it really wanted was for me to switch podcast storage from the card (which I don't have yet) to internal memory.

Why didn't it do this by default? What's the point asking the user such a useless question? Why did it ask for an in-existent option to be set? Poor programming and testing.

And it's all like this. With the exception of gmail integration, which, by all accounts, is beyond awful. Even Nokia does it better.

After playing with it for a couple of hours (battery nearly dead, from half charge, in two hours!) I am very disappointed with this phone. Shame I can't take it back.
    08-25-11 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD