Hey guys

Just a thought...I had an old bb8310 a few years back and it became too old and had small memory left. So I decided to get an iPhone (I blame it on peer pressure. I really wanted the new Torch at the time but got persuaded to buy the apple)....1 year and two months later I had major BB withdrawals so I sold my iPhone and bought a bb Curve 9360.

HOWEVER...I really want a BB Bold 9900!!! Mainly becos it looks better, slightly bigger and of course it also has touch screen. I don't miss the touch screen feature that the apple had. Once I got rid of the apple phone I never tried once to touch my BB9360 screen - I went straight for the keys and trackpad which is what I missed the most among many other features of the BB.

Shall I buy a BB Bold 9900 and have my curve as a backup? Or shall I do the smart thing and wait until my curve dies? My curve is only 6 months old so I don't think its going to die anytime soon. But BlackBerry's are not popular in New Zealand - well not as much as they are in USA, UK and India and other countries so I don't think I can sell the Curve.

Any thoughts??
    12-08-12 09:20 PM
    If you're really into BlackBerry, the Bold is a big step up from the Curve line. See if you can get hands-on with a live one and give it a go. The feel is really quite different. So many will tell you they aren't a good phone, but I know many who swear by them.

Just consider that BB 10 devices are on the horizon, and bring a whole new twist to the game. Choose well and enjoy your choice.
    neeshie likes this.
    12-08-12 09:30 PM
    Wait for the BB10 it's coming out end of January !
    12-08-12 09:42 PM
    i dont think we can make a decision for you.. you will know at the end what you want a iphone or a bb... but i wouldnt get a 9900 if you want a bb i would just wait for bb 10
    neeshie likes this.
    12-08-12 09:43 PM
    If you like the Curve keyboard, you'll probably have a heart attack when you use the Bold's. It is the best phone RIM has ever made. I've had a 9900 since August 2011 and am still in love with the keyboard. It's a pretty big step up from the 9360, and doesn't have that plastic feel that most Curves do, or the clicky keyboard (I had a gold and a silver 8320 and a 8900). The Bold feels really solid yet slim, probably because it has the metal ring around the outside. Before I had a 9900, I had a Bold 9780, and wasn't sure if I'd even like the touchscreen since I had never had a phone with one before. But as soon as I started using the 9900, I realized that it's pretty cool to have, and now when I help my mom with stuff on her 9780, it feels weird to not be able to touch anything on the screen.

You should really try one in a store and then buy online from eBay or something, so you don't have to pay the full retail price from your carrier. I liked my black 9900 so much, I bought a white one online because no carrier in the U.S. sells the white. So I bought it already unlocked and put my sim card in and am able to use it on T-Mobile and still get the "4G" speeds (even though the phone says 3G because it's from Canada and T-Mobile's "4G" is really just fast 3G). But yeah, it works great and everything works, and I only paid $420, which is a lot better than $500 or $600 or whatever carriers charge for full retail of the 9900.
    neeshie likes this.
    12-08-12 09:52 PM
    I'm with SK122387, go with the 9900, if you've just absolutely have to have something now, especially if you want a physical keyboard. Otherwise wait a few months and get an N series. That being said, I think my 9930 (9900 for you) is by far the best phone I've owned yet. So much so that unless I find the N series spectacular and feel I can survive being without a trackpad, I'll keep it. The combination of touchscreen and physical keyboard/trackpad is the ultimate combination, in my opinion. Excellent build quality as well as classy looking, much better than the dated brick look of the iPhone. To top it off, since the last update, even better battery life than previous, by an average 20% for me. I think the battery saving mode is doing a good job. Several times I was surprised by a new icon popping up and realized it was the battery saving icon notifying me of an app using excessive amounts of resources. Either way, it's your decision OP. Depends on your patience
    neeshie likes this.
    12-08-12 10:30 PM
    I went from a Bold 9700 to a Bold 9900 last December. The change from that was amazing, I love my 9900 so much! I get so much work and play done in a day haha I will hopefully upgrade again to the L series come Q1 2013.
    12-08-12 11:18 PM
    I switched from a 9360 to a 9900 just a month ago, but I bought a pre-owned 9900,just to get over the waiting period for BB 10 devices due in Feb 13. Like a few above said wait till Feb 13 for the new BB os, rather than buying a 9900.
    neeshie likes this.
    12-09-12 12:44 AM
    Thanks for your feedback. Your totally right on how the Curves are plastic-y! As @Berger Kind said I guess I'll have to go to my local carrier and try it out. Thats another thing I love - I love how the Bold is solid. With the 9360 if I have it without a case I feel like I'm going to drop it. So do you use both phones seperately like have a number for each?

^^^ This was meant to be in reply to SK122387 ..still getting the hang of this
    12-09-12 12:53 AM
    I'm with SK122387, go with the 9900, if you've just absolutely have to have something now, especially if you want a physical keyboard. Otherwise wait a few months and get an N series. That being said, I think my 9930 (9900 for you) is by far the best phone I've owned yet. So much so that unless I find the N series spectacular and feel I can survive being without a trackpad, I'll keep it. The combination of touchscreen and physical keyboard/trackpad is the ultimate combination, in my opinion. Excellent build quality as well as classy looking, much better than the dated brick look of the iPhone. To top it off, since the last update, even better battery life than previous, by an average 20% for me. I think the battery saving mode is doing a good job. Several times I was surprised by a new icon popping up and realized it was the battery saving icon notifying me of an app using excessive amounts of resources. Either way, it's your decision OP. Depends on your patience
    Thanks! I hated not having the keyboard on the iphone. BB is so faster with typing!! I love the classy look of the Bold!! Theres just somthing about it!! Lol I have no patience...hence my fast purchase on the curve but now I regret it and wish I got the Bold. I brain is telling to me wait for BB10 but that bold doesn't have the trackpad I think. I think I will go play around with a Bold at my local and get the feel of it...my task for tomorrow!!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-09-12 12:58 AM
    I've got a Curve 8330 and love that darn thing. you couldn't be more correct about the small amount of memory though :banghead: that's my only annoyance with the phone, well that and its paltry 2mp camera. Id take it over my 9550 any day however for its keyboard alone! I've never had a 99xx series phone personally but I have held and used one. In a word: elegant.
    12-09-12 01:17 AM
    thatnks guys!! well i guess il go have a play with the Bold and also do some research on the BB10 Bold. i guess the question is do i keep my curve and have two phones or just save the Curve as a back up ...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-09-12 02:19 AM
    thatnks guys!! well i guess il go have a play with the Bold and also do some research on the BB10 Bold. i guess the question is do i keep my curve and have two phones or just save the Curve as a back up ...

I've got the curve as well as the Storm 2. surprisingly the Storm is my backup, and it has all of my music on it so it acts as my BB-branded iPod-touch, so to speak. in short, its always a good idea to keep a spare device (especially one that's of the same platform) around for emergencies. because you just never know when they will arise...
    12-09-12 02:26 AM
    Thanks for your feedback. Your totally right on how the Curves are plastic-y! As @Berger Kind said I guess I'll have to go to my local carrier and try it out. Thats another thing I love - I love how the Bold is solid. With the 9360 if I have it without a case I feel like I'm going to drop it. So do you use both phones seperately like have a number for each?

^^^ This was meant to be in reply to SK122387 ..still getting the hang of this
    I have T-Mobile, a GSM carrier in the United States that uses sim cards (you have the 9360 so you have one too!) I just switch my sim card out between my white and black 9900s and my Torch 9810, so my phone number is always the same, and then I just move my BBM list to whichever phone I'm on, that way my friends can talk to me on one BBM name and I'll always get the message.

It sounds like a hassle, but it's really not. Some people collect shoes or CDs or I don't know, stamps or coins haha. I've always loved having multiple BlackBerrys. I think they're each special, even though they're just phones. My first was the Pearl 8100, then I got the 8800 in black and then the 8820 in this nice dark blue. Then I got the gray/silver Curve 8320 and saw the gold one and had to have it. Then the Curve 8900 came out and had that black trackball, and that phone was really awesome. Then I was kinda sad the Bold 9000 never was released on T-Mobile, so I bought an at&t branded one from Best Buy for like $600. It was so nice, with a keyboard almost as good as the 9900's. The downside was that at&t and T-Mobile have different frequencies, so I couldn't use the 3G that the Bold had, all I had was EDGE on T-Mobile, but on WiFi, the internet was super fast. I spilled beer on my 9000 and it never worked again Then I got a black Bold 9700 and loved that thing. Until the Bold 9780 came out, and I got it in white. Then I got it the 9780 in black too and that was what I used until my black 9900.

If you do get a Bold 9900, you'll get to switch your sim card between your Curve and your Bold. I've played with the 9360 in a T-Mobile store, I really like how thin it is, and how it looks just as nice as the Bold, with the chrome-looking ring on the outside and the light-up trackpad. Keep us posted on what you end up deciding on!
    12-09-12 03:45 AM
    I would just wait for the BB10. It's only less than 2 months away (from the announcement, at least). Maybe another month before we can get it in our hands.

BUT if you have money to spare, then the 9900 is highly, highly, highly recommended. I've used so many BB's in the past and the 9900 rises above all of it.
    12-09-12 06:31 AM
    I adore my 9900, upgraded a year ago when I had a 9700.
    12-09-12 02:55 PM
    I have T-Mobile, a GSM carrier in the United States that uses sim cards (you have the 9360 so you have one too!) I just switch my sim card out between my white and black 9900s and my Torch 9810, so my phone number is always the same, and then I just move my BBM list to whichever phone I'm on, that way my friends can talk to me on one BBM name and I'll always get the message.

It sounds like a hassle, but it's really not. Some people collect shoes or CDs or I don't know, stamps or coins haha. I've always loved having multiple BlackBerrys. I think they're each special, even though they're just phones. My first was the Pearl 8100, then I got the 8800 in black and then the 8820 in this nice dark blue. Then I got the gray/silver Curve 8320 and saw the gold one and had to have it. Then the Curve 8900 came out and had that black trackball, and that phone was really awesome. Then I was kinda sad the Bold 9000 never was released on T-Mobile, so I bought an at&t branded one from Best Buy for like $600. It was so nice, with a keyboard almost as good as the 9900's. The downside was that at&t and T-Mobile have different frequencies, so I couldn't use the 3G that the Bold had, all I had was EDGE on T-Mobile, but on WiFi, the internet was super fast. I spilled beer on my 9000 and it never worked again Then I got a black Bold 9700 and loved that thing. Until the Bold 9780 came out, and I got it in white. Then I got it the 9780 in black too and that was what I used until my black 9900.

If you do get a Bold 9900, you'll get to switch your sim card between your Curve and your Bold. I've played with the 9360 in a T-Mobile store, I really like how thin it is, and how it looks just as nice as the Bold, with the chrome-looking ring on the outside and the light-up trackpad. Keep us posted on what you end up deciding on!
    haha thats soo true how some people have an addiction to shoes etc and some (including myself) are addicted to Blackberrys. I suppose it would be nice to have the option of having the two phones. I feel like the Bold today and perhaps the Curve tomorrow lol.

I haven't had a chance to try the Bold out yet. Maybe today in my lunch break. I have the money to buy another phone but not sure if i can justify having to spend $800 (thats how much it is here without contract). I think its becos I've only had to buy phones when my one has crapped out. Yeah the 9360 is pretty good looking compared to some new Curve phones but i dunno there's just something about the Bold.

Wow you've been through a few BB's . The Curve 9360 is only my second.

12-10-12 02:36 PM
    I would just wait for the BB10. It's only less than 2 months away (from the announcement, at least). Maybe another month before we can get it in our hands.

BUT if you have money to spare, then the 9900 is highly, highly, highly recommended. I've used so many BB's in the past and the 9900 rises above all of it.
    do you know if the BB10 Bold has a trackpad? I'm sure I've seen a picture of it without one..

12-10-12 02:37 PM