Hi all.

Im travelling from Australia to Canada tomorrow for two weeks. I have been testing how I will use my 9900 for email whilst abroad without using my data plan and paying ridiculous roaming charges. Currently I have the network turned off and I'm connected to my local wifi and I have been receiving emails but I have not been able to send any emails from my blackberry using only wifi. The emails indicate they have sent and the little tick appears next to them however the receiver (also me for testing) has not received the email.

Is it possible to also send email through wifi only ob the BB9900? (I have blackberry services but do not have a BES email account)
    06-14-13 06:58 PM
    Welcome to Canada !

Why not pick up a prepaid sim & add a BlackBerry plan ?
    Check out fido.ca
    Your phone is unlocked ?
    06-14-13 11:18 PM
    If you have BIS, you should be able to both send and receive emails over wifi. BUT make sure you have a good wifi connection or they will fall back and use your data plan. Once you have finished sending/receiving, turn off data service.

As the previous poster said, get a local pre paid SIM with BIS. Its a lot safer.
    06-15-13 12:25 PM
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but getting a prepaid Sim with BIS involves configuring all of your email accounts again, and download all service books for the new carrier?

I once did that with a 8520 while visiting another country and I did not like the fact that I had to reconfigure all over again

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 usando Tapatalk 2
    06-15-13 02:16 PM
    I have moved back and forth between Indonesia (Indosat) and USA (T-Mobile) with my 9900 several times. As long as I have BIS enabled on my SIM there is nothing to it. Email works without needing to be reconfigured, everything on the phone except the phone number (and the price I'm paying for service) is just like it was before.

In the USA i live in a very rural area with very poor mobile service. I sit in front of the local library and and use my BB for both BBM and email with absolutely no signal at all. Again it is not a problem. Look up at the top right corner of your display, just to the right of your WiFi signal strength indicator you should see a little BB logo. If you see it everything should work. If you don't see it you are not connected to BIS, and it won't work.
    06-15-13 08:14 PM
    Hi all.

Im travelling from Australia to Canada tomorrow for two weeks. I have been testing how I will use my 9900 for email whilst abroad without using my data plan and paying ridiculous roaming charges. Currently I have the network turned off and I'm connected to my local wifi and I have been receiving emails but I have not been able to send any emails from my blackberry using only wifi. The emails indicate they have sent and the little tick appears next to them however the receiver (also me for testing) has not received the email.

Is it possible to also send email through wifi only ob the BB9900? (I have blackberry services but do not have a BES email account)
    08-25-13 09:28 PM
    I think getting a data plan in order to have your WiFi blackberry send and receive emails or to access the app store, is the most ridiculous, upside-down and backward idea which I find is incompatible in this age of smartphones. No wonder blackbery is falling behind, and if RIM don't watch out, their blackberry devices will certainly become like VHS Tapes. Game over. I have a Sprint HTC EVO4G for 2 years now, and has been witbhout a Data or callng plan for more than a year, and I have access to every feature on my phone via WiFi. I have full access to Google play store; weather data; GPS; Google Maps; Skype;MSN; Sprint Telenav GPS Navigator; plus I can send and receive emails and instant messages without limit. All that through WiFi on an Android device. So what's the use for blackerry? We need to ship these blackberries to third world countries and just declare iPhone and Android the winner. Hope that helps!
    nysanxxx likes this.
    08-25-13 09:57 PM
    I think getting a data plan in order to have your WiFi blackberry send and receive emails or to access the app store, is the most ridiculous, upside-down and backward idea which I find is incompatible in this age of smartphones. No wonder blackbery is falling behind, and if RIM don't watch out, their blackberry devices will certainly become like VHS Tapes. Game over. I have a Sprint HTC EVO4G for 2 years now, and has been witbhout a Data or callng plan for more than a year, and I have access to every feature on my phone via WiFi. I have full access to Google play store; weather data; GPS; Google Maps; Skype;MSN; Sprint Telenav GPS Navigator; plus I can send and receive emails and instant messages without limit. All that through WiFi on an Android device. So what's the use for blackerry? We need to ship these blackberries to third world countries and just declare iPhone and Android the winner. Hope that helps!
    im planning to catch one of the bb10 phones replacing my bb9900 because of these wifi issues. I hope that my hard earned money will not go to waste or maybe thinking of switching to iphone 5
    08-26-13 03:58 AM