hi guys ive security wiped my phone and all my stuff has gone in particular my BBM contacts, but some people who was on my list say im still showing on theres but when they send me a message they are getting a "red X" next to the message, surely if i did a security wipe it would of deleted me off there lists to wouldnt it, or does it just delete the contacts from just my phone because i didnt individually delete them manually on the aplication? Why am i still showing on theres but there not on mine and they are getting a red X when messaging the account?

thanks
    10-01-12 05:13 PM
    You only deleted your copy of the conversations. They still have their copy. You are getting an X because you need to reaccept them as friends in BBM.
    10-01-12 05:51 PM
    You only deleted your copy of the conversations. They still have their copy. You are getting an X because you need to reaccept them as friends in BBM.
    I didn't want to readd them I just wanted to clear everything and they are not on my contact list but I still remain on there's. Is this normal after a security wipe?
    10-01-12 05:54 PM
    Yes, as stated above, they will retain your info on their copy of BBM, albeit they may not be able to see the conversations anymore; that happens sometimes.
    10-01-12 06:03 PM
    Why does it do that though as I thought security wipe would delete me off there list as well as mine. Very strange
    10-01-12 08:08 PM
    It's not strange at all.

Here's how it works --

To remove yourself from the other party's BBM, you have to delete them as a contact in your BBM, which is obviously too late to do now. That is the intended behavior /design of BBM. A security wipe will ONLY remove the local contact data from the security-wiped device, period.
    10-01-12 08:17 PM
    It's not strange at all.

Here's how it works --

To remove yourself from the other party's BBM, you have to delete them as a contact in your BBM, which is obviously too late to do now. That is the intended behavior /design of BBM. A security wipe will ONLY remove the local contact data from the security-wiped device, period.
    Ahh that makes sense now mate I understand that now so for me to get them back if I wanted to the only way would be for me to readd them on my device as when they send me a message they are just getting a red X is that red X because I don't have them as a contact anymore? Sorry for the questions just wanna get my head round it all for future reference your time and helps appreciated
    10-01-12 08:33 PM
    Anyone help with above question?
    10-02-12 08:36 AM
    Anyone help with above question?
    yes that is why. the X means that they don't have a connection to your BBM either because you don't have BBM active or haven't added them to your contact list.
    10-02-12 06:33 PM
    yes that is why. the X means that they don't have a connection to your BBM either because you don't have BBM active or haven't added them to your contact list.
    Ahh ok thank you so when I security wipe it will just wipe my contact list on my phone only but to actually delete on both phones I have to manually delete the contacts on my bbm? Also how come they are getting an X I thought they would get a message like to re-invite? Thanks
    10-02-12 06:37 PM
    Ahh ok thank you so when I security wipe it will just wipe my contact list on my phone only but to actually delete on both phones I have to manually delete the contacts on my bbm? Also how come they are getting an X I thought they would get a message like to re-invite? Thanks
    the security wipe deletes them from your phone and removes the ability for them to contact you over BBM. think of the X as a busy signal when they send you a message. they still have them on their phone thats why its not asking to re-invite you. its when you try to open or access the message it asked you to re-add them.
    10-02-12 06:48 PM
    the security wipe deletes them from your phone and removes the ability for them to contact you over BBM. think of the X as a busy signal when they send you a message. they still have them on their phone thats why its not asking to re-invite you. its when you try to open or access the message it asked you to re-add them.
    Ahh that makes sense so unless I readd there pin myself then they won't be able to Contact me at all? That's what I wanted I wanted the phone clean as I'm thinking of selling the device I just got a bit puzzled when someone said I was still on there contact list after I wiped didn't want the new user having contact with my old bbm contacts. Thanks
    Last edited by billykidd86; 10-02-12 at 09:04 PM.
    10-02-12 07:31 PM
    They could send a pin message to the phone, or an invite, but could not message you via BBM till you accepted an invitation or sent one.

Edit - or if you reloaded a backup from back when they were a contact.
    10-02-12 10:11 PM
    They could send a pin message to the phone, or an invite, but could not message you via BBM till you accepted an invitation or sent one.
    That's great then as long as there is no further direct contact through bbm. Hopefully they will just delete me themselves when they get the red X symbol
    10-02-12 10:16 PM

Edit - or if you reloaded a backup from back when they were a contact.
    Just seen your edit there was no back up to restore from it was a clean security wipe it just worried me that they could see me on bbm but I couldn't see them as my list was empty
    10-02-12 10:24 PM
    They only see the you you left behind. Were you to change anything on your BBM now, it wouldn't affect their view at all.

Funny, most people are concerned about losing all their contacts, not keeping them lost.
    10-02-12 10:40 PM
    They only see the you you left behind. Were you to change anything on your BBM now, it wouldn't affect their view at all.

Funny, most people are concerned about losing all their contacts, not keeping them lost.
    Haha very true least I'm in the minority thanks for your help its really appreciated
    10-02-12 10:45 PM
    You're too funny!
    10-02-12 11:10 PM
    Haha if you knew my Contacts you would wanna get rid to!!

As a quick side question say if a phone had no data or simcard in and I deleted someone from the bbm contact list directly, would that still only delete them from just my phone as there is no Internet service to process the delete on the other users device?
    10-03-12 07:54 AM
    If a tree falls in the forest.....

If you aren't connected to the RIM servers, then no, but then, would it matter anyway?
    10-03-12 08:15 AM
    Haha no it wouldn't matter its just when I did the wipe ect there was no data on the account or simcard in so was wondering if the security wipe still did the same job without the account being active
    10-03-12 08:31 AM
    A security wipe removes the data from your phone. Nothing more, nothing less.
    10-03-12 08:37 AM
    A security wipe removes the data from your phone. Nothing more, nothing less.
    You Sir have been a great help and very patient with me thanks for all the help
    10-03-12 08:38 AM
    It was nothing.

(I took a valium every time you posted)

MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-03-12 08:46 AM
    Hahaha I don't blame you to be honest
    10-03-12 08:49 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD